Nitro N50-110 SSD and Ram Upgrade

Options
Curt15
Curt15 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited July 2 in Nitro Gaming
Hi,
I recently bought a Nitro N50-110 gaming desktop, I am having a hard time getting all the motherboard information as it does not seem to be readily available but I have two questions.

1. Will any DDR4 2666mhz RAM work with this machine? My thought was to install dual channel memory (16GB) 2x8gb but I don't want to order something that is not compatible with the mother board.

2. I would also like to install an SSD what SSD's are compatible with this mother board? I believe it has an M.2 slot so would any M.2. SSD work?

Thanks in advanced!

Edited the content to hide personal information
Acer-Samuel

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @Curt15
    Memory Support
    DDR4 1.2V 3200/2666 U-DIMMs (4GB/8GB/16GB) dual channel up to 64GB total memory
    Expansion options
    • One PCI Express x16 slot (reserved for GPU card installation) • Two M.2 slots

Hard disk drive (HDD)
    • One HDD bay supporting 3.5-inch SATA HDD • Support 7200 rpm SATA HDD in 1TB/2TB capacities Solid state drive (SSD) • One M.2 slot supporting Solid State Drives (SSD)
    • Support SSD in 128GB/256GB/512GB capacities
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Curt15

Tinkerer

edited April 2020
    Options
    Jack22 said:
    @Curt15
    Memory Support
    DDR4 1.2V 3200/2666 U-DIMMs (4GB/8GB/16GB) dual channel up to 64GB total memory
    Expansion options
    • One PCI Express x16 slot (reserved for GPU card installation) • Two M.2 slots

Hard disk drive (HDD)
    • One HDD bay supporting 3.5-inch SATA HDD • Support 7200 rpm SATA HDD in 1TB/2TB capacities Solid state drive (SSD) • One M.2 slot supporting Solid State Drives (SSD)
    • Support SSD in 128GB/256GB/512GB capacities
    Thanks Jack,

So this might be a dumb follow up question but all that being said is the ram and the ssd you described pretty much universal? As long as it meets those criteria?

I appreciate the response! 

Acer-Samuel
  • Curt15

Tinkerer

Options
    @Jack22

follow up question above 
  • Woodlandstar
    Woodlandstar Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hi, I have the same computer bought last week, and was looking for similar info. Acer doesn’t even list this particular PC on their website.
    the site I bought it off listed the 8gb ram as 2400hz, but in checks using CPU-Z it appears to be more closer to 2666. 
  • Curt15

Tinkerer

Options
    Yeah the fact that they don’t give you a mother board manual blows my mind I even contacted customer care. I think I bought the right stuff now my problem is I need to figure out what kind of screw I need to mount the m.2 ssd, cause obviously they didn’t leave that in the mother board that would make to much sense
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    Hi @Curt15,
    The correct screw size is 2.0 x 3 mm (CM2x3-3.3) and here is a link just for reference:
    https://www.moddiy.com/categories/Screws-and-Bits/M2-2mm-Screws-Notebook-Screws/

Please click Yes, if I have answered your question. 
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• Curt15

Tinkerer

Options
    batmalin said:
    Hi @Curt15,
    The correct screw size is 2.0 x 3 mm (CM2x3-3.3) and here is a link just for reference:
    https://www.moddiy.com/categories/Screws-and-Bits/M2-2mm-Screws-Notebook-Screws/

Please click Yes, if I have answered your question. 
    Thank You!
    @batmalin
    what about the stand off? Do I need one of those as well? And if so what size
  • batmalin
    Options
    Hi there @Curt15 the stand off should be on the MB like in the picture below:

• Woodlandstar
    Woodlandstar Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Curt15 said:
    Hi,
    I recently bought a Nitro N50-110 gaming desktop, I am having a hard time getting all the motherboard information as it does not seem to be readily available but I have two questions.

1. Will any DDR4 2666mhz RAM work with this machine? My thought was to install dual channel memory (16GB) 2x8gb but I don't want to order something that is not compatible with the mother board.

2. I would also like to install an SSD what SSD's are compatible with this mother board? I believe it has an M.2 slot so would any M.2. SSD work?

Thanks in advanced!

