Way-overheating on Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-52 ( i5 9th and gtx 1660ti)

Options
Cross1996
Cross1996 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Even in playing simple titles like dota 2, stranded deep, nba 2k11, i am getting cpu temperatures above 92 and gpu above 80. I have undervolted the cpu using Intel XTU by setting core voltage offset to -0.125. Earlier I didnt have this issue but suddenly this overheating problem has crept in. The nearest acer service center is too far for me so if somebody could help with some soft fixes before i go for repair under warranty. Product is only 6months old. The weird thing is that it cools down very very fast too. Like even when i minimized to take a screenshot, the gpu instantly cooled by 20 degrees.
Please help :)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    You can try to set the power plan to balanced mode to see if it still performs OK with lower temperatures. If still no joy, then the heat sinks likely need to be repasted by ACER service center. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Cross1996
    Options
    JackE said:
    You can try to set the power plan to balanced mode to see if it still performs OK with lower temperatures.
    No joy by switching to balanced and also limited cpu loading to 93% max. any other responses would be graciously accepted thanks :+1:
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> i am getting cpu temperatures above 92 >>>

Are you still seeing above 92*C in balanced mode? Predators normally run hotter than less powerful laptops with no ill effects. Usually anything below 94*C is acceptable. Are you seeing any indications of cpu/gpu throttling in high gaming loads? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Cross1996
    Options
    JackE said:
    Are you still seeing above 92*C in balanced mode?  
    Yes sir even after balanced mode and the weird thing is it happens on even very light titles like minecraft, raft, stranded deep, dota etc. I ran dishonored 2 on ultra setting and all 3 temps were above 90 in like 2 mins. And as soon as i minimized that window, it lowered right away to 60-70 range.
    JackE said:
    . Are you seeing any indications of cpu/gpu throttling in high gaming loads? Jack E/NJ  
    Checked with INTEL XTU, cpu is consistently throttling at 92. i dont knw how to check gpu throttling though.

NOTE: Even in idling and unplugged from battery the temperatures stay above 60.
  • JackE
    Options
    Shouln't be 60*C idling unplugged. Do you have any non-Microsoft antivirus running in the background? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Cross1996 have you optimized windows and tried to undervolt it even further check here ( but first set xtu to default settings and completely uninstall it after shutdown and boot into bios reset setup defaults and try TS)  if so you only option here its either repaste it yourself with kryonaut or similar if you can without voiding your warranty or contact acer and send it back to get it repasted the temps you have arent normal for any H300 2019 as they come pre undervolted on stock by -125 cpu shouldnt go above 85'ish max and gpu 70/75 im affraid your issue its the stock thermal paste probably too much or not properly applied

Also just want to add that win 10 1909 was implemented with a new feature on how windows will use the cpu cores so it will only use 2 cores on low load/works (making it boost at max turbo boost at all times) and all remaining cores are parked to be used only when needed this causes the idle temps to be much higher that normal you can thank microsoft for this (in my view) completely useless and again forced feature :p  thats why im still on 1809 and not moving

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Options
    CassieW said:
    In general, computer components like CPU,GPU and optical disc drive will generate great volume of heat. You can check these hardware to determine whether update them or not.
    In daily use, try cleaning up the dust on computer case regularly. Or, use a cooling pad to cool down the computer. Don't place it on a soft or uneven surface if you are using a laptop.
    For more detailed information about cooling down overheating computer, you can search it on google.

