F Function keys without FN key. PLEASE HELP!

Options
switch7User
switch7User Member Posts: 9 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello, 

my product is : Switch 7  SW713-51GNP

Unfortunetly my F keys, is set to secondary tasks as default. 

When I press F1, it goes sleep, however, to use F1 key , I need to press FN+F1..

For most of the office apps, Excel, and also games, I need default F keys...

I have updated my bios 1.10.. But there is no option regarding FN key usage.. Also Acer Quick settings app, do not have this option either.. 
I desperetly need to recover my F keys, than the sleep/airplane etc tasks which ruins my all efficency during usage. And somehow sometimes I mistakely hit F1 key, and computer goes to sleep in the middle of a conference or a game which drives my crazy..

So pls ACER engineers, read this, and update the BIOS.. I dont want my F function keys, to be used as secondary. PLEASE!!!!!

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good evening  switch7User !

Just access the Bios and in the FunctionKeysBehavior option change from Special Keys to Media Keys.
    Save and restart.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• switch7User
    Options
    Good evening MacClane
    Thank you for response..

I upted my bios to the latest, unfortunetly I do not have that option. Neither a key mapper would work, because, windows based mappers cannot catch, bios based FN keys. 

I also attach the pictures. 

Really I am not understanding, what kind of engineer decided that, to assign secondary helping tasks to the F function keys as default, meanwhile removing standart F function key and making it only can be accessed with a FN key, which %99 of computers of the world uses it actively, espicially those whom uses EXCEL, or game. 

Besides this, eventhough ; they couldnt think, how can you put sleep button as F1 key. there were many times, instead of ESC, I put computer to sleep, which made me pist off.. What kind of engineer can do this design mistake..

Neverthless, this, they are not updating BIOS for this function still to give this option.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,706 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>I have updated my bios 1.10.. But there is no option regarding FN key usage.>>>

I feel your pain. Keep checking the BIOS updates like the rest of us ACER users. I suspect it'll eventually be fixed like it has in some similar models with the same makes-no-sense default setting from the factory. How soon? I have no idea. Till then, press the FN key like the rest of us if you want the function keys to work the way they should. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• switch7User
    Options
    Another funny part, 

F2 and F12 works before BIOS, after that, u need to use them with FN key... 

• switch7User
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>I have updated my bios 1.10.. But there is no option regarding FN key usage.>>>

I feel your pain. Keep checking the BIOS updates like the rest of us ACER users. I suspect it'll eventually be fixed like it has in some similar models with the same makes-no-sense default setting from the factory. How soon? I have no idea. Till then, press the FN key like the rest of us if you want the function keys to work the way they should. Jack E/NJ
    Thank you JackE, 

most hard part is waiting tho, there should be something that to do. I dont know how can I reach to the technical department, whom is responsible of BIOS updates. 

Does anyone have idea, how we can reach, to technical crew about updates , to state the problem directly?
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>F2 and F12 works before BIOS, after that, u need to use them with FN key... >>>

Consider yourself lucky. Or you'd probably never be able to access the BIOS with F2 key. Or even boot from an alternate drive with F12 key. Hmmmm. I wonder if the ALT+F10 cold boot recovery method works before and after the BIOS ACER logo screen appears? Wanna be a guinea pig? Cuz I'm afraid :)

Seriously though, once upon a time not long ago, there was an ACER IDEAS community section where users such as you or me could suggest and post good ideas that made sense. They usually addressed what might best be described as ACER ANNOYANCES that should be able to be fixed without too much effort.   It was supposed to have a better chance of getting the attention of the ACER technical crew than the usual ACER PROBLEM forums. It somehow disappeared. Why? Your guess is as good as mine?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• switch7User
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>F2 and F12 works before BIOS, after that, u need to use them with FN key... >>>

Consider yourself lucky. Or you'd probably never be able to access the BIOS with F2 key. Or even boot from an alternate drive with F12 key. Hmmmm. I wonder if the ALT+F10 cold boot recovery method works before and after the BIOS ACER logo screen appears? Wanna be a guinea pig? Cuz I'm afraid 
      Jack E/NJ

No luck with alt+f10 either  fn+alt+f10. Windows recovery in my case, do not start with these keys.

