Swift SF314-54 (Swift 3) still makes sounds after suspension (by lid and by key).

MoisesLZ
MoisesLZ Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, everyone. Recently I've noticed my Swift 3 still makes sounds after suspending by closing the lid. With sounds I mean the regular sounds it makes while using it (fan, etc.), just really turned down (I have to put my ear against the lid to hear it). I don't know why, because I have a mouse with lights conected to a USB port and the lights turn off after closing the lid. If it helps, I noticed this issue after realizing that the mouse turned itself on again, I don't know if it made any noise before. And yes, I double checked in the Control Panel if the lid behavior was to suspend the computer. Anyone knows if this is normal? If not, is there any solution?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,657 Trailblazer
    If the CPU temp is still elevated when you sleep it will run the fan long enough to cool things off, I believe. Maybe that's what you are seeing. It's also possible you have an app or driver that doesn't play well with sleep, so it's not actually sleeping. Do you get battery discharge while sleeping of some significant amount (there will be some during sleep, but not as much as when awake).
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MoisesLZ

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Do you get battery discharge while sleeping of some significant amount (there will be some during sleep, but not as much as when awake).
    Not sure, my laptop is always plugged, but I'm gonna check and come back later. Also, is there any way of checking what app or driver might be causing it?
  • billsey
    Not an easy way... You can boot into safe mode to verify it doesn't happen with everything shut down, then bring things back up one at a time until the problem returns, but that's a pain. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MoisesLZ

Tinkerer

Oh, that's unfortunate, well, I'll see what can I do to check it out. Thanks for your time!
  • billsey
    Let us know how it's coming along.
  • MoisesLZ

Tinkerer

edited May 2020
    Ok, so, lights went out in my house and I just unplugged my laptop from AC and turned on the battery saving mode. Just noticed that under these conditions, it does not make noise anymore. I'm gonna try different configurations later.
  • MoisesLZ

Tinkerer

So, I tried out different settings and it appears that my laptop makes noise while suspended if it's plugged to AC but it doesn't if it's unplugged (tried this with different battery settings).
  • billsey
    So you are thinking it's something in the act of charging, or at least having the power plugged in, that causes the noise? Any chance the noise is coming from the speakers? You might be getting something like a ground loop causing interference in the speakers. Are you plugged into the wall, into a surge arrestor or into a UPS?
  • MoisesLZ

Tinkerer

Sorry for the late answer; I guess I just left it at that. It's not too much effort to just unplug my laptop whenever I want to put it to sleep. Anyways, thanks for all the help and suggestions. If I find anything else, I'll let you know.