Monitor XV272U goes to blinking black screen with G-sync / Freesync in multimonitor setup

Options
ekze
ekze Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited February 27 in 2020 Archives

Acer XV272U P (ACER Nitro XV272UPbmiiprzx [um.hx2ee.p01])

G-Sync compatible as of 441.66 or newer

Having problems in multi-monitor setup

I am experiencing blackouts (monitor going black screen and back on again) with 100% reproduction on my config and with a 100% fix that works only until reboot. The setup is:
Ryzen 5 1600, KFA2 GeForce 1080ti, 24GB RAM, Windows 10 x64 1909, Nvidia drivers ver. 442.19
DP-DP Acer XV272UP 144Hz 1440p G-sync compatible
DP-HDMI Dell S2340L 60Hz 1080p
DP-DVI Old Sony XDM-X72 60Hz 1280x1024
HDMI-HDMI bbk TV 60Hz 4K
Whenever I start Pendulum demo in G-sync mode the screen starts flickering \ blacking out like crazy (every second the screen goes black for 2-3 seconds).
I've tried everything from changing cables and installing display drivers, trying all sorts of different nvidia drivers with clean install using DDU to even replacing GPU - nothing helped, except one thing.

The solution that works for me without fail to stop the flickering while still enjoying g-sync on multi-monitor setup (4 monitors):

1. Start Pendulum demo normally
  2. Unplug all other monitor cables from GPU (leaving the g-sync one in)
  3. Wait a few seconds to make sure flickering/blackout is gone and plug them back again

After that there are no flickers at all. But it only works until reboot. After reboot you have to do this procedure again. Even after sleep/hibernate.
I Hope this helps someone and hope Nvidia comes up with a more elegant way to fix it without having to replug cables every boot.

I have also tested and reproduced this same bug on completely different PC, running latest (442.19) nvidia drivers, w10 x64 1909, this time on Intel platform instead of AMD, so there's no correlation with that as well. This definitely looking more and more like a driver g-sync issue rather than anything else. So the other PC also had multiple monitors connected:
Via DVI: BenQ XL2411t 1080p 144hz
Via DP: DELL 3008WFP 1600p 60hz
I have added g-sync monitor and started Pendulum test - the screen was blinking - going black for 2-3 seconds.. I applied my fix that I described above, but this time I unplugged only one monitor - my DELL that was connected on other DP and then plugged it back after a few seconds. Results are astonishing: once again g-sync is working perfectly with NO black screen for 2-3 seconds.
The g-sync is working fine when the monitor is the only one that is connected, also there are no blinking when g-sync is switched off even in multi-monitor mode.

Hope this solution helps someone and I am still looking for a proper solution from Acer or Nvidia. Pulling out cables every time I want to use variable refresh rate is just troublesome and seems like a widespread issue on acer monitors. Could it be firmware related? Maybe a driver update could fix it?

Answers

• ekze
    Options
    Acer support has not been helpful, to say the least. Could only exchange messages with regional (Russian) support, they ignored my question if I could talk to global support or submit a bug report somehow. First they told me that monitor is not g-sync compatible and linked nvidia website, when I showed the screenshot from nvidia site that they linked with that same monitor listed as compatible, they told me that it's for a different modification (sic), then they told me to turn off g-sync as it's not guaranteed to work with that model (sic). After I linked them the thread that the problem occurs on Freesync with AMD as well they answered some nonsense ("this is the thread about FreeSync with AMD gpu", duh) and told me to contact Nvidia if I don't believe them (Incident: 200326-001232).
    I have found numerous similar reports about other Acer monitors, some claiming that issues disappeared after firmware upgrade. I'm hoping Acer developers see this thread and investigate this issue, if there is indeed no way to contact them directly to report a bug.
  • ekze
    Options
    The issue is still present. Thanks for nothing, Acer.