Where are the Nitro 5 keyboard back light settings?

Options
System
System Member Posts: 4,529 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
This discussion was created from comments split from: Where are the Nitro 5 keyboard back light settings?.

Comments

• Jeve_Stobs
    Jeve_Stobs Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    I cannot find any settings or function keys that work. Any solutions found yet?  I would really like to have my keyboard light on when plugged in, not using battery.  Otherwise need to fumble in the dark to turn on every 30 seconds, which is annoying.  I bought my Spin 5 and love it, except for this.  Please help...thanks in advance!
    You guys are going to be doing a face palm after you hear this solution. First, enter the BIOS. If you don't know how to do that you can find out here: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/access-bios-windows-10. Next, go to the Main section of the BIOS and use the bottom arrow key until you reach the setting that says "Keyboard Lighting Timeout". Press enter and then select the setting that says "Disable". Finally, head over the last menu at the top and select it and after you click enter is should have a bar that says "Exit and Save Changes". After you select it, your PC will restart and the Keyboard lighting will never time out again! This will work on ALL models. GO AHEAD AND SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON IF THE STOBS HELPED YOU TODAY!  =)
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @Jeve_StobsNot all models have this function in the bios. In addition, this function does not change the behavior of the keyboard light when using the notebook on battery power.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Jeve_Stobs

Tinkerer

Options
    @Jeve_StobsNot all models have this function in the bios. In addition, this function does not change the behavior of the keyboard light when using the notebook on battery power.
    I can assure you that it changes it for AC power as well
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Yes, this function is exclusive to change the duration of the backlit keyboard with AC power. However, with respect to the battery, the backlit keyboard will continue to shut down every 30 seconds.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Jeve_Stobs

Tinkerer

Options
    I have the Acer Nitor 5 and it stays on even with the battery.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I have the Acer Nitor 5 and it stays on even with the battery.

Then you have an anomaly because it is still designed to shut off on battery after 30 seconds and that is Official Acer specs. This will be the 1st time staying on when on battery has been reported and is unusual to say the least

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @Jeve_Stobs Can you provide the exact model and version of the bios? Example AN515-51-75KZ; BIOS 1.22

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Jeve_Stobs

Tinkerer

Options
    System Mode:l Nitro AN515-54
    BIOS Version/Date: Insyde Corp. V1.05, 5/31/2019

• andylb
    edited March 2020
    Options
    System Mode:l Nitro AN515-54
    BIOS Version/Date: Insyde Corp. V1.05, 5/31/2019

@Jeve_Stobs
    Now this gets even more curious because according to the support page for the AN515-54 there is not a BIOS update for Keyboard timeout for this model
    Also official post from Acer below confirms that a BIOS update for Keyboard Backlight Timeout is not available for the AN515-54. So you don't have an anomaly, you have a miracle :#

BIOS updates available for AN515-54

Official post by Acer on models that have the BIOS update

Acer-MannyAcer-MannyPosts: 2,866  Acer Crew
    January 27 12.49.238.2 Accepted Answer

Hi all,

Thank you for all the feedback provided on this matter, please keep in mind that the backlight automatically turning off 30 seconds after the last keystroke, is a power saving feature (mostly found in our newer models) as part of our effort to meet Energy Star7.0, Acer is unable to offer a support path to override or modify this feature if your model is not eligible for the following BIOS update:

A "Keyboard Lighting Timeout" function has been implemented for the following models only: 

Model

BIOS v.

Date

Download Link

Aspire T7000

2019/03/20

Download

Aspire A715-72G

2019/03/20

Download

Predator PH315-51

2019/03/20

Download

Aspire A717-72G

2019/03/20

Download

Nitro AN515-52

2019/03/20

Download

Nitro AN515-53

2019/03/20

Download

Predator PH317-52

2019/03/20

Download

Model

BIOS v.

Date

Download Link

Nitro AN515-42

2019/03/08

Download

Note: Please keep in mind that this implementation (Main tab) will allow users to Disable the "Keyboard Lighting Timeout" option to have the Keyboard Backlight on at all times when on AC power only if the unit is on battery power, it will work as intended (automatically turning off 30 seconds after the last keystroke). You can check periodically for any drivers, manuals and BIOS updates here: Drivers&Manual official page.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Jeve_Stobs

Tinkerer

Options
    This is very interesting... I will reach out to Acer and find out more information.

• andylb
    Options
    This is very interesting... I will reach out to Acer and find out more information.

I know, I am totally at a loss to explain it. I will also ask them through our own back channels

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It is really strange. Is the battery behaving as if it has an ac adapter connected and consuming more power? Is your battery by panasonic?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• robert129
    robert129 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I cannot find any settings or function keys that work. Any solutions found yet?  I would really like to have my keyboard light on when plugged in, not using battery.  Otherwise need to fumble in the dark to turn on every 30 seconds, which is annoying.  I bought my Spin 5 and love it, except for this.  Please help...thanks in advance!
    You guys are going to be doing a face palm after you hear this solution. First, enter the BIOS. If you don't know how to do that you can find out here: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/access-bios-windows-10. Next, go to the Main section of the BIOS and use the bottom arrow key until you reach the setting that says "Keyboard Lighting Timeout". Press enter and then select the setting that says "Disable". Finally, head over the last menu at the top and select it and after you click enter is should have a bar that says "Exit and Save Changes". After you select it, your PC will restart and the Keyboard lighting will never time out again! This will work on ALL models. GO AHEAD AND SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON IF THE STOBS HELPED YOU TODAY!  =)
    I slapped myself silly! Great Job!!
  • robert129
    robert129 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Note you can always turn off the backlight manually on the keyboard. After 4 hrs of research I found your post and thank you very much!

• Ppack68
    Ppack68 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    If you have the NitroSense software simply disable the 30 sec. cutoff in the settings.