Laptop not resetting

Options
AnnaGagliardi15
AnnaGagliardi15 Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello, I’m trying to hard reset/wipe clean my computer to give it to my boyfriend to use for school as I got a new one. It’s pretty old, Aspire R7. 
I start it up and it’s a blue screen with ONLY “Troubleshoot” or “Turn off your PC” 
There is NO reset option. I have pushed the pinhole button on the button and pressed Alt+F10 and nothing is working. 

Best Answer

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,395 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @AnnaGagliardi15 some files may be corrupted.install new fresh window 10.

You need USB 
    Download WINDOW 10 media creation tool in your new laptop from Microsoft site

After downloading run and follow my steps-

You can also use the Media Creation Tool as a Windows 10 USB tool, meaning that it can help you download the Windows 10 installation files and automatically create a bootable Windows 10 USB memory stick that you can then use to install this operating system on any computer. run MediaCreationTool1909.exe. When User Account Control (UAC) asks if you are sure that you want to run this app, click or tap Yes.

The UAC prompt asking for administrative permissions

Then, Media Creation Tool loads its user interface and asks you to accept its license terms. Read the terms, and click or tap the Accept button to continue.

The license terms for Microsoft Software

Media Creation Tool needs a few seconds to "get a few things ready." Then, it asks whether you want to upgrade your PC, or if you want to create installation media that you can use to install Windows 10 on any computer or device. Check the second option, which says "Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC."

Choosing to create installation media USB flash drive DVD or ISO file
    Choosing to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file)

Next, choose the Language, Edition, and Architecture that you want to use for creating the installation media. The architecture can be 64-bit, 32-bit, or both. We recommend using 64-bit as often as possible. You can also choose to "Use the recommended options for this PC," which automatically selects the language, edition, and architecture that match the PC that you are using right now. Once you select the options that you want, press Next.

Choosing the language edition and architecture for the Windows 10 setup
    Choosing the language, edition, and architecture for the Windows 10 setup

Then, choose what kind of media storage you want to use. Choose "USB flash drive" and press Next.

Choosing to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10 on it

You see all the flash drives and external hard disks that are connected to your Windows computer or device. Select the one you want to use for creating Windows 10 installation media. Do not forget that all the data on it is going to get wiped. Make sure that you have a copy of it before moving forward.

Selecting the flash drive or external hard drive to be used

Once you have selected the USB flash drive, Media Creation Tool starts to download the latest Windows 10 installation files on your computer or device. Depending on your internet connection speed and the load on Microsoft's servers, this might take a while. All you need is patience.

The download process for the Windows 10 installation files

Once the download is over, it is verified for integrity to make sure that all is well. Then the USB memory stick you selected is made bootable, with the newest Windows 10 setup. This process may take another couple of minutes.

Creating the USB drive with the Windows 10 installation

When the process is finished, you are informed that the USB memory stick is ready. Click or tap Finish, and then you can use that drive to boot from and install Windows 10.

Finalizing the process of a USB drive with the Windows 10 installation
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566

Answers

• GAMING6698
    Options
    @AnnaGagliardi15
    Why didn't you reset from window settings?

• AnnaGagliardi15
    Options
    @AnnaGagliardi15
    Why didn't you reset from window settings?
    I couldn’t. I opened my computer one day and it was this screen and hasn’t gone back. I wasn’t going to give it to him but this happened so I HAD to get a new one anyway. I never planned on it before this happened, only up to now. I had to get a new laptop because of this.
  • GAMING6698
    Answer ✓
    Options

You need USB 

You can also use the Media Creation Tool as a Windows 10 USB tool, meaning that it can help you download the Windows 10 installation files and automatically create a bootable Windows 10 USB memory stick that you can then use to install this operating system on any computer. run MediaCreationTool1909.exe. When User Account Control (UAC) asks if you are sure that you want to run this app, click or tap Yes.

Then, Media Creation Tool loads its user interface and asks you to accept its license terms. Read the terms, and click or tap the Accept button to continue.

Media Creation Tool needs a few seconds to "get a few things ready." Then, it asks whether you want to upgrade your PC, or if you want to create installation media that you can use to install Windows 10 on any computer or device. Check the second option, which says "Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC."

