What is the ideal maximum processor state?

DanE92
DanE92 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
First of all, sorry if this is a really stupid question. I'm not very experienced with computers. My laptop fan can be a bit loud and when I was looking up advice on that, I read about lowering the maximum processor state under the Power Options. Before I had it all on 100%, both on battery and plugged in. I have reduced to 90% and the fan is much more quiet now. This made me wonder how much of a difference this settiing could have. Like, if I run it on 100% all the time, does that affect the lifespan of the components itself since they would be working harder? Trying to determine where to leave my settings, simply.

The model is an Extensa EX2519.

Best Answer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,076 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    You can select the level to suit your work pattern, it can be between 90-99%, you can increase it to 91%, 92% and see how the system behaves, using 100% will not affect the lifespan of the components but if it can reduce the fan noise like in your case, you can reduce it to a desired level, it may reduce the speed of the CPU but in most cases it should be fine.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,076 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    You can select the level to suit your work pattern, it can be between 90-99%, you can increase it to 91%, 92% and see how the system behaves, using 100% will not affect the lifespan of the components but if it can reduce the fan noise like in your case, you can reduce it to a desired level, it may reduce the speed of the CPU but in most cases it should be fine.