My Nitro 5 is overheating for low usage from last few days.

Options
dinesh9893
dinesh9893 Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
My 9 month Old Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-52) is working perfectly till 10 days ago and suddenly It's start overheating for no reasons with very low cpu usage like 10-20%. even running youtube would cause cpu temp to rise 96 degree with 10% cpu usage and it stay at 90 degree and even small games(Mobile games on emulator) causing cpu temp to rise and stay at 95 degrees with so much lag at only 35% cpu usage because of overheating. at this point I cant even think of playing medium graphic games.
Just 10 days before everything runs without overheating Like I used to play youtube videos of 4K 60fps and still temp stable at 60s n 70s and play same mobile game on emulator at it's max 60fps on high settings without lag with cpu temp at 70s.
and suddenly what happened I don't know and now any app or process cause cpu temp to jump 90 degree, Like play 720p movie in vlc player and cpu temp is 90-93 degree or open youtube 10 min video at 720p cause cpu temp to 90s degree. running any game is not possible without so much lag. and this overheating issue started 10 days ago.
I always use my laptop on AC power and when gaming always use fan speed at max 6122 rpm with coolboost on. 

So tried these solution already:
1. first I change thermal paste using Arctic MX-4 but no help temp still high, so I again change paste using Coolermaster MasterGel Pro but still temp in 90s degrees.
2. I already using colling pad of Coolermaster all time and bought new cooling pad with 4 fan of turbo speed and it's barely lower the temp 2 degree.
3. Tried to off Turboboost and temps got lower to 70s but every process running slow and my 60fps game drops to 40fps with heavy lag because my cpu stuck at base speed of 2.20 GHz so no help.
4. Tried some graphics setting changes and other changes suggested by forum moderator but no changes on temps.
5. And finally tried undervolting the cpu using Throttlestop with given profile (Throttlestop profile already tested on i5 8300H) and while gaming Emulator game(PUBG Mobile) temp stays at 70s and 80s degree but because of undervolting cpu speed set max at 3.39 GHz my game FPS drops almost 15-20 and stuck at 45fps and also lags frequently. A 60fps game running at 45fps with lag is like I playing on i3 processor with Intel graphics. Using Throttlestop temps got low but this much sacrifice of fps with lag is not worth it.

I'm using Throttlestop from last 7 days till yesterday I haven't start Throttlestop undervolting and just randomly closing apps/processes and after 10 seconds temps got stable at 60s even a youtube fullhd video is playing So test this more I started 4k 60fps video and still temps at 65-75 and finally I run same emulator games and games running smoothly at 60fps with temps 70-80 with no lag at all. 
at that time I didn't know what have I closed and this happens so I haven't shutdown/restart my laptop for like 14 hours straight just enjoyed those hours with no overheat.
But guess what today when I start and hoping no heating but no It again start overheating for no reasons same 90-97 degree for everything. And now I don't even remember which app/processes I closed to solve the issue so I tried again closing randoms processes again but no help.
please help me.

Answers

• K0de
    K0de Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Options
    you are pushing it.. but if its not over 95 sustainable your fine.. I recommend getting a compressed gas cleaning duster and cleaning out your vents.. you very well have clogged your fans with dust.. or... your factory thermal paste is dried up and in desperate need of new paste.. there is a tutorial video on youtube on how to properly repaste an acer nitro 5. 
    you should also download intel extreme tuning utility and undervolt your laptop.. youtube will also have a tutorial on how to use this.. just takes about a good solid 30min and you can adjust your laptop to run cooler.. I suggest starting at -115 undervolt and go lower over time.. I'm currently running -160.

so if I were to guess, your problem is dust and bad thermal paste..
  • K0de
    K0de Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Options
    seems like your thermal paste has dried up or you need to clean your dusty *** laptop...
    use compressed air duster to clean out your fans and vents.. also, go on yourtube and watch a video on respasting an aner nitro 5. see if your up to it or pay quite a bit at a computer store for them to do it.. you should also download "intel extreme tuning utility" and undervolt your cpu.. there will aslo be a tutorial on youtube for that as well..
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Uninstall Throttlestop completely, you are going to use it but in a different way. Now Undervolt using the custom made Throttlestop package that matches your CPU. These packages were designed by one of our dedicated gamers and they are well tasted, safe and very easy to install Click on the link below
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/577183/throttlestop-undervolt-profiles-pre-made/p1?new=1

Please click YES if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• dinesh9893
    dinesh9893 Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited March 2020
    Options
    andylb said:
    Uninstall Throttlestop completely, you are going to use it but in a different way. Now Undervolt using the custom made Throttlestop package that matches your CPU. These packages were designed by one of our dedicated gamers and they are well tasted, safe and very easy to install Click on the link below
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/577183/throttlestop-undervolt-profiles-pre-made/p1?new=1

Please click YES if I have answered your question

I'm using those same custom made Throttlestop package that you mentioned. which suggested by you only 10 days ago and since then I used custom Throttlestop, yes it lower the temp to 70s but also my game got laggy and sloppy and I also got frame drops. like previously Pubg Mobile game runs at 60fps and after undervolting it runs at 45-50fps. even my other laptop which has i3(6th gen) with Intel graphic can generate 48fps of this game. 
    and after undervolting cpu speed get max 3.39GHz. Can I increase  this speed ? And why a small mobile emulator game is struggling on an i5 8th gen processor at 3.39GHz. 

At this point I think I'm doing something wrong on process of turning off TurboBoost because when I'm on Balance power mode and I reduce Maximum Processor state to 99% it reduce temp to 90s to 70s. But when I'm  High-Performance mode and I 
    reduce Maximum Processor state to 99% no changes on temps, It still remains on 90s literally no changes. I reduced it to 90% and even 80% and still temps on 90s degrees. what am I doing wrong ?

can you tell me some other process of turning off the turbo boost on High-Performance mode because the simple technique of lowering Maximum Processor state to 99% is not working for me, I don't know why.

Literally every one suggesting first solution is re-pasting and it'll bring down temp to 10-15 degree and I've repasted twice but no change, I've done reapsting following a youtube tutorial and done very carefully. but still over heating.

Every other Nitro 5 user who faced overheating problems are playing big graphics games like GTA V and still after just repasting and turbo boost off they lower temp to 70-80s and here I'm playing a small 1.7GB mobile emulator game which is using only 20-25% cpu but getting cpu temp to 90-97 degree but my gpu temps remains at 40s.

I know you have vast knowledge of computer tech and provide solution to thousands users. so I have one more question in your experience, Is every other Nitro or Predator users who faced overheating issue is suddenly start at one day for no reason like me or some have overheating from start or some got overheating because of some particular games.
  • vix4
    vix4 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I just bought mine, and I have exactly the same issue, did you manage to solve the problem ??