New To Acer Some Upgrade Questions

MikeCoolGuy17
MikeCoolGuy17 Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
Hi everyone new to the forum. I'm getting a new acer Predator desktop Model Number PO3-600-UD14. I wanted to know my upgrade options 
1. Cpu Can I upgrade from a 8th gen i7 to a 9th gen? or higher 8th gen?
2. Can I do any sort of liquid cooling for the cpu? or better fan to keep temps down?
3. Memory I know i can do up to 64 GBs. I saw that on the site.
4. Graphics card? I know it has a RTX 2060 Not sure if something higher is better or can work. I know it has a 500Watt power supply.  

This is just a start Thank you so much for taking the time to read this really looking forward to becoming a part of the acer family. Also any other suggestions I'll be gladly hear. Thanks everyone who chimes in.

Answers

• 1) On the processor, can you check which is the chipset with the cpuz? I also found this information, but I think the compatibility depends on the version of the bios;
    2) Many users recommend applying the grizzly kryonaut thermal paste;
    3) About ram, see this:

4) About the video card, see this. However, you may need to check the power of the power supply.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MikeCoolGuy17

Tinkerer

My chipset is the 8th gen i7 8700 and i'm guessing 500 watt isn't enough? anything about liquid cooling Id just like to know all my options. Thanks for the help so far.
  • About the chipset, I would like to know if it is the b360. About the rtx2070 video card, see this: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2070/

I don't have much experience with liquid cooling.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • My chipset is the 8th gen i7 8700 and i'm guessing 500 watt isn't enough? anything about liquid cooling Id just like to know all my options. Thanks for the help so far.
    Hi,
    I think you can upgrade to a i7-9700.
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Predator-PO3-600/94846
  • MikeCoolGuy17

Tinkerer

egydiocoelho I'm not sure if i understand you. Can i use a 2070 RTX? And i'm sorry new to the desktop upgrade game.  brummyfan2 would the 17 9700 be worth the upgrade? I;m guessing I can't use the new 9th gen intel processors. Thanks for all the help so far. 
  • MikeCoolGuy17

Tinkerer

Sorry the benchmark page is a little confusing for me as these arent the same model of desktop I'm getting.
  • What is the version of the bios? I think the processor update depends on the version of the bios. Regarding the rtx2070 video card, I think it will work, but you should replace the power supply

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MikeCoolGuy17

Tinkerer

I dont have the computer yet. so a 500 watt one can't handle the card? It has a 2060 with 500 watt power supply as soon as i get it i'll check the bios. thanks for the help so far. Was hoping someone with the same computer would chime in.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,881 Trailblazer
    edited February 2020
    I suggest the following as allot of what you want to do is a waist of money:
    1. The CPU upgrade (see here for compatibility http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i7/i7-8700.html) where the 9th gen is not recommended as its upgrade probability is 0%. Note: the "CPU Upgrade" site is a specific and tested site and their recommendations are very credible. 
    2. Liquid Cooling is possible and very easy, there are quite a few LC's that will work well with your system. I would use an external LC option.
    3.RAM is upgradable to the max speed and capacity that the mobo can take and recommended capacity, cant go any higher!
    4. The OEM RTX 2060 is a GPU Cores: 2,176 | Base Clock: 1,470MHz | Boost Clock: 1,650MHz | GFLOPS: 7,181 | Memory: 8GB GDDR6 | Memory Clock: 14 GT/s | Memory Bandwidth: 448GB/s (which is the best graphics card for 1440p and 144hz FHD performance) 
    5. If you want to upgrade to the top end GPU, prepare to spend over USD $1500 for example the RTX 2080Ti with GPU Cores: 4,352 | Base  Clock: 1,350MHz | Boost Clock: 1,545MHz | GFLOPS: 13,448 | Memory: 11GB GDDR6 | Memory Clock: 14 GT/s | Memory Bandwidth: 616GB/s 

Note: In my opinion and if you want a top gaming system, you would be better off to build a top end gaming system from scratch e.g. mainboard, cpu, gpu, ram, ps etc and not waste money on an existing system that has limited upgradability! 
  • MikeCoolGuy17

Tinkerer

StevenGen Thank you for all that info. Helped me a lot seems as I'll do little upgrades I don't need anything that powerful. I just wanted to play some xbox games on the system like forza horizon 4 etc. So looking at the site for the cpu seems like the 8700 is still a good processor? Maybe you can help me with some good lc kits? I know some go on top of the processor? I'm going to do 32GBs of ram overkill but i have that already. as for the graphics card. Not worth putting an upgraded RTX 2070 in then? AGain thanks so much your making it a little easier on me now. any more advice/tips will be great!!