Acer-Samuel
    Did you manage to buy any suitable ram? I'm still looking but not pulling the trigger until 100% sure.
    Is your N50-110 the AMD Ryzen 5 3500 version? The retailer I bought it from lists the ram as 2400MHz, but when I've done tests using CPU-Z program, it lists as dual 1330.6MHz (so 2661.20). So from that I think I should get higher than 2400MHz, but then I'm going against the retailers specification (but they could be wrong?). Would it matter anyway getting a higher MHz? Would it just default to the maximum it could handle?
  • sevymli
    sevymli Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Hello everyone,

First of all please forgive me for my bad grammar. It’s the best for now with a Free version of Grammarly. Click here to Skip Ads  :)

There are many gray zones about specifications of Acer Nitro N50 Desktop PC components. First of all, I can’t figure out why Acer hides or doesn’t care about the specs explanation of their motherboard specs. It’s important for us when we want to upgrade our system and the customers can learn the right components only by trial and error. As you expect when the component doesn’t fit your system, you try to another one. This is the Acer way to lost money and time.

However, maybe Acer Support Squad hear us and do something to fix these issues.

I recently bought a Nitro N50-110 (DG.E1FEM.009) gaming desktop with AMD Ryzen 5 3500 CPU & Nvidia GTX1650 GPU from hepsiburada.com which is Turkey’s biggest national e-store. I decide to upgrade some parts after checking over the components. Here is the list of my successful upgrades:

1. M.2 SSD Upgrade: WD SN550 500GB High-Performance M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (S500G2B0C). I need a fast SSD to play games with good performance. That's      why I choose an M.2 SSD drive (link https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-gb/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-sn550-nvme-ssd#WDS500G2B0C). There is one little problem with that. I think the Acer suppose to be rich with spare the M.2 SSD port screw. You have to find one screw to upgrade your system with an M.2 SSD drive. However, the screw size is 2.0 x 3 mm (CM2x3-3.3) and you can get one by your local or web computer component shop. Don’t be afraid about the price, it’s cheap to buy but expensive to spend time.
    2. The Chassis Fan Upgrade: The default chassis fan was loud as my ventilator and I decide to change it. That makes me seek a quiet fan. My choice is Noctua NF-A9 PWM (link https://noctua.at/en/nf-a9-pwm) for chassis fan. And I don’t need to use Low-Noise Adaptor (L.N.A.) because it was a very quiet fan. For now, I use the freeware version of Argus Monitor to set the fan speed and check the temp of my components. It’s pretty good and if I like it, maybe I can pay for the full version.
    3. RAM Upgrade: Kingston HyperX Fury 8x2 16GB DDR4 3200 MHz CL16 HX432C16FB3/8 RAM. The default RAM is Samsung 8 GB DDR4 2666 MHz (But it’s work as 1333 MHz because the Dual RAM slots) CL20 M378A1K43DB2-CTD and the CAS Latency (CL) values of timing tables are 17-18-19-20. By the way, the motherboard has 4 slots for RAM and they are dual pairs. The RAM MHz value became 2400 MHz after I plug my RAM’s to the dual slots (link https://www.hyperxgaming.com/unitedkingdom/en/memory/fury-ddr4). Yes, the MHz goes to a lower point than plugged pair of default Samsung RAMs but I bought them for my feature CPU & motherboard upgrades. By the way, you can't change the Voltage values over the Acer motherboard (I wish Acer update the motherboard firmware driver that can enable us to change the RAM voltage from 1.2 to 1.35. Buy the way, the last firmware update was 9 months ago and that's mean Acer forgot their AMD Ryzen 5 3500 supported motherboards since 10/09/2019. Don't forget it's hard to find RAM that works 1.2v and 3200MHz. If you can find then give a try.
    4. Anti-dust Add-on Upgrade: SilverStone 2x14cm Magnetized Chassis Fan Filter (SST-FF142B). I don’t know is it necessary for you but I’d rather use it because after a while the inside of the chassis would very dusty (link https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=339).

