My Acer Nitro 5 would rather throttle than turn up the fans. Why?

Ninjakitty844
Ninjakitty844 Member Posts: 38 Troubleshooter
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Model: AN515-54-51M5
It gets really really hot while playing games, if I touch the top of the keyboard it's actually almost painfully hot, and the heat coming out from the side stings my mouse hand. I have coolboost enabled and everything, but I have to use the fan speed sliders if I want the fans to actually get to higher speeds at which the laptop doesn't thermal throttle. (I've already repasted everything, that's not the problem)

Why won't it just turn up the fans by itself? By adjusting fan speed manually I have to deal with loud fans even when I'm only watching YouTube videos, so I have to go back into the nitro menu and set fan speed back to auto every time I'm done playing games, which is pretty annoying.

Answers

• I believe that a more improved control of the fan curve, you would only get it, if the bios contained this function.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Ninjakitty844
    I believe that a more improved control of the fan curve, you would only get it, if the bios contained this function.

I'm not sure what this means. Is this what the laptop does by default? Or is this an improved fan curve? Is there a way to change the fan curve?
  • is the temperature table vs the fan rotation. The only way to change the fan curves would be if there was a function in the bios. Now, have you checked this link? Red-Sand ThrottleStop Undervolt Profiles Pre-Made — Acer Community
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Ninjakitty844
    is the temperature table vs the fan rotation. The only way to change the fan curves would be if there was a function in the bios. Now, have you checked this link? Red-Sand ThrottleStop Undervolt Profiles Pre-Made — Acer Community

I've seen that page before, but it says "i5-9300H coming soon", so there isn't one for my processor yet

• this is because it is necessary for someone or some user to lend the notebook with this processor so that red-sand can run the tests and create the processor profile on throttlestop. Now, have you tried to limit the processor to 99% in power options and put the system's cooling policy in passive mode?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Ninjakitty844
    this is because it is necessary for someone or some user to lend the notebook with this processor so that red-sand can run the tests and create the processor profile on throttlestop. Now, have you tried to limit the processor to 99% in power options and put the system's cooling policy in passive mode?
    When I do that my performance drops way too much for me to comfortably play games, but it does get a lot less hot. I think what this does is it runs the fans less and automatically lowers the performance to whatever level it needs to be at for it to not have to run the fans that high.

• Ninjakitty844
    is the temperature table vs the fan rotation. The only way to change the fan curves would be if there was a function in the bios. Now, have you checked this link? Red-Sand ThrottleStop Undervolt Profiles Pre-Made — Acer Community

I've seen that page before, but it says "i5-9300H coming soon", so there isn't a profile for my processor yet

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Ninjakitty844

The config they used lowered performance way too much for me. I started trying to make my own config, all default settings except cpu core is undervolted by 115. It works really well; it performs well and the temperature is better. There is still the problem that the temperature will slowly increase over time to throttling temperatures though. I just wish it would turn up the fans more xd
  • what happens when you change the cooling policy to passive mode?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Ninjakitty844
    what happens when you change the cooling policy to passive mode?

I actually can barely tell the difference. I think the performance might go down a little but the temperature stays about the same.
  • What happens when you lower the processor performance to 99% in power options?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Ninjakitty844
    What happens when you lower the processor performance to 99% in power options?

Now it gets really hot without thermal throttling. It's up to like 93 degrees after an hour, which seems kinda dangerously hot for this laptop.
  • When you leave the processor at 99% and leave the cooling policy in "active" mode, do you still have temperature problems?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Ninjakitty844
    When you leave the processor at 99% and leave the cooling policy in "active" mode, do you still have temperature problems?

There's basically no difference
  • Ninjakitty844
    Wow somehow my laptop is using more power than it's getting from ac
  • Sometimes, acer updates the thermal table. Have you checked if a bios update helps to solve the problem?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Ninjakitty844
    Sometimes, acer updates the thermal table. Have you checked if a bios update helps to solve the problem?

I've heard the new bios update has problems. The keyboard light will turn off even if the laptop is plugged in. I don't want that to happen.
  • I will invite colleague @GAMING6698 to participate in this topic as well.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,297 Pathfinder
    @Ninjakitty844
    Use hard-flat surface for better ventilation
    When did you buy this laptop?
    Btw, it is GPU or CPU because undervolt only affects CPU
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566