Aspire Switch 10V SW5-014 Missing Network Adaptor

Options
yesmaybe
yesmaybe Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello,

I have an Aspire SW5-014 which I have just performed a partition format and USB reinstall of Win10 ver 1909 18363.592.  Previously Windows was fine but I couldn't update because of size issues (30GB hard drive) and there was a lot of corrupt files and bloatware.

Luckily it is a version with a SIM card. During the Windows setup it found the Sim card driver and gave the connection.  But this is the only Network Adaptor showing.  I have tried restarting, installing Acer drivers, resetting Network connections, etc.

I have tried (at least twice) to install the Wireless LAN (as below) but it fails  due to 'error 'Update.cpp 1203' has occurred ..'

Any advice?
thanks.
Andy

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/6486?b=1&pn=NT.G5YEK.002

Wireless LAN
Wireless LAN Driver (HAI)
Date: 2017/02/21
Version: 5.93.103.23
Vendor: Broadcom
Size: 30.9 MB

Answers

• yesmaybe
    Options
    Right, once I put in a sim card which had more 3G allowance I was able to download all the updates.  One of them fixed the Network Adaptor settings and even before a restart the available networks were again showing.  If I didn't have a SIM card, or a device without 3G I don't know how I would have been able to download the required updates.  Be warned.  It would be better to have the updates as a selection so we can check/uncheck to decide in which order they are downloaded.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    edited May 2020
    Options
    We always recommend downloading all the drivers from the Acer site for your model to a flash drive before starting a reinstall of the OS, just for this reason. Though you can usually get by with just wireless drivers. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • yesmaybe
    Options
    Hi Billsey,  thanks for the reply.  I had the Acer drivers, but it turns out the Wireless LAN Driver (HAI) couldn't be installed until there was an update to the Windows software, a bit of a catch 22.  It's like trying to fill a car with fuel when the fuel tank is missing.  Anyway the laptop is back up and running again.  However, my efforts were to little avail.  Previously there was 7GB free storage including parts of McAfee which couldn't be uninstalled.  Now with a fresh install and lots of updates, there is 5.88GB free space! That's before any programs have been installed and without any backup.  Windows just keeps on getting bigger 22.6GB in this case.  I wonder if there's any space inside these tablets to install an extra drive, rather than use an external drive (somewhat defeats the purpose of having such a small nifty portable tablet).
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    By default Windows keeps the installers for the updates handy so it can, if needed, uninstall them or reinstall them. They can take up a lot of room and although they'll eventually go away it can be a lot of pain while you are waiting. Luckily if you run Disk Cleanup and tell it to clean system files it'll remove most of not all of them for you. Give it a try and let us know how much room it makes.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.