Battery degradation

pkw
pkw Member Posts: 69 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I bought my Acer R13 Chromebook refurbished on ebay in excellent condition exactly a year ago. Battery health as reported by battery_test was well over 90% (I think it could have even been in the range of 98% but I don't remember exactly). It would indicate over 12hrs charge left at full charge.
Now, a year on, battery health is down to 71%.  Right now showing 30% charge and just over 2hrs. Is such a rate of battery degradation normal?
I very rarely allow it to discharge below 5% and usually charge to full capacity when it hits 10%. Also, almost never use it with the charger plugged in.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Do you know which model of R13 you have? It might be reaching EOL on the battery, especially if it weren't well cared for (such as sitting for a long time while the battery was discharged) during the time before you acquired it. It could also be bad data in the OS. Run it down all the way on battery then plug in and charge fully before turning it on, then repeat. After a few cycles the battery status should be pretty accurate.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • pkw
    billsey said:
    Do you know which model of R13 you have? It might be reaching EOL on the battery, especially if it weren't well cared for (such as sitting for a long time while the battery was discharged) during the time before you acquired it. It could also be bad data in the OS. Run it down all the way on battery then plug in and charge fully before turning it on, then repeat. After a few cycles the battery status should be pretty accurate.
    Thanks. Is there more than one model of R13? Mine is CB5-312T. I will try your suggestion and see what happens.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Heck, I believe there are something like 12 different CB5-312Ts. :) Each SKU is for a different locale, so different language, or a different build, like smaller or larger storage. My R13 is a Windows machine instead of a Chromebook...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • pkw
    billsey said:
    My R13 is a Windows machine instead of a Chromebook...
    Perhaps you mean Acer Aspire?
  • pkw
    I'm on the 3rd drain-charge battery cycle. I haven't noticed a big change in the amount of time it lasts, but battery_test reports health went up from 71% to 83% so that looks promising. I wouldn't want to do more than 3 cycles though as I'm afraid it wouldn't be good for the battery.
  • pkw
    Correction: I must have looked at percentage left, battery health is actually showing as 72.45% now. What's interesting is battery_health is saying 83% left while the status bar is saying 87%.
  • pkw
    crosh> battery_test 3600
    Battery is discharging (83.03% left)
    Battery health: 72.54%
    Please wait...
    Battery discharged 11.38% in 3600 second(s).