Need help getting NVMe SSD to boot on Aspire TC-965-UR14

Options
BCMD
BCMD Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited February 2020 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
I recently bought an Aspire TC-965-UR14 with 9th Gen Core I5 and wanted to install an  NVMe SSD as my boot drive. I have tried unsuccessfully with both a Crucial P1 and a Samsung 970 M.2 NVMe SSD's.
I have tried to install each brand of SSD.   The computer seed the SSD's in both the bios and Windows Disk Management.
I cloned them both with no errors and when I boot from the HDD, I can see the SSD's as secondary drives with all the cloned Windows files on the SSD's.   
I updated the Bios to the latest version. Did not help.
When I disconnect the SATA cable to the HDD and try to boot from the SSD, Windows fails to load.
I am thinking I am missing a setting in the Bios. I have looked at all the thread about bios settings for NVMe drives.
Here is how I have the Bios settings.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Here is what happens when I try to boot from the SSD.

Edited the content to hide sensitive information
Acer-Samuel

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Try changing the SATA mode, go to Advanced tab in BIOS, click "RST with Optane" and switch to AHCI and see whether it helps.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    Also show us a screen shot of Disk Management showing both drives. I suspect the partitions have been tweaked a bit in size to make them fit, and that often breaks UEFI.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BCMD

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello brummyfan2. I did that in the Bios but it did not help.
    Any other suggestions are appreciated.
    At this point, I am thinking of just doing a fresh install using a recovery USB on the SSD rather than doing the cloning of the original HDD.

• BCMD

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi Billsey,
    Here is what the Disk Management looks like.
    Yes, the original HDD is 1TB and the NVMe SSD is 500 GB. The cloning says it worked when it ran (both Crucial Acronis and Samsung Magician) on 2 different SSD's.
    Do you think this is a cause of the booting problem?

• brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi @BCMD,
     I would also suggest you to post the Disk management as @billsey have said, showing both drives.
  • BCMD

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello @billsey
    Here is what the Disk Management looks like.
    Yes, the original HDD is 1TB and the NVMe SSD is 500 GB. The cloning says it worked when it ran (both Crucial Acronis and Samsung Magician) on 2 different SSD's.
    Do you think this is a cause of the booting problem?

• BCMD

Tinkerer

Options
    @billsey and @brummyfan2
    I noticed it says the SSD is offline and when I hover over the "i"  it says there is a signature collision with another disk that is online.
    I don't think that should matter because I would have disconnected the SATA cable to the HDD when trying to boot from the SSD.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,119 Trailblazer
    edited February 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    Right click Disk1 and see whether you have an option "Online", if you have click Online and see whether it boots with the M.2 SSD, if that doesn't help, download and install Minitool Partition wizard free program, use Migrate feature to transfer the contents of 1TB drive to M.2 SSD, then change the boot order in BIOS to make M.2 SSD as the first boot device.
    https://www.minitool.com/partition-manager/partition-wizard-home.html
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/migrate-os-to-ssd-hd.html
  • billsey
    Options
    It looks like the cloning software might have cloned more than needed. The two drives should have different signatures. You should be able to boot from the SSD by simply disconnecting the HDD first. Give that a try one more time and let us know.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BCMD

Tinkerer

Options
    @brummyfan2 and @billsey
    Thank you both for your suggestions.  I did the clone on the Samsung NVMe SSD using the minitool utility and it worked. I have no idea why the Samsung Wizard cloning did not work but the Minitool did the job. Thank you both for all of your suggestions.
    Your assistance is much appreciated!!!!
  • BD2019
    BD2019 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options

Hello @BCMD and @billsey,

I have a TC-895 that came with 1 TB HDD. I recently bought ADATA (XPG GAMMIX S70 blade) nvme m2 1TB. data. I encountered exactly same issue as BCMD. it detected in BIOS properties but does not shows on boot priority order. Although I can see it on my Disk Management and I can use it as a 2nd partition.

I tried Macrium Reflect to clone the drive and it seems cloned identical but doesn't boot from M2 drive. I tried unplugged my HDD and bootmanager is missing from BIOS and didn't boot from my cloned M2 SSD. I tried other cloning tool and it seems Minitool partition wizard no longer free to do the cloning task. ADATA has a tool named SSD toolbox to do the cloning task for their SSD but that doesn't seems to be working.

In BIOS onboard SATA Mode is set to = Intel RST Premium, changing it to AHCI stopped booting from windows.

Hard disk drive priority shows only windows Boot manager and no other drive? why my M2 drive doesn't shows on boot?

is ADATA XPG m2 drive doesn't support for Acer TC-895 for cloning?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• BD2019
    BD2019 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options

Hello @billsey and all

I spent 2 days to detect my newly installed ADATA (XPG GAMMIX S70 blade) nvme m2 1TB, by no means I am able to detect it on BIOS. on F12 mode it shows my HDD and all other USB drive but not M2 nvme drive, I even updated my BIOS firmware but no luck. I tried CloneZilla it doesn't detect my M2 drive also Boot with Ubuntu USB disk. even Ubuntu doesn't detect my NVME drive or I easily clone my HDD drive to my M2 PCi drive.

Only way I succeeded is unplug my HDD from Motherboard and freshly installed Windows using my startup recovery USB key as factory default windows installation, then connecting my HDD allow me to boot from both drive. Windows manager boots from M2 drive and manually I can select to boot from HDD drive.

Is there anything I'm missing to change in the BIOS to be detected my NVME drive to be visible in Boot mode?

Many thanks if anyone have a solution

• billsey
    Options

Likely it's not configured in the Intel RST software, since you are set to start in iRST mode in the BIOS. When the cloning was complete there should have been the same partitions on the SSD as on the HDD, with only the system drive potentially changing in size. If that is all set correctly then the F12 boot menu should list both drives as bootable.