Broken power button circuitry on my Acer Aspire 5750-6866 - replacement and/or bypass?

Options
JonnyManz
JonnyManz Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi there, Acer community,
When trying to take the cover off of my Aspire in order to disconnect the malfunctioning keyboard, I accidentally broke the power button circuit away from the ribbon. I tried to fix it using electrical tape, but the pins were too bent to connect properly (at least, with my dexterity level). I thus have two questions:
  1. Where might I find a replacement part for that? I tried looking online but don’t know where to find it. Ultimately the goal is to get that replaced so I don’t have to worry about it - whether that means taking it into a repair shop and having it installed professionally or doing it myself (and so obviously I would need the price point for the part for comparison) - at least, if the price is reasonable (I.e. would be cheaper than getting a new laptop - otherwise I’d just want to start it up so I could back up all my files for transfer).
  2. Until that part arrives and is installed, is there a way to bypass the power button and turn on my laptop? I read something about disconnecting the ribbon, and then sticking a small pin or paper clip (or something like that) into the area where the ribbon normally goes, thereby completing the circuit or something along those lines. I want to know if that will work, or if it risks further damage, before I try it - because I’ve already been burned by jumping in head first without really knowing what I was doing (case in point, this whole power button fiasco).
I have included a photo of the part, as well as the damage (I am reasonably sure that that is the only serious hardware problem with the laptop).

Looking at that photo, do you think it might be advisable to try and shear some of the insulation away from the pins so there’s more of a connection area for me to try and tape together, or would that cause more harm than good? Bear in mind, I have little experience with wiring like that, and am not very dexterous.

Best Answer

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited February 2020
    Options
    are you referring to the ribbon with the blue ink and green sticker? Is the Power Button circuit the problem or just the ribbon. Under no circumstances try and jump it with a paperclip or anything else

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Here is the part with the part number for your model and you can order from one of the USA Acer parts partners in the link below. Meanwhile under no circumstances try and jump it with a paperclip or anything else
    Please click YES if I have answered your question

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5969#_ga=2.96961820.282444590.1570818291-218381942.1567545004

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• JonnyManz
    Options
    Yeah, the ribbon with the blue ink and green sticker, as well as the circuit board - it’s not super apparent with that image, I suppose, but if you look under the ribbon, there are the 8 pins that the ribbon is supposed to be attached to; and look at the left of the ribbon, it should be a little more obvious there since the broken connections sticking out of the ribbon don’t overlap with the pins. That’s the part that’s damaged.

I’m looking for the circuit board part with ribbon attached, since I doubt it could be soldered back together - at least, with my skill level (or even if it could, it would be more efficient to just get a new one, probably). So, I suppose I would say both are the problem - they both need replacement since I think they’re supposed to be one part. Obviously, I see the part number, but I don’t know the manufacturer (since it says Tripod is the vendor)

Good thing I asked about that hack, then! Is there anyway you know of that I can bypass the power button so I can turn the power on, get my files backed up (at the very least)?
  • andylb
    edited February 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Here is the part with the part number for your model and you can order from one of the USA Acer parts partners in the link below. Meanwhile under no circumstances try and jump it with a paperclip or anything else, sorry mate I can't recommend any hack.
    Please click YES if I have answered your question

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5969#_ga=2.96961820.282444590.1570818291-218381942.1567545004

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• JonnyManz
    Options
    Thank you very much!