Cooling upgrade?

2»

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Is there any way to force outside air into the gaps between system and walls/desk? If you could point a fan in there to add a little airflow it might tell us if the issue is air flow restriction or poor thermal contact between CPU and cooler.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AtlCanadian
    AtlCanadian Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Is there any way to force outside air into the gaps between system and walls/desk? If you could point a fan in there to add a little airflow it might tell us if the issue is air flow restriction or poor thermal contact between CPU and cooler.

I'll see if I can grab a fan and put it on top and point down. On a side note, would a sufficient test be just pulling it forward? Does CPU fan run from the rear or the left side?

Also CPU fan speed sits at 1,000RPM max when GPU is 4000RPM. Is CPU fan normally this slow? It seems strange...
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer
    xapim said:
    AtlCanadian you can try to undervolt it and see how it goes but you probably need to repaste it with kryonaut or similar also if youre overclocking you cpu consider watercooling as it was already mentioned normal cooling fans wont work the cpu fan its on the cpu socket itself you can try to add more case fans but as i said if youre overclocking it will be useless and overclockable cpu would need watercooling to lower the temps down  (especially the intel cpus) i suggest that you take a look at custom builds and prob corsair watercooling solutions

Thank you for this. Re-paste would void warranty, right? Would adding case fans void warranty as well?

I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't void warranty. GPU temp is max 60c when gaming, which is perfect - just need to find a way to keep CPU down.

My desktop is also in a corner, when facing it - left side and back side is against wall (1in-2in max clearance) would this choke the air flow from CPU cooler / vent?
    Give your desktop as much crossflow ventilation as possible, putting it into a corner with only 1in-2in max clearance is not good as it needs as much crossflow ventilation and resticting it that way, will add to temps. Re-paste wil not void your warranty and adding case fans will not either. But, you have to be vigilant and re-paste with a good  paste like the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Thermal Paste and use the "pea method"  where you put a pea-sized amount of thermal paste on the CPU (in a desktop) and then install the heatsink over it. After this the thermal paste gets evenly spread on the processor with the pressure and temperature. Hope this helps.
  • AtlCanadian

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    xapim said:
    AtlCanadian you can try to undervolt it and see how it goes but you probably need to repaste it with kryonaut or similar also if youre overclocking you cpu consider watercooling as it was already mentioned normal cooling fans wont work the cpu fan its on the cpu socket itself you can try to add more case fans but as i said if youre overclocking it will be useless and overclockable cpu would need watercooling to lower the temps down  (especially the intel cpus) i suggest that you take a look at custom builds and prob corsair watercooling solutions

Thank you for this. Re-paste would void warranty, right? Would adding case fans void warranty as well?

I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't void warranty. GPU temp is max 60c when gaming, which is perfect - just need to find a way to keep CPU down.

My desktop is also in a corner, when facing it - left side and back side is against wall (1in-2in max clearance) would this choke the air flow from CPU cooler / vent?
    Give your desktop as much crossflow ventilation as possible, putting it into a corner with only 1in-2in max clearance is not good as it needs as much crossflow ventilation and resticting it that way, will add to temps. Re-paste wil not void your warranty and adding case fans will not either. But, you have to be vigilant and re-paste with a good  paste like the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Thermal Paste and use the "pea method"  where you put a pea-sized amount of thermal paste on the CPU (in a desktop) and then install the heatsink over it. After this the thermal paste gets evenly spread on the processor with the pressure and temperature. Hope this helps.

I am nervous about thermal paste. Is there somewhere I can get confirmation it won't void warranty? As for case fans, is Corsair products good? They have a few options and they're fairly priced.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer
    edited March 2020
    StevenGen said:
    xapim said:

I am nervous about thermal paste. Is there somewhere I can get confirmation it won't void warranty? As for case fans, is Corsair products good? They have a few options and they're fairly priced.

Its OK don't worry just repaste with the "pea method" and everything will be OK don't worry, ask Acer if you don't trust us! If they say NO, then, let Acer do it under warranty? But, they wont use the good paste and you will have the same problems.
  • AtlCanadian

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    StevenGen said:
    xapim said:

Its OK don't worry just repaste with the "pea method" and everything will be OK don't worry, ask Acer if you don't trust us! If they say NO, then, let Acer do it under warranty? But, they wont use the good paste and you will have the same problems.

It isn't that I don't trust you, just can't afford anything if it doesn't work and voids warranty.

Gaming now at GPU fan speed full with 85C... is this dangerous? Acer says its fine. I found a program Argus Monitor which let me run my CPU fan at full RPM and it kept it under 80c when gaming.

Will inquire with Acer about warranty, would just case fans be sufficient?
  • AtlCanadian

Tinkerer

Hey guys,

If I upgrade the CPU cooling to liquid - can the H80iV2 120MM fan/radiator kit fit in the rear to replace the rear fan?
  • AtlCanadian

Tinkerer

Hey guys,

Can't find official measurements but it looks like the rear case fan is 100mm - so that rules out upgrade for liquid cooling for CPU.

CPU temp hits 85c frequently while gaming, averages 70c or higher when idle or light usage.

Anyone know where official measurements are for the Acer Predator Orion 3000 rear case fan?

Anyone know a CPU heatsink upgrade recommendation to replace stock cooler? Will this make a significant enough impact?

Thanks!
  • Lancecaps
    Lancecaps Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey guys,

Can't find official measurements but it looks like the rear case fan is 100mm - so that rules out upgrade for liquid cooling for CPU.

CPU temp hits 85c frequently while gaming, averages 70c or higher when idle or light usage.

Anyone know where official measurements are for the Acer Predator Orion 3000 rear case fan?

Anyone know a CPU heatsink upgrade recommendation to replace stock cooler? Will this make a significant enough impact?

Thanks!
    Hey guys,

Thanks!
    Hey guys,

Thanks!
    PO3-600 can reach upto 92MM PWM 4pin
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    IIRC the fan mounts are correct for either an 80mm or 92mm fan...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.