Well were talking about gaming laptops here which are basically desktop hardware performance stuck in a tiny chassis so this is not the average pc/laptop :) and windows updates and their very new useless features wont help either most of the times repasting its the only solution cooling pads in my view are useless for a better airflow the only thing needed to be done if in a flat surface its to lift the back 2/3 inches and thats it does exactly the same work as a cooling pad :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Jithesh
    Jithesh Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Options
    By looking at the screenshot, you are already running with max fan speed and probably with cool boost on. With this setting and the games you have mentioned, the temp you are seeing, is not normal. Get it serviced ASAP. It might need new thermal paste.
  • Cross1996
    Options
    Hi everyone, i really apologize for the late reply as i had been incognito due to the coronavirus pandemic worldwide. I read all your comments but I had put in a complaint to acer CS back in March 1st week and they visited home and serviced the laptop. The main issue was dust accumulation in outlet vents at the back and yes the stock pasting was inadequate. However, it worked perfectly fine for a month but again the same issue is kicking up. Now what can i do to mitigate this because if this keep happening after every month it would be cumbersome to create the complaint request again and again. Is it some inherent problem with this particular product or the whole series? Also, the repair guy was very naysaying in nature and pointed out that these "gaming" laptops need lot of regular servicing and it is not free under warranty, now i know he mustve been trying to amass some money for his self but i believe any issue with the system except accidental damage or improper usage comes under warranty right ? 
    Thanks for the a2a guys, really appreciate it.
  • JackE
    Options
    Try vacuuming the air intake ports, and blowing air into the air exhaust ports, to help eliminate dust & debris related issues. If ACER service used stock paste, it might have dried out again as it might not be as good as higher quality pastes like Kryonaut or ArcticMX4. If it was my machine, and vacuuming didn't help, I'd probably risk re-pasting the heatsink myself with the higher quality pastes. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ryoken096
    ryoken096 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    I got the same problem with same product right out of the box from the first day onwards, I bought it right before the covid lockdown started  and I'm stuck without any serivce for this problem. Im really disappointed with acer to have this problem with a brand new laptop.Cross1996 said:
    Hi everyone, i really apologize for the late reply as i had been incognito due to the coronavirus pandemic worldwide. I read all your comments but I had put in a complaint to acer CS back in March 1st week and they visited home and serviced the laptop. The main issue was dust accumulation in outlet vents at the back and yes the stock pasting was inadequate. However, it worked perfectly fine for a month but again the same issue is kicking up. Now what can i do to mitigate this because if this keep happening after every month it would be cumbersome to create the complaint request again and again. Is it some inherent problem with this particular product or the whole series? Also, the repair guy was very naysaying in nature and pointed out that these "gaming" laptops need lot of regular servicing and it is not free under warranty, now i know he mustve been trying to amass some money for his self but i believe any issue with the system except accidental damage or improper usage comes under warranty right ? 
    Thanks for the a2a guys, really appreciate it.

• ryoken096
    ryoken096 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Try vacuuming the air intake ports, and blowing air into the air exhaust ports, to help eliminate dust & debris related issues. If ACER service used stock paste, it might have dried out again as it might not be as good as higher quality pastes like Kryonaut or ArcticMX4. If it was my machine, and vacuuming didn't help, I'd probably risk re-pasting the heatsink myself with the higher quality pastes. Jack E/NJ
    Can I suggest the CS to apply the higher quality pastes when they go for repasting?
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes. But for my own machines, I only trust one person to actually use and apply higher quality materials. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• ArsenioB
    ArsenioB Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    guys any update on this? i have the same problem after windows update
  • ArsenioB
    ArsenioB Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    up. any admins out there who can help?

• JackE
    Options
    If SystemProtection was turned on in ControlPanel's restore point app, you can reverse the update and temporarily block it to a future update resolves the issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 2root2
    2root2 Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    i have the same problem , i was told it was normal , i thought i was the only one with the issues, in my case CPU temps go crazy high , but  gpu remains relatively normal.the bigger problem does any one of you face a spike in temps as soon as you switch  on AC power ??

• JackE
    Options
    >>> any one of you face a spike in temps as soon as you switch  on AC power ??>>>

Yes because performance mode only kicks in with full power to the CPU/GPU when the laptop is plugged in. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Monumonium47
    Monumonium47 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>> any one of you face a spike in temps as soon as you switch  on AC power ??>>>

Yes because performance mode only kicks in with full power to the CPU/GPU when the laptop is plugged in. Jack E/NJ
    Yes me. My spikes in temp are very high. Recently my laptop at started overheating while charging, but not as hot when not charging. GPU temps go upto 80 degrees C even though I'm just browsing and not doing any intensive task. CPU also goes upto 90 degrees C, but im not doing anything on the laptop. I have to put it on max fans and coolboost all the time when plugged in. 
  • JackE
    Options
     Check task manager for any programs or apps, like virus scanners, that may be running in the background consuming a lot of CPU/GPU resources. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