JackE said:
    Seriously though, once upon a time not long ago, there was an ACER IDEAS community section where users such as you or me could suggest and post good ideas that made sense. They usually addressed what might best be described as ACER ANNOYANCES that should be able to be fixed without too much effort.   It was supposed to have a better chance of getting the attention of the ACER technical crew than the usual ACER PROBLEM forums. It somehow disappeared. Why? Your guess is as good as mine?
      Jack E/NJ

This Acer ideas would be awesome. Because I have seen many , that suffered about FN key default in this forum. 

I yesterday wrote an email to public relations to Stella Chou, who is Senior Manager of Corporate Communications at Acer.
    And I gave this link.  I hope she will read and deliver it to the technical department regarding bios. 
    But I couldnt reach, Jerry Kao President of IT Products Business yet.  

And I hope they bring Acer Ideas, community forums. 

All I am asking is a rightfull bios update that fixes the keyboard, to a normal state that how the majority of the world uses..  :(

• JackE
    Options
    >>>No luck with alt+f10 either  fn+alt+f10. Windows recovery in my case, do not start with these keys.>>>

Check the BIOS Main tab and make sure the D2D option is enabled. The ALT+F10 cold boot method should work when D2D option is enabled. It usually works by first pressing and holding the ALT and F10 keys before pressing power button. Then while still holding the two keys, press the power button to turn the machine on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• switch7User
    Options
    Yes it gets to restore, so which means 

F keys are normal before BIOS, and swith to FN+F  after bios.  as how I enter setup F2 or open boot menu with F12.

So I hope so much these ACER engineers publish a Bios update for this  "annoying" issue.
  • JackE
    Options
    Yeah. We'll have to see what happens. Have you heard back from Ms. Chou yet? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• switch7User
    Options
    I had my response, 
    I am content now. 

Thank you all.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,460 Trailblazer
    Options
    What response did you get? There are others who have the same questions...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Options
    Hello, 

my product is : Switch 7  SW713-51GNP

Unfortunetly my F keys, is set to secondary tasks as default. 

When I press F1, it goes sleep, however, to use F1 key , I need to press FN+F1..

For most of the office apps, Excel, and also games, I need default F keys...

I have updated my bios 1.10.. But there is no option regarding FN key usage.. Also Acer Quick settings app, do not have this option either.. 
    I desperetly need to recover my F keys, than the sleep/airplane etc tasks which ruins my all efficency during usage. And somehow sometimes I mistakely hit F1 key, and computer goes to sleep in the middle of a conference or a game which drives my crazy..

So pls ACER engineers, read this, and update the BIOS.. I dont want my F function keys, to be used as secondary. PLEASE!!!!!

Hi switch7User,

I understand this can be frustrating for you, please see the private message i have sent you to better assist you.

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • PJG
    PJG Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Hello I'm having a similar issue with my Acer Swift 3 v1.08. My fn keys locked when I restarted this morning and then when I checked my bios there was no funtion key option available... It seems like the person who asked got their response through personal message... Can I please request the same as I have not found any resolution to this issue yet

Edited the content to hide sensitive information
    Acer-Samuel
  • JackE
    Options
    Please send this as a personal message to @Acer-Karp . Thanks. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PJG
    PJG Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    JackE said:
     have sent it...

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Options
    JackE said:
    PJG said:
    JackE said:
     have sent it...

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the function keys, unfortunately, we are not able to provide any other BIOS to enable FN Keys options, you will need to contact your local support for assistance PJG.

Support: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/PH/content/service-contact

Note: This thread will be closed. 

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
This discussion has been closed.