what cpu is the best for my system?

Options
JosiahK
JosiahK Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
I have recently bought a pc off a friend, it has an intel i3 2100, 16gb ddr3 ram, Gateway DT71 motherboard and i have just upgraded the gpu to a gtx 1050ti. When gaming i am still experiencing fps drops and i think this is due to the cpu. Which cpu will work in my system without having to get any bios updates. I was thinking of a intel i7 2600 but can anyone confirm that I will be able to install it, reboot my system, and be good to go.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options
    The i3-2100 is a 2nd gen CPU, you should be able to replace it with any other 2nd gen, though you might have power restrictions if the PSU hasn't been upgraded when you put the 1050 in. What model is the computer? We can most of the time look it up to see which processors they specced for it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JosiahK
    Options
    My friend bought it as a pre built pc it is not actually an acer desktop but it has an acer/gateway motherboard. How can i find which acer pc’s have the same motherboard cos then i could find out if an i7 2600 was ever released.
  • JosiahK
    Options
    it also has a 450w power supply.
  • billsey
    Options
    Somewhere on the MB there should be a marking or sticker that gives the MB model. With that and some Google-Fu we might be able to find out if they used the MB in any model. From there we can get specs on the model to figure out what's really possible. If the CPU is an i3-2100 (no T on the end) it's a 65W CPU. The i7-2600S is also a 65W CPU so should work fine. The i7-2600 is a 95W CPU. It's likely to work but you could potentially run into long term issues with heat dissipation. A better cooler could help with that, but at an added cost. Your 450W supply should be good enough for either.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JosiahK
    Options

is that the model number written on that sticker?
  • billsey
    Options
    It is, the Q67H2-AM motherboard was used on a few systems back in the day, one of which is the S6610G. It looks like there have been plenty of people who have upgraded, so lots of data to choose from.
  • JosiahK
    Options
    so i should be all goo to install the i7 2600, reboot the system and be good to go. thanks for the help 
  • billsey
    Options
    Let us know how well the upgrade progresses...
  • JosiahK
    Options
    will do :D