Charger disconnecting and reconnecting after reaching 80% or 89% or 90%

Options
EllyElenna
EllyElenna Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 2020 in Predator Laptops
Hello, 

Since last Friday I have started having an issue with my laptop predator PH317-51. When charging and reaching 90% it suddenly disconnects for 5 seconds or 10s and then reconnects. Now it happens at 80% and I have caught an unusual behavior. Sometimes, when the battery is almost done and I'm reconnecting the charger, it shuts down. Last time it only locked it, it did turn off but did not shut down. I have tried aaall solutions I could find on the internet. Reset the internal battery, turned it on after 2 hours. I thought it was good until it reached 92% and it disconnected. Changed the battery plan on saving battery. When I connected the charger after, it went till 86%, still connected, it dropped to 85% just as soon as it went up to 86% and just 2 or 3 seconds later it was 86%. I spoke to someone in pc service, and they said it might be the motherboard and it usually cannot be fixed in service. I find this a huge hit to my plans and pockets. This laptop wasn't cheap and I'm using it for hard-processed apps for my work and in my hurry to fix it and have it work as before, I opened it to disconnect the battery as some tips on other Acer forums cases were stating, cause I thought the warranty was gone. Usually, things get broken and malfunctioning after the warranty expires. But I still have 3 months left. Now I'm having trust issues. I did not break any sigils, so the inside is untouched and not visible that it was opened. but it can be seen slightly on the edge of the case where it was a bit forced to open. I wonder if they would still accept it.... nevertheless, my last run with the official laptop service on a previous Acer laptop (normal one) left me with a bitter taste. Some of the components that were good quality and could be removed, were changed. Well, this would be another story. Now I don't know what to do. Everything worked normally, I had just disconnected it from the power to go to another room and when reconnected it, it just started doing this. No other signs were displaying the possibility of this issue appearing and the report when running the battery report shows issues just starting the 20th of March. The power efficiency shows quite some worrying errors. I've attached the files, if they are of any help.

Can someone give me some advice on this? I'm terribly afraid that if it is the motherboard... soon enough it will break down... though it works normally with no issues and I can do my daily work as long as it is not in 80% or does not require charging.. I still want to have it repaired.

Thank you in advance,

Edited the content to hide personal.
Acer-Samuel

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,767 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I would verify this:
    a) uninstall these drivers:

b) disable fast startup and turn off the notebook:

c) perform a battery reset:
    d) try placing a few layers of electrical tape over this button:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    Whatever the cause you need to return it for repair under warranty. Your Warranty is only void if you had a sticker on the back covering one of the screws saying “Warranty Void if removed”

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,767 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I would verify this:
    a) uninstall these drivers:

b) disable fast startup and turn off the notebook:

c) perform a battery reset:
    d) try placing a few layers of electrical tape over this button:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • EllyElenna
    Options
    Hi everyone, 
    Did all the above with uninstalling the battery drivers and the rest of tips, less the thing with the electrical button.  Any other tips?

There was no sigil removed nor stickers mentioning that "warranty is voided if removed" when i opened the case of the laptop, so it might be safe to send it at this point, in official service. Hopefully, it will really be repaired and be back in full power. 

Since commuting it on battery save, it has started to beep less than usually. But i'm still afraid of the errors that the system brought up. In any case. The thing i have yet to try was a different cable. Maybe the adaptor is at fault. But I need one with the same power. After trying this one as well. I think i will try my luck with the service.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you verified that the power interrupt button, next to ram, is installed on your computer? Some motherboard revisions do not have the button.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• EllyElenna
    Options
    Hi I am not sure if I have such a button. I don't remember seeing something like that. But I will check again. This is the button that needs to stay pressed in order to make contact, if I remember right, isn't it?
    Thank you~
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Yes my friend.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020
    Options
    EllyElenna Also just to add to what was already advised i suggest you to get either hwinfo or battery bar pro and check out battery wear percentage if its high that means your battery its faulty the cells are dead they do not hold the designed capacity and needs replacing.

