My SW5-011 has stopped working. I can't access any of the boot options or any other screen

Options
HKhosravan
HKhosravan Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
So all of a sudden, my computer would go to a blue screen when turned on. 

Acer Logo -> Blue Screen:

"Recovery 
Your PC couldn't start properly 
a required device isn't connected or cant be accessed 

Error Code: 0xc0000225

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you do not have any installation media (like disc or USB device) contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer 

Press the Windows Key for UEFI Firmware Settings "

Now if I press Alt+F10 heres the screen that comes up: 

"Edit Boot Options

Edit Windows Boot options for: Windows 8.1

Path: \windows\system32\winload.efi

Partition: {1ef29d35-f578-409a-badb-51f157acc336}
Hard Disk: {xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx}

[ /noexecute=optin / novga"

There are no boot options like mentioned here in the other posts, at this point I am so frustrated that I am willing to let go of all my files and just do a clean factory reset. Unfortunately no resources found online and customer care, instead of making the boot software available online like every other brand, is out here wanting to charge $79 just to get diagnostic which I will not be doing. Please can someone help me with this? This is my only computer and I need to be working with it. 

My Laptop details which I don't know how to read: 

SW5-011-18R3-US W81SSTO32A31/Z3745/BT/2G/32GB SSD/2L5.7/10.1

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    edited April 2020
    Options
    You are going to need to get access to another machine so you can create a bootable install flash drive. It sounds like you were still running Windows 8.1 and didn't do the Windows 10 upgrade when it was free? I believe what's happening is one or more of the partitions on your drive has become corrupt enough that the system can't load the filesystem. That's the "required device" that isn't there. You can boot from an install image (IIRC you will need Windows 8.1 Home 32 bit) and from there run tools like chkdsk and diskpart to try and get the filesystem recovered if the problem is with the C: drive and tools like bootrec if the issue is the UEFI partition. In either case if it turns out the drive itself is toast you are out of luck, the eMMC drive on this model is soldered to the motherboard, so not replaceable.
    BTW, decoding parts of the details string says it runs Windows 8.1 using USA default settings for keyboard and language, uses an Atom Z3745 processor, supports Bluetooth, has 2GB of memory, a 32GB eMMC drive and a 10.1" screen. I'm not sure what the 2L5.7 or SSTO32A31 is though. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • HKhosravan
    Options
    Tanks Billsey! The software you're talking about are all costly ($70-150 in some cases) I don't have a single penny to my name. I remember with my compaq, dell and gateway PC's back in the day, the manufacturer would make the drives available for free to download since it didn't involve any licensing or keys needed (Since you purchased your windows initially) But the great folks at Acer, on top of making amazing computers have decided that sub-par post sales service is the way to go in this day and age. 
    Also, mind you I have very illiterate when it comes to computers. Social Media savy but couldn't touch a harddrive or code to save my life. I was looking for something to download on a USB and stick it in mine and get it fixed. 

So I got to the screen where its suppose to be the Option for Boot and theres a black screen with this message: 

Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed. 
    Insert Recovery Media and Hit any Key 
    Then select ' Boot Manager' to choose a new boot 
    Device or to Boot Recovery Mode

Then when I just press any key nothing happens
  • billsey
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I didn't talk about any software that needs to be purchased that I'm aware of. The software that would cost you would be to purchase the original recovery image from Acer. Since that includes a new Windows license they can't make it into a public download, so they charge to purchase it if you have either not created one yourself as part of the initial setup of your machine or you have lost the one you created. Most, if not all, manufacturers are obligated to do the same thing, they don't allow a free download of the OS. You toughest task to do in my suggestions is to get the Windows install flash drive setup, since that requires a different computer as long as yours isn't running. To create the flash image you download the Windows 8.1 Home 32bit ISO from Microsoft then put that on the flash drive either using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool or Rufus ( a freeware utility). Once you have that flash drive ready to go you can diagnose to see if you have a bad drive or just a corrupted image.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • HKhosravan
    Options
    billsey said:
    You toughest task to do in my suggestions is to get the Windows install flash drive setup, since that requires a different computer as long as yours isn't running. To create the flash image you download the Windows 8.1 Home 32bit ISO from Microsoft then put that on the flash drive either using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool or Rufus ( a freeware utility). Once you have that flash drive ready to go you can diagnose to see if you have a bad drive or just a corrupted image.
    So what would the next step be if I did this. I have a runnning computer right now, Im using. My Acer is down for the count/ 
  • billsey
    Options
    Ok, the next step is to create a Windows boot image using Microsoft's website for the ISO image. Choose your language and the 32bit download when requested. You might have the best luck with Rufus to create the flash drive from the downloaded ISO.
  • HKhosravan
    Options
    billsey said:
    Ok, the next step is to create a Windows boot image using Microsoft's website for the ISO image. Choose your language and the 32bit download when requested. You might have the best luck with Rufus to create the flash drive from the downloaded ISO.
    So I just downloaded the ISO image went to Rufus and found out that the only downloadable version of their software is for PC and they dont have a MAc and my work computer which im currently using to fix my own is a Mac! I am downloading the Win 8.1 32bit ISO file as we speak which is a 3 GB file
  • billsey
    Options
    OK there is an equivalent software for the Mac that is also free. Some quick Google-Fu should give you several suggestions. I don't have a preferences since I don't have a Mac to test them on. :)
  • HKhosravan
    Options
    billsey said:
    OK there is an equivalent software for the Mac that is also free. Some quick Google-Fu should give you several suggestions. I don't have a preferences since I don't have a Mac to test them on. :)
    Got it. Found one and installed it successfully. Question is for Partition Style: Should I use MBR or GPT
  • billsey
    Options
    Since it came originally with 8.1 you should use GPT/UEFI.