Switching off Completely.

annkroy
annkroy Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
As a new owner of an Acer Chromebook, when I sign out and switch off, my chrome book opens up again as soon as I lift the lid. ready for me to enter my password again to sign back off. Does this mean that I am only putting my machine to sleep, and not shutting it down completely. Apologies if this seems a stupid question, but at the age of 77, I am trying to accept that technology is the way of the world, and I have to try to enter it. Thank you for any help offered.

Answers

• CoCo_1134
    CoCo_1134 Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited March 2020
    Hi @annkroy,

>>>When you click on time option you will get a option where you can see your name or your email. near that you will be able to see a option called sign out. 

>>>if you want to turn off the computer, press the power button that you see on the below picture.

Hit accept if its useful.

Edited the thread to hide sensitive information
    Acer-Samuel
  • annkroy

Thank you for your replies, they are gratefully accepted. I am doing as you suggest, but when i open up my book again, it automatically comes on, should it do that?
  • GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,315 Pathfinder
    annkroy said:

Thank you for your replies, they are gratefully accepted. I am doing as you suggest, but when i open up my book again, it automatically comes on, should it do that?
    May i know how you shutdown your chromebook 
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • CoCo_1134
    Hi @annkroy,

May i know the model name of your chromebook ? 
  • annkroy
    I have a CB 314. When I want to switch off,  I go  right hand corner, click on time, which opens a boxed menu, where i select sign off. I then go to the left  hand corner and select shut down, which it does, the screen goes blank, I then close the lid. when I next go to use my machine, when I lift the lid, it automatically signs on. I follow the instructions from asking on a forum.Should it do this? Thank you Gaming and CoCo for replying.
  • GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,315 Pathfinder
    annkroy said:
    I have a CB 314. When I want to switch off,  I go  right hand corner, click on time, which opens a boxed menu, where i select sign off. I then go to the left  hand corner and select shut down, which it does, the screen goes blank, I then close the lid. when I next go to use my machine, when I lift the lid, it automatically signs on. I follow the instructions from asking on a forum.Should it do this? Thank you Gaming and CoCo for replying.
    Since there are no power- and memory-intensive programs installed, the notebook should return to fully functioning order in as little as 10 seconds.

it's the only way to fully power down your system. 
    • At the bottom right, select the time. Select Power .
    • At the bottom right, select the time. Select Sign out and then Shut down.
    • Press and hold the Power key for 3 seconds.
    • Press and hold the Power button until you see a menu to Power off or Sign out. 
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • annkroy
    Thank you for your reply. I have already tried this option, and the machine switched itself on as soon as I opened the lid. Perhaps I was not patient enough, so I will try again.
  • CoCo_1134
    Image result for chromebook cb314 keyboard
    Hi @annkroy,
    In the first row to the extreme right you will see the power button { above the backspace key }. press and hold that power button until all lights goes off. And to turn on the computer press the same power button until the lights come on.
  • annkroy
    Have tried this, and also holding the power button for 3 seconds, then selecting power off, nothing works, as soon as the machine is opened up again, it automatically comes on. After "turning" if off last night, with a full battery, when I opened it up today, it came on, as I expected it would, and the battery was still showing full. So I will just run with it is as it is. Thank you for your advice.
  • CoCo_1134
    Hi @annkroy ,
    Sounds good. if in case you have any queries please post your queries and get them answered.

Hit accept if you find this helpful.
  • annkroy
    Thank you.