latest windows update is not compatible with acer. what do i do?

Options
imabooknut
imabooknut Member Posts: 6 New User

the latest window updates were just downloaded to my laptop last night, and a message came up when I started my laptop today saying that the update is not compatible with Acer machines.  And, within less than 5 min, my computer completely shut off right in the middle of something.  What do I do?

Answers

• Bx
    Bx Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I have the same problem.  Last night I reset my laptop back to previous settings before update but when I logged off the Windows updates downloaded again!  I didn't redset this time - I rebooted my modem.  I'm up and running but programmes keep dropping out and resetting.  Not sure what I should do - if anything!

• boons34
    boons34 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

same issue, unemployed and don't have the $38 to "ask the experts".

• mrdolby
    mrdolby Member Posts: 26

Tinkerer

Options

start a repair and do a system restore, once done turn off wif and then turn off auto updates.

• Julitime
    Julitime Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I have an Aspire One D257 and am having issues but cannot find my model here, or at the Acer Website. You should state what type of notebook/laptop you have in your message and it might be more helpful if another person has the same issue.

I have a feeling we're all experiencing the same thing and my feeling is Acer is no longer supporting this particular notebook but are keeping silent on this fact. If I find any help, I'll certainly let you know.

• imabooknut
    Options

if i do a system restore ( which I am not super confident about) and then turn off wif(whatever that is) and turn off auto updates, then what will happen the next time an update comes out eventually you will need to update windows for security etc. but then it will try to update it then.  So how do you ever get past this?  I likely shouldn't keep windows in the previous way for ever??  Please help.

• imabooknut
    Options

by the way, I have the Aspire 5733series laptop

• Bx
    Options

Thanx for the feedback.  I have a Aspire 5733Z and it's is only 1 year old.

• imabooknut
    Options

I only got mine a year ago too!

• mrdolby
    mrdolby Member Posts: 26

Tinkerer

Options

to answer

if an update comes out and you visit here and see the it causing issues, dont apply it,

Your not obliged to load every update from MS, some are just there for specific issues.

You can pick and choose, im sure i saw a web page where the author explained it, do a google

• boons34
    boons34 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

so you are saying turn off auto updates? If so, it seems soon without updates my laptop will become ineffective and useless. This does not make me a happy camper as I have only had it 10 months and now find myself regretting the purchase of an inferior product with lack of proper support of it's preinstalled manufacturer programs.

Never had this issue with Dell or HP.....why is Acer so unconcerned with it's reputation and consumer market ?

• imabooknut
    Options

ok, so how do i go back to the previous settings?  Could someone please advise?

• Bx
    Options

Hi imabooknut.  Try going through Control Panel > System & Security > Action Centre > Recovery.  Here you can then restore your computer to an earlier time.

• imabooknut
    Options

Ok, I rolled it back and it seems everything is ok for now.  I am concerned about this whole thing and wondering what the future will be like with this laptop now, but feeling much better none the less now.  Thank-you to those that helped me.

This discussion has been closed.