Acer Predator Helios 300 double typing

MichalK
MichalK Member Posts: 1 New User
Hello,

I've got the problem with my Predator. Since I bought it it's randomly double typing letters. It's realy annoying. Never happened with external keyboard. Any ideas? I've been trying different solutions from internet and nothing realy helps.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Try uninstalling the KB drivers from  Device Manager. Exit without re-installing. Shutdown. Turn machine back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• heathervienna
    heathervienna Member Posts: 1 New User
    Definitely having this problem too. Tried all software fixes (including the one above), adjusting repeat delay, all of those, completely reinstalling the OS, nothing. Sending it in for repair, still had it after they replaced the keyboard. Had the laptop completely replaced for a new one, and this one does it too. What is happening? Is this a common problem with Predator models? I had to fix this comment four times before sending it, and this laptop was shipped to me yesterday. :(
  • JohnnyMustang
    JohnnyMustang Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    @heathervienna I bougght my Predator Helios 300 half a year ago and have been having the same issue as the OP... Did you manage to get your problem resolved? I tried all the solutions also and still am having the double typing stuff.. I will probably send it in for repairs.. Is there anything i should let the Service Rep know while they do the repairs?
  • zilibabwei
    zilibabwei Member Posts: 2 New User
    Has anyone made any headway on this? I have owneed my Predator Helios 300 for about a year but have only used it for VR and gaming. My old laptop just went kaput so I am using the PH300 for word processing now and am getting frustrated at the double lettering. Kinda stupid to own a nice powerhouse-y comp and not be able to just friggin type on it. Thanks, everyone!
  • JohnnyMustang
    edited October 2020
    Has anyone made any headway on this? I have owneed my Predator Helios 300 for about a year but have only used it for VR and gaming. My old laptop just went kaput so I am using the PH300 for word processing now and am getting frustrated at the double lettering. Kinda stupid to own a nice powerhouse-y comp and not be able to just friggin type on it. Thanks, everyone!

I sent my laptop in for repairs to fix the double typing issues... After 1 month  they were unable to do it.. According to them, they were unable to duplicate the problem...  I'm not sure why?  I still have it :\   It doesn't happen as often for me as it used to but it still is annoying to catch the double typos sometimes.. By default the bounce time and repeat delay keys settings in the registry are set to 0ms.  I set them manually to 500/1000 ms and thought that would fix the issue but still it doesn't seem like it did.  It could also be that I have the razer synapse software installed for my Naga mouse but i doubt that's the issue.... A friend suggest i download and install Linux and try to run it and see if the problem occurs in that OS.. I might just have to do that... But yeah.. I've been getting the double typos also and have no idea how to fix the issue.   Seems to be a problem that happens when the Laptop is kinda taxed/stressed in high intensive 3d apps
  • Flam3blazer
    Flam3blazer Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have the same problem too. So the customer care replaced the keyboard and I thought I won't face this problem again. But I still saw this issue and I thought it was maybe just my typing style. Atleast good to know that it's a common problem. I did try reinstalling windows too, that didn't help.
  • JohnnyMustang
    edited November 2020
    I just received my laptop back again from Acer after a 2nd attempt to fix this double type issue. This time around they have replaced the keyboard. Problem is.. I still have the issue! I am seriously questioning my sanity here. These guys are experts.. They are telling me they cannot dupliccate my problem. (-- There goes the c double typo again btw. They are saying they cannot duplicate my problem.. I can duplicate it in a matter of minutes of typing something.. I have adjusted my bouncce time keys in the registry multiple times before to no avail. I have received the laptop back with a new keyboard replaccement.. Problem is still there! 3 C double typos in this reply alone.. Double typos happen to c, l & z so far. With the whole Election of 2020 thing and on top of all this intermittent double type keyboard problems and having my laptop in and out of repair, i am seriously questioning my mental health here
  • JackE

Does an external KB behave the same way? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JohnnyMustang
    edited November 2020
    JackE said:

Does an external KB behave the same way? Jack E/NJ

I have not tried an external KB yet.. but i will tonight.. I doubt I'll have an issue with it though.  Also it's not a software issue.  The only thing I have installed on it is Secondlife 3D video game.  That's it. NO world of warcraft with it's gazillions of addons and no Razer Synapse software for my mouse.  Barebone Factory settings with 1 Game installed
  • JohnnyMustang
    Hi jack.. so the problem does not appear to be happening with an external keyboard.. I am in contact with an Acer representative from the Corporate dept.  As my last option and resort I suggest I make a video recording of these errors with the keyboard sound (microphone) enabled.  That's exactly what I did and that is what I am going to send this Acer Rep tomorrow.  According to Acer, they were unable to duplicate the problem.  It is HARRD to find.  Sometimes i can type 2-3 pages worth of text and not get a single double typo, whereas other times i get it often and it's making me question, whether I am hitting the keys at a certain angle that is causing the 2 key presses to register?  But sometimes they register on the first letter of the word i am typing!

I made multiple videos today which took me about 4 hours (rendering/uploading) using a software called Ezvid that I downloaded from the internet.. I will give u the links o the videos to my youtube page... Please take a look at them.  They have the microphone enabled so that you can hear the keystrokes, granted the sounds may be a little bit delayed.. I don't know. I am super frustrated.. I wrestled with this problem for days without end.  Had my laptop serviced twice. Once for 4 weeks, another time for 2.  Had the keyboard replaced.. Still Nada! 

4 videos all together.. The first one is 2 videos in one.. I don't know how to work this software that i downloaded.. but yeah.  TY

• JackE
    >>>Sometimes i can type 2-3 pages worth of text and not get a single double typo, whereas other times i get it often >>>

Does it happen In every wordsmithing app? For example, Word? Writer? Notepad? BasicText? email BodyText?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JohnnyMustang
    edited November 2020
    JackE said:
    >>>Sometimes i can type 2-3 pages worth of text and not get a single double typo, whereas other times i get it often >>>

Does it happen In every wordsmithing app? For example, Word? Writer? Notepad? BasicText? email BodyText?

Jack E/NJ

JackE. It happens everywhere...In video games, in browsers and in apps like wordpad.  I just documented it in wordpad because that's what I was asked to do to rule out any potential software conflicts?. I thought it would pass the Wordpad test and i would not get these errors there, but It happens in wordpad also. It's a Universal issue.  When i was writing up my YOUTUBE description of the videos.. It happend 5x in Firefox browser while editing the description of the 4 videos.. I didn't catch it with Ezvid software because i did not have it running at the time i was uploading/editing my youtube page..  These typos are ridiculously hard to catch..  But they are SOO ANNOYING.. I tried practically everything there is to know fixing this.. Now I just have to email it to the Corporate Tech team and see where we go from there.

I've had 3 other laptops i used in the past 20 years.  Cheap laptops just used for internet browsing and work. I never had an issue with any of my previous laptops keyboards.. Never had a double typo issue on any of them.  The first time I encountered the double type issue is with this Acer!
  • JackE
    Click on the search eyeglass icon. Enter language. Check edit language and keyboard options. Are they consistent? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JohnnyMustang
    This is what the settings are... This a practically factory setting recently restored OS. Only thing i have added to is is 3 Programs; Fraps, Ezvid and Secondlife. Everything else is brand spanking new... I dont even bother saving stuff to it because it most likely will get wiped.
  • zilibabwei
    zilibabwei Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited December 2022

Checking in again after like 2 years (wow! TWO years?) just to see if anyone has ANY idea how to fix this double lettering issue?

I have lived with it. I haven't had to do extensive typing on this laptop so its beeen tolerable, but that receently changed and its kinda drivingg me bonkers! <---- See! double "e"s and double "g"! Ugh, it's so annoying! (and every time it happens I think how much a paid for this bloody thing!)

Please someone find a way to fix this!? Pretty please!? It does seem to happen more when I am typing faster, but like others have said, the keystrokes are single and clean! I don't think its an issue with the "way" we are typing. Its a hardware or software issue.

Thanks!

• @zilibabwei You need to provide the exact notebook model. example an515-55-5789.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • theruck
    theruck Member Posts: 1 New User

its the (poor)Acer hardware. Happens on Predators and SF314 laptops too. The only way around it is to get a different brand laptop. Mine SF314 does it on E most feequently. either accept it or get a different laptop