Upgrade memory Aspire A515-54G

Puraw
Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,532 Pathfinder
Kingston KVR24S17D8/16, 16GB 2Rx8 2G x 64-Bit PC4-2400,CL17 260-Pin SODIMM (see PDF attached)
This is my memory slot configuration (removable 4GB SODIMM is in slot 1)

I plan to buy 2x KVR24S17D8/16, 16GB 2Rx8 2G x 64-Bit PC4-2400, CL17 260-Pin SODIMM, and mount those in slots 1 and 2 (discard the 4GB module)
Question: Will this work, will the modules pair and be accepted by the (2 channel) mbo controller as Dual Channel?
All comments appreciated.

Answers

• ctx1769
    ctx1769 Member Posts: 24 Networker
    I'm looking at doubling my ram in A515-54G (N18Q13) version, but need to know the maximum ram it can take without causing a bottleneck that would slow it down. I only have one memory slot. 
  • Puraw
    edited May 2020
    I believe you are responding to CTX1969 question and not my original post: As you know Aspire 5 A515-5xx series come in 100s different "flavors". According to the table in my post, received from Acer Support in the Philippines last week, I have two slots with a 4GB removable SODIMM (not soldered) in slot 1 (the simple 4GB Hynix module that came with my laptop has no EEPROM, no SPD info, zilch) I believe my model can be upgraded to 32 GB. I have not opened my laptop to check this out physically as that would break the Acer warranty seal and as there is no detailed information provided/available to users in the (generic) Acer guides I have to completely rely on info I am getting on this forum and by e-mail directly from Acer Philippines where I bought my laptop last February. I have no idea why Acer's maintenance guides for specific models are kept away from customers while sealing off access to the inside of laptops so we cannot check what we bought, to me that comes across as a poor marketing strategy. (most other brand laptops I used provide manuals or are available in the public domain with part numbers and technical information like this topic). But if you are correct for my model I will have to break the seal of my laptop before deciding how to upgrade my memory and if there is a malfunction with my laptop before February 2021 I won't be able to get it repaired in the Philippines under Acer's 1 year warranty clause (confirmed by Acer in the Philippines). Meanwhile I received an e-mail from Kingston to stick to the KCP series recommended by Acer for all 100s of 515-5xx models??

• ctx1769
    That response was for you, I have an 8gb ram stick with 1 slot only
  • Puraw
    edited May 2020
    @ctx1769
    Our models come with at least 2 different memory slot configuration: Mine has 4GB removable in slot 1 and slot 2 is empty. Like yours: 8 GB in slot 1 and no slot 2. There appears also a 20GB max. memory upgrade model mentioned by Acer and I thought I had that one. I ordered 2 KCP 16 GB (32 GB total) modules and hope there will be no surprises when I open my laptop..... Acer Philippines claims I can upgrade to 32GB with 2 slots.

• Puraw
    ctx1769 said:
    That response was for you, I have an 8gb ram stick with 1 slot only
    It is all very confusing: I read the links of @brummyfan2 and believe that Acer Philippines may have sent me an old (wrong) table and that the correct one is this configuration (20 GB max)

I have asked Acer Philippines for clarification as I may be stuck now with a redundant 16 GB module that I just ordered. Still not opened my laptop. 

• ctx1769
    I just took the plunge and opened it up anyway after seeing 2 different photos of the inside to find out I could attach a second HDD or SSD and only 1 ram slot.
  • Puraw
    @andylb wrote in March: In this case Acer are right but I can see where the confusion on both sides occurred. There are 2 configurations for this model, one with 4gb soldered onboard and an empty slot for another 16gb for a total of 20gb. The other configuration with no soldered on board RAM and one slot taking up to 16gb RAM for 16gb total and your model shipped with 8gb in that slot so you obviously have the latter configuration. Below is from the Tech Service Guide for your model. 
    Note it states below 0gb OR 4gb onboard and 16gb OR 20 gb total.

So it looks more and more that my Hynix 4 GB is soldered on the mbo and the free slot can take 16GB, how that can Run in Dual Channel with two different clock speeds (Hynix = 2666 MHz and my Kingston = 2400 MHZ) is a mystery, I am still waiting for Acer Support Philippines clarification but fear I may never see one....Try to cancel the 2nd Kingston DDR4 

• kinghux
    kinghux Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

im not a tech guy but im so ready to open up my lapy 😂
    I have the same lapy with ctx1769, an A515-54G (N18Q13). 
    So as I read about the convo you guys had, i can up my ram to 20gb right? i now have 4gb, so i can put up to 16gb more on the other free ram slot. 
    Question is, where do i buy it, what brand or specs do i need to know?or a part no. or what not. 
    I would really appreciate you all enlightening me. 
    Again, no tech guy here man, just relying on reading discussions. 

Hope to hear from you.
  • kinghux

Tinkerer

ctx1769 said:
    I just took the plunge and opened it up anyway after seeing 2 different photos of the inside to find out I could attach a second HDD or SSD and only 1 ram slot.
    hi, where did you get/buy that extra ram? i to buy that too. no tech guy man, what brand do i need to buy or part no or info about the ram i can buy?
    please. i would appreciate it very much.

thanks man
  • Puraw
    Hi @kinghux
    Let me install my 4GB DDR4 first and test it, then I can recommend how to upgrade yours. I am after bandwidth (speed, Gb/s) rather than Volume (Gb) so I try to double my speed (Dual Channel). If you buy a 16 Gb DDR4 same type as the one onboard you will get 20 Gb RAM but maybe not double your speed, depends what you use your laptop for (gaming, business or casual user).