Update after checking your battery report i can see your battery its faulty consider replacing it asap

BATTERY 1

NAME

PABAS0241231

MANUFACTURER

COMPAL

SERIAL NUMBER

CHEMISTRY

Li-I

DESIGN CAPACITY

48.944 mWh  <<---

FULL CHARGE CAPACITY

32.285 mWh  <<---

CYCLE COUNT

-

you shoulndt use your laptop on battery only neither gaming with it if need to use the battery only on emergency and really light works the battery main purpose on laptops its just a power pack to help the adapter with more power when this one cant provide enough to the cpu/gpu it was not designed in any way to game on battery only but only on AC at all times and the battery 100% charged before starting any game.

Here are the different battery part numbers you would need to get/pick one of these you can either contact acer support to find out the nearest acer parts partner also try to find it online somewhere or even contact @Kev0806 directly he is a acer parts partner and hopefully would have what you need but due to the current situation everywhere shipping may not be possible good luck :)

Here is an ex this is my battery after 2 years always on AC  24/7 non stop (only 11% wear)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• EllyElenna
    Options
    Hi @egydiocoelho I tried the thing with the button and now it gets disconnecting when reaching 94% or 96% which is an improvement I think. I do not know what to do else. I have reset the internal battery on more time. So it keeps going up to 94% and haven't had the suprise of seeing it turning off by itself when connected, anymore. 

@xapim I have tried everything on internet regarding Acer laptops. I will try the apps you have told me about. Is a good case scenario if it is only the battery. Regarding gaming without battery, that has never happened. I barely move my laptop from it's spot on the table. and even if I do, i'm not disconnecting it from power. i know the importance of the battery when using the laptop to full capacity. Usually i am having other development programs that are consuming a lot of resources from the laptop. 

I will let you guys know when I have more details. Also thank you :) at least it has improved a bit. 
    Thank you!
  • xapim
    edited March 2020
    Options
    EllyElenna as i said you ur battery its faulty the cells are dead check the post above i highlighted the designed capacity and the actual capacity you have now im sorry but you need to replace it asap

If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Acer support:

• EllyElenna
    Options
    That is how much the battery wear is. 
    Not sure if it is alarming or is fine.
  • EllyElenna
    Options
    @xapim
    As I said, is a good case scenario, rather than having the motherboard with issues. I know the battery cand destroy lots of things if it is faulty. So I do plan to change it this week. I want my laptop back to its efficiency. 
    Thank you
  • EllyElenna
    Options
    Hi @xapim
    Thank you :) I will go for changing it :) 

@egydiocoelho
    Thank you also :)
  • xapim
    Options
    Hi @xapim

@egydiocoelho
    Youre welcome always happy to help :)

Acer support:

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You are welcome.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• SiDMerceR7
    SiDMerceR7 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi @xapim

@egydiocoelho
    Hey so did changing it help? Suffering from a similar issue with my nitro 5.
  • EllyElenna
    Options
    Hi @SiDMerceR7
    Yes, it did help. I changed it myself. My laptop works like its brand new :D 
    So if you have a similar issue, you should check your battery life like I was advised, get the code of your battery (guess you'll have to open it) and buy a new one. 
    Hope it will also solve your issue. A very good point an IT guy gave me was that it is usually the battery, cause if the motherboard would be faulty, it would turn off your pc completely and the light that you have on the side from the motherboard would turn yellow/orange and blink. So we are lucky :D 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @EllyElennaYou can also check the battery partnumber, with the hwinfo64 program.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• SiDMerceR7
    SiDMerceR7 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi @SiDMerceR7
    So if you have a similar issue, you should check your battery life like I was advised, get the code of your battery (guess you'll have to open it) and buy a new one. 
    Hope it will also solve your issue. A very good point an IT guy gave me was that it is usually the battery, cause if the motherboard would be faulty, it would turn off your pc completely and the light that you have on the side from the motherboard would turn yellow/orange and blink. So we are lucky :D 
    Oh okay. I was kind of hoping to not spend 6000 inr (Indian currency) on this but it looks like no other option is there.
    Anyways, thank you for the reply and I will go and get it replaced.
  • EllyElenna
    Options
    Hi @SiDMerceR7
    Oh okay. I was kind of hoping to not spend 6000 inr (Indian currency) on this but it looks like no other option is there.
    Anyways, thank you for the reply and I will go and get it replaced.
    You are welcomed ☺️. Hope it will be less expensive than that 😳