Puraw
Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,467 Trailblazer
Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers
Version: 26.20.100.7870 (Latest) Date: 2/19/2020
igfx_win10_100.7870.exe
My system: Windows 10 1909 Home x36 
Kaby Lake CPU
Comet lake mobo
Intel UHD graphics version 26.20.100.6911 (my present GPU driver)
Since Intel's GPU Control Panel was missing on my new laptop A515-54G-70AG (what else is missing or out of date?) I  got it from the Microsoft Store and found out that there is a much newer Intel Graphics DHC driver igfx_win10_100.7870.exe available for my mobo. When I tried to install that, with Intel's driver installer assistant, I got a message: use GPU drivers exclusively from the Acer driver support. Intel Audio drivers are bundled with this new DCH GPU package and I am hoping that the update will improve my audio quality as well. When will Acer driver support provide Intel DCH drivers?
Has anyone with the same Intel UHD driver that I have, tried to install the new DCH Intel GPU driver, and how?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,831 Trailblazer
    edited March 2020
    Like the rest of us, you should keep checking the ACER download page https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7982?b=1 for the latest ACER-specific updates. Generic Intel and Microsoft data are generally not good sources for this kind of info on proprietary mainboards even though the CPU & GPU chips might have the same Intel model numbers.  The Jan 21 2020 release date for your driver seems pretty new to me. Your UHD control panel should be accessible by right clicking on a blank desktop space and choosing graphics properties. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Puraw
    "Your UHD control panel should be accessible by right clicking on a blank desktop space and choosing graphics properties"

Nope it was not, just Nvidia PhysX and Windows' display properties (which probably is Intel's UHD GPU anyhow.) I had to download the Intel UHD control panel from the Microsoft Store; It gives me full control now over the main GPU on my laptop. I will wait for the newer Acer/Intel GPU driver which will have the latest Intel Display Audio driver 10.27.0.8 that I hope may improve my audio quality somewhat. Acer indeed dated my Intel GPU driver on the support site as 
    Jan 21 2020 but in my device manager it is listed as May 2019 (which is 10 months old!) confirmed by Intel's automatic driver update support apps.

I also found a newer Microsoft precision touchpad driver on the Microsoft driver update page (with the help from this forum) a later version than the Elan driver listed on Acer's support page that I have installed (no issues): I noted that most Acer driver dates on the Acer support page seem later than shown on my device manager maybe customized by Acer without changing the version numbers? All support pages (including Microsoft) advocate  to get always the latest drivers preferably from the PC provider but also advise to check Microsoft (for Windows OS) and device support for the latest drivers. Having said that I agree that info on proprietary mainboards should come from the provider, that's why I asked this forum if anyone has downloaded the new Intel DCH driver.

BTW I have IBIOS Version/Date Insyde Corp. V1.11, 01/08/2019 that came with my laptop, do you think I should upgrade to 1.12 or is it not worth it, I hate to touch/flash BIOS.
  • JackE
    >>>Nope it was not, just Nvidia>>>
           What pops up as installed if you just search 'intel' in the start menu?

>>> I hate to touch/flash BIOS.>>>
            Me too. I only update as a last resort to address a major issue, not an annoyance on a functional machine unless it specifically addresses the annoyance in its description.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Puraw
    I searched and searched my C:\ drive for weeks but no Intel UHD Control panel anywhere, I got a hint from @Dadi who told me he had that control panel in the Start menu under Intel (same new model laptop). So I went to the Intel Support page that provided the link to the Microsoft Store. It is my start menu now but not yet in the context menu blank desktop (working on that).

I really would like to get my UHD driver updated to the Windows DCH format not just for the Intel Audio driver, can you please ask Acer to provide this Intel UHD GPU update gfx_win10_100.7870.exe for my model?

I noted Bios 1.12 on this forum for the same laptop I have but with a SSD (that I don't have) but since I have no booting, device or any OS issues I will stick with 1.11: Many BIOS flashes resulted in BSOD or even useless PC's, reported on this and most other forums I visited.

• Puraw
    JackE said:
    Like the rest of us, you should keep checking the ACER download page https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7982?b=1 for the latest ACER-specific updates. Generic Intel and Microsoft data are generally not good sources for this kind of info on proprietary mainboards even though the CPU & GPU chips might have the same Intel model numbers.  The Jan 21 2020 release date for your driver seems pretty new to me. Your UHD control panel should be accessible by right clicking on a blank desktop space and choosing graphics properties. Jack E/NJ

HI
    I would like to update my W10 OS with feature 2004 but read on the web that my GPU drivers are not compatible!
    What I have is Intel UHD Graphics Driver version: 26.20.100.6911 DirectX 12, WDDM 2.6, by: Khronos Group Inc. v 2.2.10, Vulkan-1 and Microsoft Windows10 v 2004 requires WDDM 2.7 and DCH driver compliance. I just checked the Acer site you quoted above but there is still no update available for my GPU.

To prepare for the release of Windows 10 2004, Intel has released Intel Graphics - Windows 10 DCH Drivers  27.20.100.8187, which is WDDM 2.7 compliant and adds support for DirectX 12 Shader Model 6.5. W10 2004 require DCH drivers with WDDM 2.7

Any idea when Khronos/Acer will provide a compatible GPU driver for this Windows10 2004 update?
    Thanks 
  • JackE
    No. Just make sure SystemProtection is enabled in ControlPanel's 'restore point' app should the April update mess the drivers up. I'm not sure that it will despite whatever web sources claim it does. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RavenAZ
    RavenAZ Member Posts: 4 New User
    Why is Acer so slow to release approved Intel drivers? We shouldn't have to ask if we can download the Intel version. Acer should put out their drivers as soon as Intel does.

Installing this graphics driver from Intel may remove customizations from your computer manufacturer (OEM).

If a newer graphics driver is available from Acer, we recommend you install that driver instead. To learn more about installing an Intel driver on your OEM system, refer to this article.

Intel® Graphics – Windows* DCH Drivers

Description:
    This download installs the Intel® Graphics Driver for Xe Dedicated, 6th-12th Gen Intel® Core™ Processor Graphics, and related Intel Atom®, Pentium®, and Celeron® processors.
    Version:
    Release date:
    December 13, 2021
    Size:
    567.92 MB

• JackE
    >>>Why is Acer so slow to release approved Intel drivers? We shouldn't have to ask if we can download the Intel version. Acer should put out their drivers as soon as Intel does. >>>

The intel versions are generic drivers usually meant for generic mainboard designs that are having issues. Accordingly, they should not be used unless the latest available ACER OEM drivers are causing problems irrespective of their release dates.

Jack E/NJ