SF114-32 Swift 1 Microphone volume level is very low (but Skype volume level is fine)

PithyProlix
PithyProlix Member Posts: 48 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
A few days ago everything was fine ...

In the Sound settings "Test your microphone" barely registers any sound. Weird thing is that microphone input is fine.

I've uninstalled the driver and device, downloaded the appropriate Realtek driver from the Acer support site for my computer, and installed it. Still isn't working right.

Help, anyone, please?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,836 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Have you tried to tuneup the audio startup background & manager using the ACER Care Center yet? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Uninstall it again from Device Manager. Then exit Device Manager without re-installing anything. Shutdown. Turn machine back on. Test it again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PithyProlix
    JackE said:
    Uninstall it again from Device Manager. Then exit Device Manager without re-installing anything. Shutdown. Turn machine back on. Test it again. Jack E/NJ
    Thanks for the response. I tried your suggestion and there is no difference.

(Why was the previous response and my reply to it deleted?)
  • JackE
    Open ControlPanel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. Is System Protection turned on in the box that pops up? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PithyProlix
    JackE said:
    Open ControlPanel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. Is System Protection turned on in the box that pops up? Jack E/NJ
    Unfortunately System Protection was not turned on.
  • JackE
    Can you find Skype audio settings to make sure they aren't set to control them instead of Windows? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PithyProlix
    Hmm, now Skype Audio settings does not detect a microphone ("No device found.") When I go to the Sound settings, Recording tab in Control Panel there are definitely two microphone devices there - "Microphone Array Realtek(R) Audio" and "Stereo Mix Realtek(R) Audio" - both enabled with Microphone Array as the default device.

Thank you for your continuing help.
  • PithyProlix
    I am not sure why but there is another thread with my same posting. Here's some additional info I posted there:

I also set the level to 100, set the Microphone Boost to +30.0 dB, and unchecked 'Enable audio enhancements' for both Microphone Array and Stereo Mix and it seems to make no difference. Note also there is no difference between an internal microphone and a headset plugged into the side jack.
  • JackE
    Try disabling sound effects & exclusive modes. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PithyProlix
    I assume you mean audio enhancements, right? Regardless, audio enhancements and exclusive modes are disabled. No change.
  • JackE
    What does DeviceManager look like now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PithyProlix

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Have you tried to tuneup the audio startup background & manager using the ACER Care Center yet? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PithyProlix
    JackE said:

That fixed it! I would have never guessed ...

Thanks so much for your help!
  • JackE
    Congrats. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PithyProlix
    ... and now, unfortunately, it is back to the way it was before.

I ran the Acer Care Center startup optimizer and it did nothing this time. This is very strange.
  • JackE
    >>>Unfortunately System Protection was not turned on.>>>

Did you happen to make sure system protection was turned on this time around in ControlPanel's restore point app? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