My Acer Aspire A515-54-708W won't play sound through headphones or speaker plugged into jack

cmac
cmac Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have only had this laptop for about three weeks, and only used headphones or a small speaker a couple of times in the first two weeks.  The first couple of times I used them, they worked fine.  This past week, when I plug headphones or a small speaker into the headphone jack, I get the pop-up window asking what device I plugged in.  I select "headphones" or "speaker" (depending on what I plugged in), but the sound continues to play through the laptop speaker, and not at all through the plugged-in device.  The only exception I have found to this, is if I reboot the computer with the headphones or speaker already plugged in, then once it starts up, the sound plays through the headphones.  However, if I then unplug and replug them back in, I have the same problem as before.  Sound comes through the laptop speaker, but not through the headphones.

I have checked for and downloaded any updates I found that were available for the Realtek audio stuff through the device manager, and either it tells me I already have the most up-to-date drivers, or I have downloaded any that were available.  I have also made sure all available Windows 10 updates are installed.  I know the computer has gotten a couple of Windows updates already since I bought it, but I don't know if that would have caused any issues or not.

I have done a pile of searching for a solution online, and have tried any suggestions that seemed applicable.  I'm wondering if this is an issue that can be resolved through some sort of software update or another method?  Or should I be taking the laptop back to the store and asking for a new one?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,329 Trailblazer
    That's because you're trying to use a 3-ring stereo speaker or headphone plug in a 4-ring headset jack designed to operate with mics. If you pull the headphone or speaker jack slightly out instead of all the way in you can sometimes get them to be recognized. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• cmac
    cmac Member Posts: 2 New User
    Ah, interesting.  I don't know much about these things :-D.  So, in theory, if I had headphones with a 4-ring plug, they should work fine?

Also, it doesn't seem like that explains why the headphones work if I reboot the computer with them already plugged in.  Any thoughts?

I appreciate the help!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,329 Trailblazer
    Hot plugging a headphone plug into a headset jack may or may not work depending on how fast and how far you insert the plug. It has to do with detecting all the plug rings during an interrupt clock cycle when the jack port is actually being probed by the CPU. Cold plugging isn't the same deal. Just use a PC or OMTP style headset. Or experiment with the speed with which you insert the 3 ring plug from the headphones or speakers. Bottom line, I don't think anything's wrong with your headset jack. If you feel otherwise, either return it to the vendor as defective for an exchange or refund before its RMA returns policy period expires or arrange for ACER warranty repair pronto. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• ProdigalSonFLK
    ProdigalSonFLK Member Posts: 1 New User
    I've had the same frustrating experience, trying to plug a 3 contact plug into the jack.  It works reliably if plugged in at boot, but never after unplugging and replugging.

The following workaround seems promising.  Bring up the "Realtek Audio Console" and select "Device advanced settings" in the lower left hand corner of the screen.  Next screen presents a "Connector Retasking" choice for Analog.  Sometimes - but not always - it's available, that is, not greyed out.  (if greyed out, restarting the console usually seems to bring it back.)  Changing it to "Speaker Out" or "Headphones" (but not "Lineset" for the reasons illustrated above) gets the output to work (unlike the popup from the Taskbar, which doesn't for whatever reasons.)

There may be more to this or a better way, but I thought I should share what I've found so far, before someone else gives up on what otherwise seems to be a good laptop.

In Windows 10 one can add "Realtek Audio Console" to the Start choices, so the workaround becomes a couple clicks closer.  

[Sidebar: I vigorously disagree with the idea of deleting the Realtek Audio Console below, at least I'm not inclined to try it.  But I must give credit where it's due, and the path to the above workaround was suggested by the comment in  https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/583768/head-phone-jack-not-working-acer-aspire-a515-43-r19l
      "I had this exact problem as well, and the solution was as simple as uninstalling the
      Realtek Audio Manager or Control or whatever it's called. Delete the program, leave the driver."
  • Hamender
    Hamender Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited December 2020
    There is no issue, That over smart realtek driver is causing issues. Uninstall that and let windows 10 install the driver for your audio device. I just did it and it worked like charm.