Further upgrades:

1. Maybe I would like to use an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor as a Multithreading CPU. But now I don’t need one and the 6 core - 6 thread CPU is enough for me. By the way, you can upgrade the CPU without upgrade the motherboard. The southbridge chipset is AMD X570 and its support Future AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processors With the ‘Zen 3’ Architecture
    2. If I need a better motherboard in further, my choice would be one of “Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Impact AMD X570 4800MHz DDR4 AM4 Mini ITX” or “Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI AMD B450 2133MHz DDR4 AM4 Mini ITX” or “MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC AMD B450 3466MHz DDR4 AM4” in Mini ITX motherboards.

That’s all for now. And I wish to share their experiences here the users of Acer Nitro N50-110 Gaming Desktop with AMD Ryzen 5 3500 CPU and Nvidia GTX1650 GPU. Maybe we can support us with each other's experience without the need of Acer Support Community Staf  ;)

Sincerely.

• Curt15

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello,

Me again, succesfully upgraded the ram as well as added the SSD thanks for everyones help.

Since everyone here has been so helpful I'm just curious going forward what the maximum upgrade to the graphics card might be for this computer?

Thanks in advance!

Curtis
  • batmalin
    Options
    Hi again,
    What is the model and the CPU? You have to consider the size of the graphic card, the PSU and to check if the CPU will not bottleneck the GPU as well.
    So maximum  is up to the factors above ;)

• Curt15

Tinkerer

Options
    That's good to know! um, the computer model is the Acer Nitro N50-110-ES11, the CPU is a AMD Ryzen 5 3500 6-core processor, and yeah it is a bit of a tight case so I will have to just eye-ball that.

thanks for the fast response!
  • batmalin
    Options

• fabiorei1
    fabiorei1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Curt15 said:
    Hello,

Me again, succesfully upgraded the ram as well as added the SSD thanks for everyones help.

Since everyone here has been so helpful I'm just curious going forward what the maximum upgrade to the graphics card might be for this computer?

Thanks in advance!

Curtis
    Hi, also thinking of upgrading ram and ssd,  which ram and ssd did you use exactly, having trouble finding the exact ones, so thinking of getting new ones, and did the speeds work as expected for the ram? And this may be a stupid question, but above the guy said it supports 128/256/512gb, so 1TB would not work at all? and would a 500gb name ssd work? Thanks for your help.
  • sevymli
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Today I tried to replace the thermal compound on my CPU, but the mounting part is broken. I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 stock cooler and tried to replace the parts. But the CPU mounting parts' screw holes are not at the same distance as the standard AM4 part. Any solution?
  • sevymli
    Options
    sevymli said:
    Hi everyone,
    Today I tried to replace the thermal compound on my CPU, but the mounting part is broken. I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 stock cooler and tried to replace the parts. But the CPU mounting parts' screw holes are not at the same distance as the standard AM4 part. Any solution?
    I Find it! The motherboard is compatible with am4 socket cpu. But the motherboard is actually designed for AM3 socket CPUs. That was the reason I can't fit my AM4 bracket on the motherboard. The cpu mounting part (bracket) is at AM3 bracket size.
  • sevymli
    Options
    I decide to replace the nameless, supportless, and stock motherboard with that have a brand and support. But the Acer Nitro N50-110 case inner sizes are somewhere between of mini ITX and micro ATX size's. Gues what? The motherboard is not in universal micro ATX size, that is sad because the micro ATX motherboards prices are less than half of mini ITX motherboards prices.

But there is a Micro ATX motherboard that can fit in this cases and the motherboard brand/model is Asus Prime A520M-E. I measure the dimensions of the motherboard and case inner space. There is no problem with teorical size. If I'm success it, than I'll share info about the results.
  • Vivalamayo
    Vivalamayo Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Sorry for responding something more random but I've been struggling to get help and support for my question,I have this pre build acer N50-110 and I'm wanting to know what options I have for GPU Upgrade whats best for my build and whats the limitations whats the highest cars i can get for significantimprovement to performance,power wattage is 500W and I've added an extra 16GB of ram if that matters.

• castironlung
    castironlung Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi All, I know this is an old post, but I wanted to check something before I try to upgrade my sons N50-110. I want to add an SSD, ideally an M.2 for speed. Second post down says that it has M.2 slot built-it but on the Acer Product Page it doesn't mention one.

Below is an image of what I think might the M.2 slot, but I don't want to buy the SSD to find out it's not supported. I'm looking at buying one of these from Crucial.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and apologies if a stupid question

This discussion has been closed.