Erratic add in sound card output

Phlyer
Phlyer Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi all,

1st post.  Firstly, im not a noob, ive been building PCs etc since the late 80s, and i know a few tricks.   I bought this new Aspire just over a year ago, when the old PC died.  i fitted the old add in sound card from the old PC, and i had issues with it from the outset. I did struggle to find suitable 64bit drivers for the card and I eventually took it out and ordered a new card.  This was fitted about 3 months ago, and since then Ive suffered from a really REALLY annoying degree of inconsistancy with sound output, which has gradually got worse.    Some days, the PC will boot and everythings fine.  Some days I boot up, and theres no sound. I disabled the onboard chip in BIOS when i fitted the add in card, but then discovered the headphones wouldnt function (the front panel plug is evidently driven from the on board chip).  So the on board card was re-enabled.   I jiggle with drivers and uninstall, reinstall etc and sometimes i get sound back, even using sys restore doesnt always work. Perversely all thrugh the headphones work fine, and when you plug them in or remove them you can see the system switching between cards.  When theres no sound, if I turn the volumes up full, there is actually very quiet output from the speakers but even sitting close to them, you can only just hear it.   Its got to the stage now where on sunday after spending 2 hours trying to get the PC to fire up, and after 3 system crashes, and forced restarts, 2 sys restores, (the crashes are somehow related to the sys restores)  neither of which worked, and one crashed on restart i pressed the nuke OS button and did an OS reinstall.  3 days later im still reinstaling progs etc, as I expected having done this in the past with my old XP machine.  Anyway, thats the background.  Today, after 2 days of headphones only sound ive had enough and plugged the speakers back into the onboard sockets. The add in card will be removed when i get 5 mins.  Sound is back, but the question is WHY does the system recognise the add in card so erratically?  and why should it change almost on a day to day basis?     I also have fitted my old add in vid card which has drastically improved the video side which was struggling, despite the power of this new PC.

Ideas anyone?