I need help with flashing the bios. I have a Aspire 5810TZ. I boot it up and it just says 'acer'.

Options
helpmyacer
helpmyacer Member Posts: 2 New User
I need help with flashing the bios. I have a Aspire 5810TZ. I boot it up and it just says 'acer' and won't go any further. I went to the download page for BIOS on us.acer.com and it has a zip file with 5 files:
JM4151135.exe
FLA...
GPC_V135.bin
readme.txt
FLASH.BAT
What do I do? I have tried copying the files to a USB and powering on with Fn-Esc held down. After letting go of the power button and holding Fn-Esc a different screen appears after 30 seconds. I let go and have given it 30 minutes but it is not doing anything. I have read online from other people the power button should be blinking. Do I need to rename one of the files. Please help!

Best Answer

• helpmyacer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Aspire 5810TZ boot menu frozen.

I finally figured this one out.

I could not boot a dos disk b/c it did not allow me to boot anything.

I followed this chain of logic:

-Downloaded the bios (2.35 is the one that worked for me)
    -Found the exe file in the winflash folder.
    -Extracted the files in the exe archive using the program 7-Zip
    -Found the .fd file and renamed it to JM41X64.FD (which I read in a forum was unique to my laptop)
    -Copied JM41X64.FD and FLASH IT.EXE to a usb drive
    -Took the battery and the hard drive out.
    -With the AC power plugged in I held down Fn+Esc and pressed the power button once while making sure the Fn+Esc was still held down.
    -I waited 6 seconds and let go of the Fn+Esc and saw the flash drive blinking
    -After about 10 minutes, the machine rebooted and the bios as like brand new.

Later I found there was a problem with by hard drive.

I feel like you guys should help out more. All I needed was the name of the file JM41X64.FD and you don't know how many hours I put into trying to find out how to simpy flash the bios. It should not be this difficult for someone with a b.s. in computer science to figure out how to do this. I could not us an m.s. dos disk b/c the bios was messed up. F12 was not working.

Answers

• Tabbiekatz
    Tabbiekatz Member Posts: 760 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Which bios are you downloading? the 2.35 version?

• Tabbiekatz
    Tabbiekatz Member Posts: 760 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

The instructions that are in the readme.txt state:

DOS: Run "FLASH.BAT" to flash BIOS.
    Windows x86/x64: Launch "JM4151135.exe" or "JM4151235.exe" to flash BIOS.

FN and ESC will not work. Boot the computer and hit f12 to boot off a bootable device like a usb flash drive or cd with these files on it. You need to get to a command prompt.

• helpmyacer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Aspire 5810TZ boot menu frozen.

I finally figured this one out.

I could not boot a dos disk b/c it did not allow me to boot anything.

I followed this chain of logic:

-Downloaded the bios (2.35 is the one that worked for me)
    -Found the exe file in the winflash folder.
    -Extracted the files in the exe archive using the program 7-Zip
    -Found the .fd file and renamed it to JM41X64.FD (which I read in a forum was unique to my laptop)
    -Copied JM41X64.FD and FLASH IT.EXE to a usb drive
    -Took the battery and the hard drive out.
    -With the AC power plugged in I held down Fn+Esc and pressed the power button once while making sure the Fn+Esc was still held down.
    -I waited 6 seconds and let go of the Fn+Esc and saw the flash drive blinking
    -After about 10 minutes, the machine rebooted and the bios as like brand new.

Later I found there was a problem with by hard drive.

I feel like you guys should help out more. All I needed was the name of the file JM41X64.FD and you don't know how many hours I put into trying to find out how to simpy flash the bios. It should not be this difficult for someone with a b.s. in computer science to figure out how to do this. I could not us an m.s. dos disk b/c the bios was messed up. F12 was not working.

• dhankstr
    dhankstr Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I was able to solve this by combinding some of the methods stated.  Here is how I resolved my issue:

Performed these steps on a separate computer

• Created a MS DOS bootable USB using Rufus 1.4.12.535
    • After downloading the bios from Acer, extracted the contents to a desktop folder I named "acer bios."
    • Navigated into extracted folder and copied the contents from "BIOS(Special)_Acer_2.35_Windows_Aspire4810T" to a folder I created on the USB drive called "bios."

Did these on the Acer

• Removed both Hard Drive and battery
    • Booted with USB drive
    • Once command prompt appeared, typed: cd c:\bios -> hit "Enter"
    • Typed: FLASH.bat (did not enter run or launch) -> hit "Enter"
    • Bios update started running and completed in under two minutes

Note: I also exterienced the same issue with the Hard drive just like "helpmyacer." Once I installed another hard drive into the unit, it worked fine.  I'm thinking something with the bios update affects the hard drive.  The hard drive that stopped working does mount using a SATA to USB adapter and formats without issue, it just locks up the Acer laptop if installed as the primary drive.  Oh well, its a computer, LOL!