Acer Aspire C22-865 asking for password

DexSlazenger
DexSlazenger Member Posts: 2 New User
edited April 12 in 2020 Archives
Hi, I have a slight twist to the system asking for a password…
I boot the system and it asks to select a HDD which it shows as locked, I press Enter because that the only HDD available and it asks for a user password, I press Enter and it loads to the windows login screen, I type in my pin and windows loads… 
So, I have a locked HDD with a blank password. All very odd!

How would it have gotten a HDD password and it be blank?

Comments

• Sjenest
    Sjenest Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Hi DexSlazenger,

Turn on the computer containing the hard drive you want to erase and type in the BIOS password when prompted. If you can't remember the password, try the backdoor passwords on the Password Crackers website (link in Resources). If you find a backdoor password that works, skip the following step.

Turn off the computer and disconnect it from power. Take off the case cover and remove the hard drive you want to erase from the computer. To remove it, disconnect the power and SATA cables and pull it out of its slot. If it is secured with screws, use a screwdriver to unscrew them. Install the hard drive in another computer and start up that computer.

Log in to your user account. Press "Windows key-R" to open the Run tool. Type "compmgmt.msc" into the text box and click "OK" to open the Computer Management utility. Click "Disk Management" under the "Storage" group in the left pane.

Right-click the partition on the hard drive you want to erase and select "Format" from the context menu. Follow the prompts and make sure the "Perform a quick format" option is deselected. It will take several minutes to erase and reformat the drive. After formatting, the drive can be used normally.

Hit LIKE if you accept. :)

Thanks,

Jenest.

• DexSlazenger
    DexSlazenger Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi sjenest, Don’t want to erase the drive and in any case I’m not sure that would fix what appears to be an ATA lock. All of the steps you mention I know how to do. What I can’t work out is how a HDD is locked with a blank password, not only that but the BIOS does not have a HDD/ATA password feature, only a supervisor and user password and the OS (Win10 Home) doesn’t have bit locker nor the hardware encryption option in Settings > Update and Security. 

I initially thought the user had been messing around and accidently/stupidly tried to encrypt the drive but after finding out the afore mentioned details it had me baffled.
    It’s a total mystery at the moment 
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good evening DexSlazenger !

It is not allowed to share any type of forum procedure regarding changes, modifications or passwords of any kind.
    In that case you should contact Acer support for your region.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Padgett2
    Padgett2 ACE Posts: 23 Pioneer
    I've seen the same thing. Think it just means the HDD can be locked, not that it is. Know some Seagates have/had that capability. I just ignore it