PH315-52-78VL Best RAM and Drive Upgrade Components

ShaunP
ShaunP Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello!
Thanks for giving me some time :)  I just recently bought this sweet gaming laptop for the purpose of being able to start practicing video editing.  Unfortunately I've already started maxing out its capabilities when I am trying to preview edits in Davinci.  This is a big issue because the screen will lag for just a second right at the transition points, which makes it impossible to see what the effect of my edit is.  I know laptops and not the best solution for video editing, but what I'm doing right now is still pretty light and I figured this laptop (which I love, I've never even had an SSD lol) would be able to handle it.  Oo I'm looking to upgrade internal storage (with something that still has a super fast read and write speed) and upgrade the ram.  I started looking into some youtube stuff on it and got confused as it seems components like hard drives and ram both have compatibility issues that you need to tip toe around.  Also, it seems like this laptop might have empty space designed for upgrades without having to replace the factory drive and ram???  That concept is foreign to me, but awesome if it's the case!  I used to be super computer knowledgeable...15 years ago.  But this is the first time modern day that I've looked into any sort of computer hardware project.  

Anyway, here's what I bought - Acer PH315-52-78VL

My questions are basic:

1) Can I install a new drive and new memory without taking out the factory stuff?

2) What would you recommend as the best components in each of those categories that are compatible with the computer?  I'd probably be willing to spend up to $300, but would prefer to keep it lower.  And would maybe go higher if it's a drastic increase in quality.

3) Am I right in assuming that these upgrades (specifically the RAM, the hardrive I just want more space with) would at least help with if not totally solve the problem I described with video editing?  I'm hoping it's not a graphics card issue!

Thank You!
-Shaun