Next, choose the Language, Edition, and Architecture that you want to use for creating the installation media. The architecture can be 64-bit, 32-bit, or both. We recommend using 64-bit as often as possible. You can also choose to "Use the recommended options for this PC," which automatically selects the language, edition, and architecture that match the PC that you are using right now. Once you select the options that you want, press Next.

Then, choose what kind of media storage you want to use. Choose "USB flash drive" and press Next.

You see all the flash drives and external hard disks that are connected to your Windows computer or device. Select the one you want to use for creating Windows 10 installation media. Do not forget that all the data on it is going to get wiped. Make sure that you have a copy of it before moving forward.

Once you have selected the USB flash drive, Media Creation Tool starts to download the latest Windows 10 installation files on your computer or device. Depending on your internet connection speed and the load on Microsoft's servers, this might take a while. All you need is patience.

Once the download is over, it is verified for integrity to make sure that all is well. Then the USB memory stick you selected is made bootable, with the newest Windows 10 setup. This process may take another couple of minutes.

When the process is finished, you are informed that the USB memory stick is ready. Click or tap Finish, and then you can use that drive to boot from and install Windows 10.

• AnnaGagliardi15
    Options

You need USB 

So once this is done, I should be able to just put the USB into my old computer? 
  • GAMING6698
    Options
    @AnnaGagliardi15
    Yes,there is some steps to boot in usb to install i will guide but first do this↑

• AnnaGagliardi15
    Options
    @AnnaGagliardi15
    Yes,there is some steps to boot in usb to install i will guide but first do this↑
    That's all done, I just gotta put it into the computer now with whatever steps you can help me with.
  • GAMING6698
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @AnnaGagliardi15
    Turn on your laptop then keep pressing F2 key you will boot in bios then there
    1)disable secure boot (1st you need to set supervisor password if option is grey out)
    2)change bios mode from UEFI TO LEGACY
    3)enable F12 boot menu 
    Save and exit 
    After completing, save and exit your laptop will  restart turn off again.  now,
    insert your USB→turn on your laptop then keep pressing F12 key you will boot in usb from there install new window 

(Note-while in window setup option come to select custom or upgrade choose custom then format your disk in which Previous window is installed then go ahead next)

• AnnaGagliardi15
    edited April 2020
    Options

So this is what I see. I put in just 1234 for the password, but I don’t see where to find the bios mode to change it. 

EDIT: I found the boot mode. What is the F12 I have to do is what I’m having trouble with. 

Edited the content by hiding sensitive information
    Acer-Samuel
  • GAMING6698
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @AnnaGagliardi15
    Click on Boot mode in boot tab and enable f12 boot menu from main tab
    Disable secure boot after setting up password 

• AnnaGagliardi15
    Options
    @AnnaGagliardi15
    Click on Boot mode in boot tab and enable f12 boot menu from main tab
    Disable secure boot after setting up password 
    Should I do upgrade or custom? I do not care if I lose everything, I planned on wiping it clean anyway.
  • GAMING6698
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @AnnaGagliardi15
    Click on custom then select that disk in which window is installed then click on format, after formatting select that disk again and go ahead(next).

• AnnaGagliardi15
    Options
    Not sure which one to pick (there’s another at the bottom) but they all say windows can’t be installed? 
  • GAMING6698
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @AnnaGagliardi15
    Select drive 0 partition 4:Acer
    Then format then select again and go ahead

• AnnaGagliardi15
    Options
    @AnnaGagliardi15
    Select drive 0 partition 4:Acer
    Then format then select again and go ahead
    After doing rhat does it take a while? it seems to either be frozen or loading for a while.
  • GAMING6698
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @AnnaGagliardi15
    It will take some time

• AnnaGagliardi15
    Options
    Ok, it’s still loading “collecting information” not “installing windows” so I wasn’t sure. 
  • GAMING6698
    Options
    @AnnaGagliardi15
    Post image 

• AnnaGagliardi15
    Options
    @AnnaGagliardi15
    Post image 

It’s been doing this for about 10 minutes. I restarted the first time because I wasn’t sure if it froze but the second time it’s still loading it like this again. 
  • GAMING6698
    Options
    @AnnaGagliardi15 plugin your laptop 
    Hold power button then again boot in usb and try steps again 

• AnnaGagliardi15
    Options
    @AnnaGagliardi15 plugin your laptop 
    Hold power button then again boot in usb and try steps again 
    Done it three times now and it’s still loading it after.