Nitro VN7-571G Nvidia Graphics card not detected or shown in Device Manager. Nvidia GPU replaceable?

Options
2»

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    How did it go

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Foxxx2k
    Foxxx2k Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    I still need to do the final test but I think I did all the steps. Just to check:

1.) I disabled the Windows Updates

2.) In the registry editor I first named the new QWORD entry and made the 8 Hexidecimal change. Then I renamed it to that TrDelay (as in the notes) and saved it.

3.) Restarted laptop and then installed Nvidia Drivers and Geforce experience and limited the FPS to 120

Is that all correct that way?  Have you had a look at the pictures from the previous posts? (where you said you couldn't check because you weren't at your PC)

Regards,
    Foxxx2k
  • andylb
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Yep I had a look and everything looks good. Does your computer now recognize the card and is it usable

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Foxxx2k
    Options
    It does recognize it and it seems all fine. But I've had that before until I tried playing a game ... then after sometime I would get a BSOD and then after restarting the pc wouldn't recognize the graphics card. Hency why I need to test the GPU when being needed like when gaming
  • andylb
    Options
    Foxxx2k said:
    It does recognize it and it seems all fine. But I've had that before until I tried playing a game ... then after sometime I would get a BSOD and then after restarting the pc wouldn't recognize the graphics card. Hency why I need to test the GPU when being needed like when gaming
    Well it's a good start. Before running any games please do this

Go to the Nvidia control center and click Manage 3d settings tab, then click the Global Settings tab and change Preferred Graphics processor from Auto select to your Nvidia GPU, do this by clicking the downward arrow to the right of Auto Select and select the Nvidia GPU. Then under the Program Settings tab select the programs and games that you want to run on the Nvidia GPU. Do the same under the Set PhysX Configuration tab

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Foxxx2k
    Options
    Ok I've done what you had talked about in the last post. Will try it tomorrow as today is already quite late. Thanks again for your help though!
  • andylb
    Options
    OK let me know how it goes

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Foxxx2k
    Options
    Ok sadly upon testing it, it took 10 minutes of being in the main menu of a game and I got a BSOD. :( After restarting the laptop now only the internal GPU is recognized. So I am back to where I was before I started to try and fix  it :(

I believe it starts with the BIOS version no? (since I've only got BIOS version v1.14 (or so it would seem)

... so yeah ... now what? :/
  • andylb
    Options
    Sorry mate I'm out of ideas. BIOS v 1.14 is the latest version, V.17 refers to the version of KBC whatever that is

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Foxxx2k
    Options
    Hmm no problem. I appreciate all your help though.

So do you recon reinstalling Windows may help at all? :/ I guess I can reactive the Windows updates for now (if I don't reinstall windows) right?

Also do you recon the GPU may be faulty? Is there a way to test that? If so can it be removed eventhough it is soldered to the Motherboard? (and then replaced with the same model but obviously a new GPU?)

Regards,
    Foxxx2k
  • andylb
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Reinstalling Windows may help but if it doesn’t it looks like your GPU is bad. Unfortunately the cost if buing and having a Tech resolder the GPU be high even if it can be done. Some people have just bought an identical MOBO which would have  a GPU already installed. Frankly at this stage I’d be thinking about upgrading to a new laptop  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Foxxx2k
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Sorry for my late reply. The laptop now recognizes the GPU much more frequently and consistently but it sometimes crashes now (sometimes without BSOD sometimes with BSOD). If it crashes with BSOD then the graphics card won't be recognized afterwards. I have also noticed that keeping the resolution much lower decreases the load on the GPU (obviously) which prevents it from crashing. So it seems like the GPU has been heat damaged or sth like because only under heavier load (increased resolution) does it start giving me problems. playing at "glorious" 640x400 8:5 for example works fine but is obviously an eyesore on an 1950x1080 full hd screen ;)

I am definetly wanting to build a desktop PC but given the current global situation etc. it is not as easy to get hold of the parts at the right price so for now that will have to wait. :/

I just thought I'd leave this update for you here. I will still try to reinstall Windows and see if that solves it. Do you by any chance have a quick guide on hand how to do that (in terms of creating a windows usb etc.) and the steps to take during the reinstalling process? I would really appreciate that to have that on hand from someone who knows far more about pcs than I do (just in case).

Another question: I have two hard drives in my laptop: 1 x m.2 ssd (which is 500GB just one partition C drive where windows is installed on) and 1 x 1 TB HDD (partitions D and E). Can I leave all the files on the partitions D and E or do I also have to take the files off of those partitions due to reinstalling windows? I linked the desktop and my documents to be saved on partition D not as normal on C drive. Will that be a problem during reinstall?

Sorry I hope I made myself clear enough in my questions.

Kind regards,

Foxxx2k