A serious question involving a failure in dual booting with Ubuntu and Windows 7.

Sirus_u
Sirus_u Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited April 12 in 2020 Archives
Heyo Acer Community, for any of those in the Ubuntu community or people with experience who know a lot about dual booting. I had a serious problem come to me when i installed Ubuntu 20.04 alongside Windows 7 and the problem is that i had to free a partition and i accidentally deleted the Boot partition ( the 100 MB partition ). I sadly don't have the Windows 7 Installation Media USB thingy because i don't know my own Product Key because well, that was a long time ago, and this is a laptop and i've checked for the product key on the battery and basically any place that dosen't require too much tinkering because i'm very unlucky when it comes to messing with stuff, because stuff like THIS happens and it just breaks my soul because i love to tinker with technology. Now the question i have for y'all is, can i use the Main Partition ( the primary Partition that holds my files and games and junk ). Turns out i need 4 files for booting up windows, which was Bootmgr, BCD, winload. winresume, and these files are located in the partition, and another thing is that the partition back in the Windows Disk app, said it was labeled as a Boot, Primary, and etc. I'm scared to add it to the grub menu because i feel like it'll mess with my files or something, since it'll be treated as a boot manager, and i don't want anything being corrupted or deleted. Please help me on this, thanks!

Comments

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good evening Sirus_u !

Your questions are very complex and advanced to solve.
    Do you have such advanced knowledge in systems, programming base, sheel script and command line?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Sirus_u
    Sirus_u Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    edited May 2020
    MaClane said:
    Good evening Sirus_u !

Your questions are very complex and advanced to solve.
    Do you have such advanced knowledge in systems, programming base, sheel script and command line?

I wouldn't really consider myself advanced. But I'd rather say, i have a lot knowledge on everything about computing and I'm only scratching the surface of advance because I'm going out of my comfort zone by doing extremely risky stuff that can harm my computer which i normally wouldn't do this but windows 10 is iffy for my acer nitro 5 and i wanted to swap to Ubuntu ( great results ) and i have confidence to do this kind of stuff since i successfully did it on my personal computer, which is my Acer Nitro 5, and it didn't need any extra steps like deleting partitions,  which is where i messed up at, because the boot partition ( 100 MB partition ) on my windows 7 computer was labeled as recovery for some odd reason and i wasn't prepared for that. Besides that, i just need to know if having those four files can be used as a boot manager to boot up windows 7 without ruining the files or anything like that, i know how to set it up and make Grub ( Ubuntu's menu for booting ) recognize it, but I'm honestly scared and i normally don't go to help for this kind of stuff since i like learning on my own, but since my entire hard drive is at risk while doing this, I'm conflicted on if it'll damage it or not.
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    In that case, the best option would be to reinstall all systems.
    The partition that was deleted has indexing and links in Windows.
    That way, even if you create another partition, it will possibly have errors.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!