• ctx1769
    I have seen the compatible ram for mine on amazon for about £70.

The 2nd hdd I fitted I got from argos was a seagate slim external drive which I took out of the case and used the provided frame and cable. I did have to unscrew the WiFi adaptor for the cable and put it back into place when cable was fitted. I did not have to format the hdd either because my laptop recognised it straight away. 
  • adhe1515
    adhe1515 Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited June 2020
    hey guys, i have aspire 5 A514-52g-55hb. i want to know if i can use hdd and sdd in same time. it is possible or not ?
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer
    adhe1515 said:
    hey guys, i have aspire 5 A514-52g-55hb. i want to know if i can use hdd and sdd in same time. it is possible or not ?
    Hi,
    Please start a new thread by clicking "Ask a question" at the top right of the Home page.
  • Puraw
    kinghux said:
    ctx1769 said:
    hi, where did you get/buy that extra ram? i to buy that too. no tech guy man, what brand do i need to buy or part no or info about the ram i can buy?

thanks man
    I am still waiting on my Hynix 4GB DDR4 (delayed due to lock-down). Meanwhile I recommend that you run this command (Elevated): wmic memorychip list full
    That will get you the DDR4 brand and part number onboard (your laptop), in my case it is SK Hynix HMA851S6CJR6N - VK Non ECC PC4-2666V 4GB DDR4 at 2666MHz 260pin SDRAM SODIMM. In case you have the same module I attached a compatible 16GB Hynix model, you may not get Dual Channel with that but you will have 20 GB memory total. If you order another brand carefully compare the code on the sticker with your DDR4 onboard (should be all identical). On the websites you can download the DDR4 code lists like for the Hynix attached. I don't know what you use your laptop for, if it is for light gaming and office/home work 8 GB memory is sufficient and Dual Channel speed is then preferred (with 1 identical 4 GB module). Once I have mine I will let you know what the improvements are with a SATA HDD (6 Gb/s)

• kinghux

Tinkerer

Puraw said:
    kinghux said:
    ctx1769 said:

thanks man
    I am still waiting on my Hynix 4GB DDR4 (delayed due to lock-down). Meanwhile I recommend that you run this command (Elevated): wmic memorychip list full
    That will get you the DDR4 brand and part number onboard (your laptop), in my case it is SK Hynix HMA851S6CJR6N - VK Non ECC PC4-2666V 4GB DDR4 at 2666MHz 260pin SDRAM SODIMM. In case you have the same module I attached a compatible 16GB Hynix model, you may not get Dual Channel with that but you will have 20 GB memory total. If you order another brand carefully compare the code on the sticker with your DDR4 onboard (should be all identical). On the websites you can download the DDR4 code lists like for the Hynix attached. I don't know what you use your laptop for, if it is for light gaming and office/home work 8 GB memory is sufficient and Dual Channel speed is then preferred (with 1 identical 4 GB module). Once I have mine I will let you know what the improvements are with a SATA HDD (6 Gb/s)

Puraw said:
    @ctx1769
    Our models come with at least 2 different memory slot configuration: Mine has 4GB removable in slot 1 and slot 2 is empty. Like yours: 8 GB in slot 1 and no slot 2. There appears also a 20GB max. memory upgrade model mentioned by Acer and I thought I had that one. I ordered 2 KCP 16 GB (32 GB total) modules and hope there will be no surprises when I open my laptop..... Acer Philippines claims I can upgrade to 32GB with 2 slots.
    Nice, i will do that now and check for the details of the ram i have on my device. meanwhile , i was also tryna get intouch with a local service center they are still unoperational. 

thanks a lot, man
  • kinghux

Tinkerer

edited June 2020
    i just run the wmic
    and this is what i got(photo attached)

but i was not able to see these(EPC4-2666V 4GB DDR4,260pin SDRAM SODIMM)

• kinghux

Tinkerer

edited June 2020
    i was looking at adding an 8gb ram. im guessing that will have a different part no. right? but as long as the MHZ is the same would that be good? 

im so sorry , asking to much 😂✌️

i attached what i was eying to buy
  • Puraw
    kinghux said:
    i was looking at adding an 8gb ram. im guessing that will have a different part no. right? but as long as the MHZ is the same would that be good? 

Hi kinghux,
    Yep, that's the one on Acer's DDR4 tested list for our model that I sent you, and a good price too, it will be interesting to see if that will give you Dual Channel ....
    Follow the instructions on U-Tube this forum how to install DDR4 (A515-54) and don't forget to disconnect the battery first (don't touch the contacts of the DDR4).
    Good luck!

• kinghux

Tinkerer

Puraw said:
    kinghux said:

Hi kinghux,
    Yep, that's the one on Acer's DDR4 tested list for our model that I sent you, and a good price too, it will be interesting to see if that will give you Dual Channel ....
    Follow the instructions on U-Tube this forum how to install DDR4 (A515-54) and don't forget to disconnect the battery first (don't touch the contacts of the DDR4).
    Good luck!
    Perfect.
    I am gonna order it now.
    While waiting, im gonna get myself ready for the installationn.

Thanks man, you've helped me a lot so far.
    Learned alot too.

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress. 

crossing my fingers not to ruin anything. lol