My "Sleep" F1 button puts my Aspire 3 - A315 into Black Screen mode! No recovery!

Options
Trainerchbduncan
Trainerchbduncan Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
My computer is about 2 months old and this has happened once before, where I hit the F1 key instead of the ESC key. It immediately went into "Black-Screen" mode, where the power and fan are running, but no display! Did a battery reset, Tried soft-reboot by holding the power key down for 30 seconds plus, unplugged all peripherals and tried "F2", ALT F10, and the CTRl, Windows,Shift + B" combo, all to no avail... It "Revived" by itself before, but I hit the key again and now it has been the same for a day and a half and counting...

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options
    Sounds like it is Hibernating.Try holding the battery reset for 60 seconds. If it does come back on and your Power Options, change Advanced Power settings, Sleep setting has Hibernate and  has Hybrid sleep, change them to off and never. I don't know if this will help, but worth a try.
  • Trainerchbduncan
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it - still, no go. It has been two and a half days, nothing has worked yet.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    Options
    First, don't press F1, to put the laptop into sleep mode do this in future:

Or do this:

Built-in command line

Simply put, running the following command puts the computer in Sleep mode.

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

Well, it’s actually not accurate. If the hibernation is enabled, the same command actually puts the computer in hibernation instead of sleeping.

You will need to turn the Hibernation off if you need to put the computer in sleep mode.

powercfg -h off

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

powercfg -h on

The last one in line re-enables the Hibernation after the computer wakes up. You better put the above commands in a batch file so it all runs automatically. The batch file will need the local admin rights to run, meaning to be executed from an elevated command prompt, but you can overcome this by following this cool tip
  • Trainerchbduncan
    Options
    Update! I tried the battery reset button for what seemed like the umpteenth time, and it worked! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You to all you who offered your well-meaning advice! Final difference? Followed "philetus's" advice, held the battery reset for 30 seconds and then... left it alone for a at least 5 minutes, something that I hoped made the difference!
  • Trainerchbduncan
    Options
    So 6 weeks later, same thing! Closed laptop for the night, directly reopened it to check something and nada! For 5 days and counting... time to call in the big guns...
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    OK, do the battery reset but be sure to take the full wait time for each step. Shut down and disconnect power, press and hold the reset button for 15-30 seconds, release the button and go have a cup of coffee (or your favorite beverage) and wait 15-30 minutes before plugging the power back in. Wait for the indicator to show full charge and turn it back on.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Trainerchbduncan
    Options
    I followed these steps to the letter! But to no avail  Computer is still non-responsive, I'm now in the phase of returning to manufacturer. Thx for your help!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    OK, so we can pretty much assume it's not a corrupted battery profile. Next most common is an app that's running amok and doesn't handle sleep modes. Try testing in safe mode and try testing with all non-Microsoft startup apps disabled. If we can get it to act correctly we can then gradually add things back in until it breaks again, pointing a finger at the suspect.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.