HDMI port of Swift 3 (SF314-57G-78HJ) cannot detact external VGA monitor

Rohimah
Rohimah Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
On 19th May 2020, I purchased an Acer notebook (Model: SF314-57G-78HJ) from an Acer dealer in Selangor, Malaysia. On 27th May 2020, I tried to display on a second monitor of VGA input using HDMI cable and VGA to HDMI adapter. However, no display appeared. Thinking that possibly the cable and adapter are faulty, I repeat the same procedure with my old Acer Nitro 5 notebook which resulted to successful display on the second monitor. That evening I sent the notebook to Acer Customer Service Center and the technician informed me that the HDMI port of Swift 3  has higher power consumption and thus suggested that I only use HDMI cable. However, this is not possible as the monitor at home and projector in the office are old designs which equipped with VGA input only. Please suggest on how I can resolve this issue with minimum cost involved. Thank you. 

Best Answer

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Good Morning Rohimah !

Most devices do not support "adapters".
    Then there are some options:
    Purchase an HDMi monitor
    Purchase a converter (usually of high value)
    Natively, you should always use the original device port

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

Answers

• MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Good Morning Rohimah !

Most devices do not support "adapters".
    Then there are some options:
    Purchase an HDMi monitor
    Purchase a converter (usually of high value)
    Natively, you should always use the original device port

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Rohimah
    Thank you MaClane for your kind suggestion. I appreciated it very much.
    The option to purchase a HDMI monitor is acceptable when I'm working from home. But when I work in the office(after covid19 lockdown is lifed) many of projectors are still using VGA input. Probably I need to purchase the original HDMI to VGA adapter by Acer as you suggested. But will this actually work with  Acer Swift 3(Model: SF314-57G-78HJ)? Hopefully anybody who has similar experience as I have can share their opinion here. Thank you.
  • MaClane
    In that case it would not be an adapter but a converter.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Rohimah
    Thank you again MaClane, this evening I plan to find this adapter or convertor. I shall bring the Acer Swift 3 notebook to test if it works. Thank you again. 
  • MaClane
    Inform me here as soon as you test!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™