How do I solve this crazy heating issue on my Helios 300 (PH315-51)?

Options
MaverickNathan1
MaverickNathan1 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

My laptop's CPU temps get insanely high. I'm talking 95C+ kinda temps. My CPU temps have been high for the past couple of months or so but I did not pay much heed to it because it never really affected me a lot. That is until my computer started randomly shutting down in the middle of CSGO, starting about a week earlier. Here's what's happening.

So I'd start the game (while being plugged in, of course) and almost immediately the temperature would start spiking. Then about a minute into the game, the whole computer just shuts down, no warning nothing. The top panel is hot like a skillet on a oven and I have even touched 99C while playing of late. One observation I had was that, if I played the game with my laptop disconnected, then by default, as I am capped at around 30 fps or so, the temps don't go beyond 80. However, as soon as I plug my adapter back in, 95 and above it is from there on out.

1. I have tried under-volting my CPU (using Intel XTU). That didn't go well. These are the temps after applying a 140 mV undervolt. Here are some screenshots :

This is before I started the stress test :-

This is literally 5 seconds into the test :- 

FYI, I have tried using ThrottleStop as well and the results were pretty similar. I have also tried undervolting my GPU, for what its worth and tried running the game with a combined CPU+GPU undervolt but that didn't make much difference either.

So is it a bad driver or BIOS or something like that? [PS: I have latest BIOS]

PS : I opened up my laptop to see if cleaning would help but it was mostly clean from the inside.

Answers

• ArsenioB
    ArsenioB Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    im having the same issue as well. idle temp is around 40-60c. this happened after a windows update on my helios 300(2019). did you find any solutions bro?
  • MaverickNathan1

Tinkerer

Options
    ArsenioB said:
    im having the same issue as well. idle temp is around 40-60c. this happened after a windows update on my helios 300(2019). did you find any solutions bro?
    No, dude. I'm on the same boat as you are. I have no idea as of now.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MaverickNathan1

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi. This did not work unfortunately. The game spiked the temps to 98C and basically completely froze. At that point I had to hard restart in order to get the computer working again. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Is your notebook under warranty? its temperatures are incredibly hot.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MaverickNathan1

Tinkerer

Options
    Is your notebook under warranty? its temperatures are incredibly hot.
    No, my laptop is not under warranty anymore. Its 2 years old at the moment. At this point, I can't even take it for servicing anywhere because of the pandemic situation, so my only hope is for some software based solution as of now, if that is even possible. 

By the way, could you take a look at these? 

I found greenish white thing cotton-candy like substance wedged under the heatsink right at the point where it meets the radiator (as you can see in this image above). Is it some sort of thermal compund? I extracted a little of it (as this thing also looked very dusty) as I didn't want to remove it thinking it was gunk if it really isn't.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    This shouldn't be there. Isn't it just a layer of dust that has accumulated?
    I suggest you check this video carefully and taking precautions to avoid damaging the hardware:
    https://www.youtube.com/Ph2ibK79zd8
    https://www.youtube.com/aPUCYUiGWZQ

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MaverickNathan1

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi. I'm gonna repaste my CPU and GPU with some TG Kryonaut. I'll use the videos you provided here as reference, of course. I'll post back here if it makes any difference but that's gonna take two weeks.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! But do the procedure carefully and always disconnect the lithium battery before performing the procedure.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Padg
    Padg Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Before repasting your CPU, check your Windows power plan. Acer have provided settings, under advanced settings I changed the maximum processor state from 100% on both plugged in and on battery to 90% and System cooling to passive.
    When playing games, this dropped my CPU temp from 90c to 55c.
    Hope this helps.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Were there any drops in fps @Padg?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MaverickNathan1

Tinkerer

Options
    Padg said:
    Before repasting your CPU, check your Windows power plan. Acer have provided settings, under advanced settings I changed the maximum processor state from 100% on both plugged in and on battery to 90% and System cooling to passive.
    When playing games, this dropped my CPU temp from 90c to 55c.
    Hope this helps.

