Using recovery discs

Options
2»

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    Dear Andymor,
             After the LIST DISK command, you may want to add SELECT DISK 1 (assuming 1 is the right disk number).
             I believe you have to add the command SELECT PART 1 (where 1 is to be substituted with the partition to be selected after being listed after the LIST PART command issued).
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    edited August 2020
    Options
    You are missing the 'sel'ect on the third line. SEL DISK 1.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • andymor
    andymor Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Hi billsey, you must seriously getting fed up with me,I'm sorry. My latest.

select disk 1 > Disk 1 is now the selected disk
    list part > There are no partitions on this disk to show
    Clean > Diskpart succeeded in cleaning the disk.

I exit diskpart and shut down and then restart and my PC boots into Windows.

• billsey
    edited August 2020
    Options
    The disk 1 wasn't the one with Windows on it... Disk 1 is empty and ready for partitions to be created. Step back a bit and get your phone's camera ready... :)
    Go into diskpart just as before and do the "list disk" and take a picture. Then for each disk listed do a "sel disk #" followed by a "list part" and take a picture. Finally do a "list vol" and take a picture. Post the pictures here and we'll uncover what's really going on. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • andymor
    Options
    Hi billsey, thanks again, hope these photos help.
  • ttttt
    Options
    Dear Andymor,

Previously you have formatted the drive C:, how can you boot into  Windows now?

Anyway, I can see your drive C: now has no label. Assuming  originally  the drive C: had the label "DATA" ( as you thought it was), you can add that label back.

In command prompt (running as administrator), enter C:, will respond with c:> , enter LABEL DATA, this should give back the label "DATA". 

This should not affect the method that Billsey is trying to help you, yet it will potentially allow you to try the method I mentioned before.
  • billsey
    Options
    OK, disk 0 is the disk with your Windows environment. Partition 2 on Disk 0 is C: and partition 5 on disk 0 if the EFI partition. Go through the process of cleaning disk 0 and then boot and reinstall from the recovery disks. That should get you back to the factory default was either a big data drive or an empty big drive that needs a data partition created on it. The small drive will have very close to the same partitions it has now, just with the original defaults.
  • andymor
    Options
    Hi ttttt, thanks for your comment. I'm not 100% the volume label was DATA so going to pass on that just now but your input is very much appreciated.

• andymor
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Wow success. I need to thank everyone who responded to my dilemma but more so billsey who very patiently walked me through the process.
    I am disabled and shielding so was not able to bring anyone in. Once again a huge thank you it's much appreciated.
  • ttttt
    Options
    Dear Anymor,

Congratulations on your success! I can see Billsey is  person with better patience than me when answering questions. Glad to help.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Great! I love it when things finally come together. :)