Predator 3000 CPU temp hits 85-92C - is this normal? When in game.

AtlCanadian
AtlCanadian Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
Hey guys,

Have a Predator 3000 desktop. Without Fan Control set to GAMING, CPU TEMP hits 92c - with it on, it averages 85c. Is this normal? Seems high and concerning.

Comments

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Yes, this is normal. Thermal overload settings are for when CPU temp rises above 100°C and there are some slowdowns that kick in at (IIRC) 98°C. 85-92°C is optimal working temperature under a heavy load, such as gaming.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AtlCanadian
    AtlCanadian Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Yes, this is normal. Thermal overload settings are for when CPU temp rises above 100°C and there are some slowdowns that kick in at (IIRC) 98°C. 85-92°C is optimal working temperature under a heavy load, such as gaming.

So tonight just browsing this site (Firefox) CPU temp hit 70-80c while browsing, is this normal as well?

I heard the i7's run hot to begin with, just want to make sure everything is good.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Yeah, 70-80°C isn't out of line, it comes down to how hard the CPU is working, how hot your environment is and how well the fans are moving air around the heatsink. You can tune things better to get the temps down a bit, but it's not really needed until you see temps above 95°C or so...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.