Acer Aspire 3 A315-21-95KF RAM not running at full speed

bobcat418
bobcat418 Member Posts: 1 New User
Hello all! I have an Acer Aspire 3 which I use as a general purpose laptop (web browsing, light gaming, remote desktop, etc.) and I have noticed recently that the ram speed is reported as running at a lower speed than it is rated for. The memory is in its factory configuration, with a single stick of ram in the machine, a 2400mhz 2gb Hynix stick of memory with 4gb more of Micron ram soldered to the board for a total of 6gb of memory. I noticed recently in task manager that the ram was reported as running at 800mhz which seemed odd considering the stick was rated at 2400mhz. CPU Z reported the same information, so I decided to boot into a live linux USB and run "dmidecode --type 17"  to see if it was an issue with windows or something else. The ram speeds are reported at half since these are DDR (double data rate) dimms and I noticed that the speed is rated properly at 1200mhz (2400mhz actual speed), but for some reason there is a line called "configured memory speed" reading 800mhz (1600mhz is the real speed). This makes it seem like the ram is downclocked, however, I do not see any way to remedy this in the bios. I tried updating the bios as well since the laptop was running an older version but nothing changed. Is there anything that I can do to let the ram run at full speed or am I stuck with these lower ram speeds? Attached, you will find images from task manager and linux. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and kind regards

Answers

• Phil1943
    Phil1943 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Every new update from Windows 10 slows my Aspire E11 down to the level of a crippled snail. Now it's virtually unusable. Any suggestions before I bin it and get a Dell?
  • SnakeBite
    SnakeBite Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello, has anyone found helpful or corrective information for this problem? I have a relatively new Aspire A315-21-62U1 experiencing the same problem. ddr4 ram stuck at 800mhz single channel. information obtained using cpuz & task manager. A little more information I also have an Aspire A317-32 which displays the ram information correctly at 2400mhz dual channel.