Travelmate B117 WIll Not Boot Past Splash Screen or Complete Reset

Frankthedog
Frankthedog Member Posts: 45 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I cannot get past the Acer Splash Screen to boot up or reset this laptop. I can get into the (ALT, F10) Windows Recovery but nothing I have tried seems to help. (I have tried everything there). For example, I can do a full reset but the reset gets to 87%, then apparently tries to boot into Windows 10 and the machine hangs up on the splash screen. I can get to the Command Prompt - nothing else I have tried has worked. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Can you get into the BIOS? If so double check the boot options and make sure it's still set for UEFI boot. Next get to the command prompt and run diskpart then use "list disk", "list vol" and "list part" to see how your drive is configured. Report back with the output.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Frankthedog
    I can get into the BIOS. It is still set for UEFI. I tried booting from a USB CD and it wouldn't get past the splash screen. Just now, I used some online instructions using DISKPART commands to fix the MBR, etc. When I tried to reset Win, it actually got through the whole reset, then when it came time to boot up, it would not get past that splash screen.

• billsey
    You just have to "sel disk 0" before the "list part". Everything looks good, the UEFI boot partition is there and the right size (100MB), the disk is set as GPT. It sounds as if you are getting to the very beginning of the Windows load where it either fails or hangs. The best bet at this point is probably to reinstall from scratch. Is there anything on that drive you need? If so copy it off from that command prompt.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Frankthedog
    The laptop will not boot from either USB port (tried from both a bootable cd and a WIN 10 I got using the MS Media Creation Tool).
    I am lost here.
    What could I copy using the Command Prompt that would make the laptop boot?
    Would it help for me to remove the battery? Do I have some sort of fatal hardware error?
    No matter what I have tried, I get the Acer splash screen and that is it!
  • Frankthedog
    Is there a way to Update the BIOS with the FN & ESC keys? The only BIOS update I see on the Acer website is a Win file. I cannot get anything to boot up on the laptop.
  • billsey
    edited May 2020
    Go into the BIOS and capture the settings, let's start looking there for why you can't boot from the installation image.
  • Frankthedog
    edited May 2020
    I am using the Default Settings in the BIOS. I have tried changing lots of settings but put it back on default. What BIOS Pages do you want ?
  • billsey
    In order to figure out why you can't boot from the USB with a valid install image we need to see the BIOS boot type, Secure boot status, Supervisor password status, F12 boot menu status and maybe one or two other settings. It's easiest if you just capture each screen... :)
  • Frankthedog
    edited May 2020

Edited the content to hide sensitive information
    Acer-Samuel
  • billsey
    Ok, on the second image you have the F12 Boot Menu disabled. Enable it by selecting with the cursor, pressing Enter to get the options, then cursor the correct value. On the next screen there are two things needed. We want to disable secure boot by marking all UEFI images as trusted. To do that we first need to set a Supervisor Password. Hit Enter when it's highlighted and put an easy to remember password in. We'll remove it later after your system is back up and running. Once the password is set you should be able to cursor down the the Select all UEFI as trusted line and hit enter. Save and exit.
    At this point you should be able to boot from the USB drive, just press the F12 key at startup and choose the USB drive to boot from.
    Once you have the OS reinstalled and you're good, enter the BIOS again. On the third screen use Restore Secure Boot to Factory, then remove the Supervisor password and optionally turn the boot menu back off. Let me know how it works out.
  • Frankthedog
    Will do and thanks so much again, I really appreciate it
  • Frankthedog
    There is no "Select all UEFI". It says "Select a UEFI file as trusted for executing", when I hit Enter, it says "EMMC", if I hit enter on that it says <EFI>, if I hit enter on that, it shows 3 directories (Microsoft, Boot and OEM).
    Please advise
  • Frankthedog
    No luck. Still won't boot past splash screen.
  • billsey
    Try it with the flash drive installed. It should allow you to choose the same type of entries from it.
  • Frankthedog
    I am giving up on the Travelmate. I want to thank you again for all your efforts trying to help me, I really appreciate it
  • billsey
    I'm sorry we couldn't manage a solution. Even these older computers can still be useful. I gifted five different laptops this year to people who had nothing to use to have their kids do the online learning thing. All were older than yours... but still worked.