Head phone jack not working - Acer Aspire A515-43-R19L

Options
MikeMo
MikeMo Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2019 in Aspire Laptops
I have a new Acer Aspire A515-43-R19L laptop and was testing all the features. I notice that the headphone jack was not working so I went into device manager and selected sounds,video and game controller. I updated the drivers for both AMD high definition audio device and Realtek audio. This worked until you unplug the headphones and plug them back in it stops working again. If you reboot the laptop with the headphones plugged in the headphone will start working again. anyone know a fix for this problem? or is having the same problem.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    If the headphones aren't recognized right away when plugged in, which is common depending on the headphone make & model, then right click on the speaker icon in the tray. Then click playback devices. Then choose the headphones in the box that pops up. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MikeMo
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Thanks for your answer JackE, but that happens automatically when you plug in the headphone. The box appears with headphones connected and you just click OK. My Acer headphone sound didn't even work until I upgraded the drivers. Try this on your laptop, listen to something with your headphone attached, pause the sound and unplug the headphones. Now listen through the speakers for a minute then pause the sound and plug the headphones back in. The box appears to select headphone connected and press OK. My headphones no longer work at this point, sound still comes thru speakers. I have to restart my laptop with the headphones plugged for it to start working again. I was just wondering if anyone experienced this same problem. I mainly use Bluetooth headphones so no problem, but if something isn't working right I would like to know.    

• Odyssey346
    Odyssey346 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I guess the only option is sending it to repair.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> My Acer headphone sound didn't even work until I upgraded the drivers.>>>

Did you get these new drivers from the ACER driver update  site? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MikeMo
    Options
    I just clicked on the update drivers button and it search the web. I don't know where they came from. I'll look for other driver on Acer web site. Thanks
  • FlorSTL
    FlorSTL Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    MikeMo said:
    I have a new Acer Aspire A515-43-R19L laptop and was testing all the features. I notice that the headphone jack was not working so I went into device manager and selected sounds,video and game controller. I updated the drivers for both AMD high definition audio device and Realtek audio. This worked until you unplug the headphones and plug them back in it stops working again. If you reboot the laptop with the headphones plugged in the headphone will start working again. anyone know a fix for this problem? or is having the same problem.

Hi: I have the same problem. Did you find a solution?
  • wgornkle
    wgornkle Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I had this exact problem as well, and the solution was as simple as uninstalling the Realtek Audio Manager or Control or whatever it's called. Delete the program, leave the driver.
  • SamuelTheR
    SamuelTheR Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Hello,
    I know this is a bit late but I had the same issue, and did some deep searching on Google.

This laptop has a dust protector that is like a flap inside. I know it may feel like breaking your brand new laptop, but push the AUX cable in really hard. You will feel a click, then a pop up from Realtek asking what to use the aux connection as.

So simple, I didn't want to break my laptop, tried it, and it worked!
    I hope this worked for those that had this issue :smiley:

• GraemeJ
    GraemeJ Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I have a similar problem - headphones detected and selected but sound still comes from speakers.  It's the same for both wired and Bluetooth cans.  I think I'm going to have to return to Acer for a warranty repair, it's only six months old.  The left shift key stopped working a few weeks ago - I can live with that, but I need the headphones.

This is pretty poor for a computer that was just shy of €1,000
  • JackE
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Try a 4-element TRRS headset instead to see if that works. Some 3-element TRS headphones don't work properly in a TRRS jack.

If it doesn't work, shut the machine off. Remove charger. Insert paperclip into reset pinhole on the bottom for 30 seconds. Plug charger back in and turn it back on. Test it again.

If still no headphone sound, open Device Manager and uninstall ALL the sound drivers. Exit Device Manager without reinstalling anything. Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that currently are unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup if not already unchecked. Shut down Windows normally. Then turn it on and test again.

Jack E/NJ

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,284 Trailblazer
    Options
    Realtek drivers (ALC255 sound card) completely by-pass Windows10 sound app and the earphone jack is therefore controlled by Realtek Audio Console (not windows sound), To get your wired earphone to work (switch from speakers to earphone), select "Device Advanced Settings" in RT Audio Console and change in "Analog" to Headset or Earphone, you may have to repeat this till you hear sound in your earphone. I recommend to use a Bluetooth headset as this is controlled by Windows10 (BT by-passes Realtek) and sound quality + volume is far superior. If BT does not work (headset not recognized like @Graemel reports) you have a Windows10 Blue Tooth setting issue (update BT drivers, check BT Services), nothing to do with Realtek.
  • gurl
    gurl Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited September 2021
    Options

SamuelTheR  thank you, this laptop that I'm using have some issues like keys not working so I need to use the on screen keyboard (only for certain keys), the reboot thing also but I already figured it out just need to put the exact date and time of the day, so I thought there's something wrong with the jack or in the laptop when I tried to plug in the earphones. 

• DerLehrer
    DerLehrer Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Puraw's solution worked for me. Thanks, Puraw.

"Device Advanced Settings" in RT Audio Console and change in "Analog" to Headset