Camera not working Acer Swift 3 SF314-54 How can I re-install my camera as it doesn't appear

GFitz
GFitz Member Posts: 4 New User
edited July 2023 in Swift and Spin Series
Hi, 
My camera isn't working for about 2-3 months now. I bought the laptop in July 2019.
I don't believe I've installed anything, or mistakenly de-installed anything - that would affect the camera. 

Going through a few options..
 - In "Device Manager" there are no red flags. 
 - In "device Manager" > Action > Scan for hardware changes = presents a warning on an 'unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed)', which I think is unrelated. Going through troubleshoot for this [Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43). A request for the USB device descriptor failed.], and updating the driver, returns a message that says the best driver is already installed. 
 - In "device manager", no camera found in the list, under any of the usual suspects: "sound, video game and controllers", 'human interface devices', etc. NO camera listed in any of the options 

How can I re-install my camera as it doesn't appear to be there any longer? 
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,318 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @GFitz
    registry edit might be among the best fixes. Edit the registry as follows.
    1. First, open Run with the Windows key + R hotkey. Then users can open the Registry Editor by entering regedt in Run and clicking OK.
    2. Open this registry path in the Registry Editor:
      • <strong>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWOW6432NodeMicrosoftWindows Media Foundation</strong>windows media foundation regedit error code 0xa00f4271
    3. Double-click Windows Media Foundation on the left of the Registry Editor.
    4. Right-click a space on the right of the Registry Editor’s window and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    5. Enter EnableFrameServerMode as the title for the new DWORD.enableframeservermode dword error code 0xa00f4271
    6. Then double-click EnableFrameServerMode to open the window in the shot directly below.value data error code 0xa00f4271
    7. Input 0 in the Data value text box, and click the OK button.
    8. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > WOW6432Node > Microsoft > Windows Media Foundation > Platform.
      9. Repeat steps 4-6 if you own the 64-bit version of Windows.
      10. Restart your PC to update those changes.
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566

Answers

• GAMING6698
    @GFitz
    • Click on window icon Camera app and right click on the camera app result
    • Under right-click context menu select App settings
    • Under camera app settings, scroll and locate & hit the reset buttonWindows 10 Camera Settings Reset
    • Confirm your action by selecting the reset button and again
    After doing above steps make sure you give permission go to settings and click on the Privacy category. Select Camera under the App permissions section on the left. On the right panel, you have to turn on the setting “Allow apps to access your camera“. Scroll down to locate the Camera app and grant permission for it to access the webcam.

That’s it. Now check and see if Windows 10 Camera app is working.

• GFitz
    Hi, 

Thank you, I've followed your advice and:
    1. Reset the camera
    2. Checked app permission for the camera (allow apps to access your camera, was turned on, and all apps in the list were also 'on', to be able to access). 
    3. Skype was one of these apps on the list, so I opened this, and did an audio/visual test - audio has no issues. But "no camera found".
    Also opening the 'camera' gives the prompt = "we can't find your camera" " error code: 0xA00F4244<NoCamerasAreAttached> " 
    4. Restarted my laptop and did the above again
    5. Still getting the error code and my test via Skype is returning the same "no camera found" 

Is there a driver I need to install / update? 

:( 

Hope you get the attached
  • GFitz
    @GAMING6698

Updating this post, that I've also checked anti-virus - doesn't seem to be a block there.. 
    Hmmm
  • GAMING6698
    Answer ✓
    @GFitz
    registry edit might be among the best fixes. Edit the registry as follows.
    1. First, open Run with the Windows key + R hotkey. Then users can open the Registry Editor by entering regedt in Run and clicking OK.
    2. Open this registry path in the Registry Editor:
      • <strong>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWOW6432NodeMicrosoftWindows Media Foundation</strong>windows media foundation regedit error code 0xa00f4271
    3. Double-click Windows Media Foundation on the left of the Registry Editor.
    4. Right-click a space on the right of the Registry Editor’s window and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    5. Enter EnableFrameServerMode as the title for the new DWORD.enableframeservermode dword error code 0xa00f4271
    6. Then double-click EnableFrameServerMode to open the window in the shot directly below.value data error code 0xa00f4271
    7. Input 0 in the Data value text box, and click the OK button.
    8. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > WOW6432Node > Microsoft > Windows Media Foundation > Platform.
      9. Repeat steps 4-6 if you own the 64-bit version of Windows.
      10. Restart your PC to update those changes.

• GFitz
    @GAMING6698

THANK YOU!

This resolved it! I'm glad, thank you :+1:
    :) 

• Infohost
    Infohost Member Posts: 2 New User
    @GAMING6698 i can't seem to solve mine. 
  • robpalwrites
    robpalwrites Member Posts: 2 New User

The Regitry fix dodn't work for me. Are there any other solutions? I've tried all sorts of other things already. The camera just doesn't show up in the devices.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

If the camera doesn't show up in devices, no registry fix is going to work. Either the connection between the camera and motherboard is acting up, the camera has failed or the motherboard has failed. The last is the least likely. You could try to reseat the cable a few times on the motherboard to see if that makes a change.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.