extra RAM

SkizzySmith
SkizzySmith Member Posts: 5 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have an Acer Aspire  A314-21 with 4GB of RAM, AMD A6-9220e Radeon R4 - 5 cores 2c+3G 1.60 Ghz, I looked here and it seems that you can add 8GB of RAM.  The 4GB RAM in the computer is not removable. I looked at Crucial and found 3 products with 8GB and 4 products with 4GB. I emailed and asked which 8GB was recommended. Reply said they dont recommend 8GB as it overclocks computer. I am waiting to see which 4GB they recommend. So who is right?  Can I ask Acer direct or is this site for that purpose? This question is asked because I tried several times to answer a post, but got the red error message Body 1 character too short. What in elephants paws does that mean ?  This site is not easy to navigate, I don't see why so much is duplicated ?  I look forward to your answers.

Best Answer

• BalkanBoy
    BalkanBoy Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Please report HWinfo RAM info and I'll try to find what would be best for you. I don't see why 8GB module would be bad, you should be able to upgrade to 12GB without problem if you ask me.

Answers

• A51
    A51 Member Posts: 38 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    If the Ram is not Removable i wouldnt risk opening the Device 
    Do you know how old the Device is 
  • BalkanBoy
    That device should have 4GB onboard RAM and one slot for upgrade. Have you got memory access door on bottom? If you have you can easily check if empty slot is there. After you verify that my suggestion would be installing HWinfo and check info about onboard memory so you can buy same model if available.

Regards
  • SkizzySmith
    Thank you Balkan Boy
    The new Acer Aspire laptop I just purchased has 4GB RAM and an access door on the bottom. I have not yet looked inside there but confirm there is one. If I find an empty slot, I will download  HWinfo, install it and check onboard memory.  You say same model do you mean   the same model of memory that is installed in the computer  or the same amount ( 4 GB) that is available from Crucial ?  When I check, can I assume that as long as I have 4GB free, I can install another 4GB from Crucial ?  I still do not know definitely if installing 8GB is good or bad, assuming there is 8GB free to do that. Would you answer  both questions please
    thanks a lot
    Skizzy
  • BalkanBoy
    Answer ✓
    Please report HWinfo RAM info and I'll try to find what would be best for you. I don't see why 8GB module would be bad, you should be able to upgrade to 12GB without problem if you ask me.
  • SkizzySmith
    Thank you BalkanBoy for your message.  I have downloaded the HWinfo programme and installed it.  It has lots of numbers and headings. Honestly, I only know what some terms mean so all I can do is tell you what I see that I think might be relevant to memory. A question here might help. If I am able to capture the image of HWinfo can I attach it to a post on here ?   I don't see a way to do that. 
  • SkizzySmith
    A bit more info, sorry if this is mixed up, from HWinfo here is some of the data:  AMD A6-9220e RADEON R4 5 composite cores 
    2c + 3G 1.60 GHz RAM 4GB 64bit OS x64 based processor. Clock 798.5 MHz = 8.00 x 99.8 MHz Mode single channel
    timing 11-11-11-26 trC37.   I found that you can get a lot of info from Task Manager if you click on all the headings. When I did this I found figures saying what memory ( 3.3 / 3.9 GB ) and in use  3,4 GB and  63.2GB/519GB it said slots used 1 in 1 but I looked and there is 1 free slot. It said 1200MHz and DDR4 RAM and 64 bit. Memory clock 798,5 MHz and max supported m.c. 933.3 MHz.
    SATA 6 GB/s @ 6 GB/s  256 GB.   So I only sort of understand some of this. and have no idea how to use HWinfo, the data was there when I opened it.  So I have conflicting advice, can I add 4GB or 8GB?  Crucial said 8GB would cause overclocking,  which is that, please?  Im going to email Acer and ask. Watch this space and Keep safe all of you.
  • BalkanBoy
    Post your HWinfo Memory tab screen here, should look like this

• SkizzySmith
    Hi Balkan Boy, yes I see how the image looks. I can do a screen capture and save it as a .jpg . I can copy it, but It will not paste
    here. Please explain, step by step, how I get that .jpg file in the comments on this site.  I made a test file and saved it and tried to paste here, nothing happened.