Hey, I did change the processor state to 90% when I was trying to diagnose the problem myself. That didn't help, unfortunately. Didn't try changing the system cooling, though. I guess I'll try that. Thanks.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Post the result here.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MaverickNathan1

Tinkerer

Options
    Post the result here.
    Did not help. I also extracted that gum like thing from underneath the heat pipe and while that seemed to bring down idle temps by a couple degrees, under load, the CPU is still pushing 96. Otherwise, changing settings in the power profile (system cooling or processor state) did not help with temps. Still waiting on the thermal paste. Will post back after repasting.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! When replacing the thermal paste, post the result here.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MaverickNathan1

Tinkerer

edited May 2020
    Options
    Okay, so I did the thermal paste replacement finally and in (kinda) solving this problem, I found out a bunch of things.

First things first, TG Kryonaut is a great paste. Highly recommended to anyone having thermal issues that can benefit with a re-pasting. 
    So, this first screenshot shows Intel XTU stress test temps after re-pasting. 

As you can see, the CPU temp, that used to shoot up to 95 the moment I used to start up this test, now sits at 78 - 82 tops under full synthetic load by Intel XTU. So far so good, right? Well, here's where things get weird.

I fired up Counter-Strike and well, initially, I faced a couple of freeze issues still. At this point, I was sure that that was no longer because of thermals. In playing the game further however, something weird happened. These are my temps after a 10 minute round.

CPU utilization barely touches 45 percent but temps still shoot up at 94.

However, it doesn't stay there. It keeps fluctuating like you can see in the graph here, in a range between 86 - 94. The following screenshot shows the temperature fluctuations during a match. 

This is extremely weird because I fired up AIDA64 and applied full synthetic load on both the CPU and GPU. Here are those temps.

So I need an explanation as to why the temps are same under 100% load and 37% load.

On the bright side, the game is working fine now. FWIW, the temperatures are still spiking to 97 but aren't staying there. It is going down to high 80s fairly often and I have also experienced higher framerates, overall. So, in conclusion, I can play the game now but things are still toasty.

PS : Point to note here, when the CPU is stressed all by itself, it almost never goes beyond 80 (Intel XTU). These 90+ temps happen only when CPU and GPU are stressed at the same time (Gaming or AIDA64).
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    After replacing the thermal paste, have you tried to uninstall the predator sense and msi afterburn? Also, access the bios and press f9 to restore and then press f10 to save and exit. This way, you will be resetting the bios parameters.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• davidsilva
    davidsilva Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Okay, so I did the thermal paste replacement finally and in (kinda) solving this problem, I found out a bunch of things.

First things first, TG Kryonaut is a great paste. Highly recommended to anyone having thermal issues that can benefit with a re-pasting. 
    So, this first screenshot shows Intel XTU stress test temps after re-pasting. 

As you can see, the CPU temp, that used to shoot up to 95 the moment I used to start up this test, now sits at 78 - 82 tops under full synthetic load by Intel XTU. So far so good, right? Well, here's where things get weird.

I fired up Counter-Strike and well, initially, I faced a couple of freeze issues still. At this point, I was sure that that was no longer because of thermals. In playing the game further however, something weird happened. These are my temps after a 10 minute round.

CPU utilization barely touches 45 percent but temps still shoot up at 94.

However, it doesn't stay there. It keeps fluctuating like you can see in the graph here, in a range between 86 - 94. The following screenshot shows the temperature fluctuations during a match. 

This is extremely weird because I fired up AIDA64 and applied full synthetic load on both the CPU and GPU. Here are those temps.

So I need an explanation as to why the temps are same under 100% load and 37% load.

On the bright side, the game is working fine now. FWIW, the temperatures are still spiking to 97 but aren't staying there. It is going down to high 80s fairly often and I have also experienced higher framerates, overall. So, in conclusion, I can play the game now but things are still toasty.

PS : Point to note here, when the CPU is stressed all by itself, it almost never goes beyond 80 (Intel XTU). These 90+ temps happen only when CPU and GPU are stressed at the same time (Gaming or AIDA64).
    Hey, can you tell me now also you are facing the same problem as you mentioned before. Cuz currently, I am also facing the same heating problem.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @davidsilvaI suggest that you create a new question.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer