My Aspire 5 A515-54 headphones stopped working

KatieMad
KatieMad Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited February 2020 in Aspire Laptops
Hi there, 
Today out of nowhere my headphones plugged in, I got the usual 'which device have you plugged in', clicked 'Headphones' and 'OK' but the sound kept coming out of the speakers. I swapped with a different pair of headphones & that didn't help. I checked both pairs of headphones in other devices & they are working fine. Is anyone else experiencing this? I can't get my headphones to work.

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hi!!

@KatieMad  

To fix this headphone - audio issue, try enabling your Playback device by following the below steps:- 

1) Make sure your headphone is connected to your PC.

2) Right-click the speaker icon  in the notification area of your taskbar. Then click Sounds.

3) On the Playback tab, if you cannot see your headphone listed, right-click a blank area and select Show Disabled Devices. Then your device should show up.

4) Right-click your headphone and select Enabled.

5) Click OK to save the changes.

Once complete, check to see if your headphone problem goes away. Please post back the results. 

:) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,529 Pathfinder
    On my new laptop model 515-54G-70AG the headphone jack connection does not show up anywhere (also not in device manager, only my BT headset), the only way to turn a cable headphone of/on is with the Realtek Audio Console apps installed by Acer (check Start menu under R). If the option is greyed out like on the picture below there is nothing connected to the audio jack and in that case you may have a hardware problem if your headphone is plugged in. On my laptop the speakers are disabled when I insert the correct stereo headphone plug but in Windows Sound (settings) only the speakers are always shown. In Realtek Audio Console (can only be run from the start menu, not from Sound) I can choose the output (speakers or headphone). Realtek's drivers update are messy, Console cannot be installed (Windows apps) and maybe when you updated your audio drivers Realtek Audio Console is no longer working?

• KatieMad

Tinkerer

Hi Balatekie & Purse, thank you ever so much for trying to help me. I appreciate it, however, the headphones just aren't showing up at all in the Sound box when I right click on the speaker icon and select the Playback tab. Weirdly, the Connector Retaking is showing that it recognises when the headphones are plugged in, by going dark grey when I plug them in and back to lighter grey when I remove them, but the sound is still coming​ out of the speakers even when I have the headphones plugged in. So at present I can't fix this. Any advice? I think perhaps Puraw is right about the update messing with the way Realtek works - is there an alternative update that could fix or reverse this? I didn't drop the laptop or anything so I'm hoping it's not the jack input itself that's faulty. Like I say, the headphones are recognised as being plugged in, the sound just keeps coming out of the speakers instead. Thanks, Katie
  • KatieMad

Tinkerer

Sorry Puraw, my stoopid autocorrect changed your name, I'm sorry about that! Katie
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,529 Pathfinder
    KatieMad said:
    Sorry Puraw, my stoopid autocorrect changed your name, I'm sorry about that! Katie
    I just saw your reply today (April 12) and assume you got it solved now. Realtek Audio Console is in control of the "analog" sound output (headset, external speakers), not Windows! If output (Device advanced) setting) in RTK Audio Console does not show your headphone (greyed out) I recommend you try your headphone plug on another machine (TV, CD player) to see if there is a hardware issue, if plug tested OK download RTK A. Console from Acer's driver support, uninstall and delete your present RTK A. Console, unzip Audio Console_Realtek_1.3.179.0_W10x64_A.zip and click on 67446508444443f58a732eb89a2b31d4.appxbundle that will install the app. You should see this if all goes well (I am using external speakers here):

• Hilbert
    Hilbert Member Posts: 3 New User
    The only fix is reboot or connect before you start computer.
  • JOCKKKK
    JOCKKKK Member Posts: 1 New User
    Tried all the above fixes still no joy. Must be the jack socket is faulty. Thanks 
  • rohann_srs
    rohann_srs Member Posts: 1 New User
     the problem of my laptop is when i try to watch movies online or listen music from web with my headphone plugged in..it  doesnot give a proper sound of the background musics ..only the first voice can be heard but not clearly though.. But the saved audios can be listened clearly..