Acer Swift 5 SF514-54T USB-C won't recognise hub when connected.

Lisaj
Lisaj Member Posts: 2 New User
edited June 2023 in Swift and Spin Series
Hi Acer community, I have an issue I hope you can help me with. I have a new Acer Swift 5 SF514-54T. I plugged in a USB-c hub (with USB 3.0s, HDMI, ethernet port). Laptop won't register it at all. Doesn't notice it. Hub is Bon.elk 7 in 1 multi hub. USB-c port is video enabled. 

Things I have tried: 1. reboot. 2. That same hub in another laptop - works fine in the other laptop. 3. A different hub (also with HDMI) in my Swift - it worked fine in my laptop. Can anybody suggest a next step for me? Thanks in advance.
[Edited the thread to add model name]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Your USBC port is actually a thunderbolt port that supports USBC gen1 data. Is the hub a thunderbolt compatible device? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• regyhl
    regyhl Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi Lisaj, What is the name and model of the hub with HDMI that works with your Swift 5 SF514-54T ?

I have a usb-c hub with VGA that works with Acer Switch Alpha 12 but it does not with my Acer Swift 5 SF514-54T. No VGA output but USB 3.0 port on the hub works. Also, page 11 of Acer Swift 5 user's manual states:
    USB Type-C information
    • USB 3.1 Gen 2 with transfer speeds up to 10 Gbps.
    • Supports DisplayPort™ audio/video output.
    • Compatible with Thunderbolt™ 3.
    Hence, it is supposed to work with USB-C hubs with DisplayPort audio/video output support.

• Lisaj
    Lisaj Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi Jack and Regyhl, 
    thanks so much for your responses, and apologies i didn't keep checking this thread. I have sold the hub to a friend, bought an USB 3.0 to ethernet that is working. I'll replace the usb hub when there is stock available in Australia, but thanks to you both i'll ensure that I buy a thunderbolt one.  Stay safe!
  • Michel3700
    Michel3700 Member Posts: 2 New User
    My laptop Acer Swift3-SF314-56: Video via HDMI-port on USB-C hub is impossible. Device management in Configuration screen gives the following error: "Unknown USB-device". However, the USB-C port has the technical specification "Display port over USB-C Thunderbolt 3". The hub has explicite compatibility with Thunderbolt 3. The USB- and RJ45 ports on the hub work normally.
    Do You have a solution? My laptop is still under guarantee. Still I hope that he has not to be send to the technical service (3 weeks!)
  • JackE
    Sorry. Your USB-C port only supports hi-speed data and charging, not video. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Michel3700
    Michel3700 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thx for your answer. I am a little bit disappointed that this high range and rather expensive laptop doesn't support alternate mode display port. My old and scheap Medion does.
  • Cameron33
    Cameron33 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Having the same problem! Super disappointed that the USB 3.0 is not used by a standard adapter! Thanks for the support and platform, hoping will come right. 
  • JohHee
    JohHee Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited June 2021
    I recently bought a Vention Type C docking Hub and it works with my Swift 5 SF514-53T.  I am so happy after a few failed attempts to find a type c hub that will work.

• JackE
    Thanks for your report. Do you have the part no of your unit? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JohHee

Tinkerer

Vention model is cnbhb.  go to Lazada and type vention type c hub.

• JohHee

Tinkerer

Vention type C-Hub working for my Acer SF514 54T.  I ordered from Lazada.
  • JohHee

Tinkerer

Ordered from Lazada

• Yanghuan123
    Yanghuan123 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

In this case, the next step you can try is to update the drivers and firmware for your Acer Swift 5 SF514-54T. Visit Acer's official support website and search for your laptop model. Look for any available driver or firmware updates specifically related to the USB-C port or chipset. Download and install any updates that are available, as they may include fixes or improvements for USB-C compatibility.

If updating the drivers and firmware doesn't resolve the issue, you may want to reach out to Acer support for further assistance. They can provide specific troubleshooting steps or advise if there are any known compatibility issues with the Bon.elk 7 in 1 multi hub and your laptop model.

Now, regarding your USB-C hub recommendation, I personally recommend considering Mokin USB-C hubs. Mokin offers a range of USB-C hubs known for their compatibility and reliability. However, since you have already tried a different hub that worked fine with your laptop, it may not be necessary to replace your current hub. Nonetheless, if you ever need a new USB-C hub or additional connectivity options, you can consider Mokin as a reliable brand.