compatable upgrade for Aspire M7720 Desktop with an ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card.

Options
VY1JA_Jay
VY1JA_Jay Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
I am a retiree with an Aspire M7720 Desktop which currently has an ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card. This computer was Vista then Window7 Pro and now is Windows 10 pro.  When it upgraded to W10 the graphics quality dropped.  I can not find a W10 driver for the card and want to replace the card with a new one which will fit in the Acer M7720 Desktop and work on Windows 10.  What is a good and yet inexpensive card for general computer work which will be compatble?

Best Answer

• VY1JA_Jay
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello, Billsey and All,
    The GT 710 works like a champ.  My computer is dual boot as W10 and W7.  All the software on both of the O/S versions work and with the bonus, that now the older games (specific example=King's Quest MOE) which did not work with the old video card now function in the W7 boot, AND The BSOD crashes I had been having with Pinnacle Studio 23 in the W10 boot are now gone.  The 7720 works like a totally different and better machine.    
    Bottom line ... for the Acer AM7720 Desktop, whether used in W7 pro or W10 pro O/S versions, the $65 Cdn was well spent on the GT 710 2GB unit.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Options
    The Aspire M7720 is old enough that it came standard with Windows 7, IIRC. That means the BIOS is not setup for UEFI booting. Some of the newest video cards require a UEFI boot, but not all of them. That will gradually change as time goes on and they cater less and less to older machines. In general the ability of the card to support the older BIOSes is determined by the card manufacturer, not by the chipset manufacturer. Unfortunately none of the manufacturers seem to think it's a good idea to list whether their cards support legacy BIOS or not. Typically the higher end manufacturers do support it and the cheap knock offs don't, even though they are using the same chipset. Do some Googling for other systems the age of yours to see where people have had success and buy from a vendor that has a decent return policy.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • VY1JA_Jay
    Options
    Billsey,
    Thanks for the reply.  The $65 CDN GT 710 2GB unit matches the socket, has 1GB more video RAM than the original card and is DirectX12 ready, for Windows 10. Its resolution is better than the monitor here in the office, so nothing better is needed.     One is now on order and if it works well, I will post the results here.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Options
    Great! Do let us know how well it works.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • VY1JA_Jay
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello, Billsey and All,
    The GT 710 works like a champ.  My computer is dual boot as W10 and W7.  All the software on both of the O/S versions work and with the bonus, that now the older games (specific example=King's Quest MOE) which did not work with the old video card now function in the W7 boot, AND The BSOD crashes I had been having with Pinnacle Studio 23 in the W10 boot are now gone.  The 7720 works like a totally different and better machine.    
    Bottom line ... for the Acer AM7720 Desktop, whether used in W7 pro or W10 pro O/S versions, the $65 Cdn was well spent on the GT 710 2GB unit.