Aspire TC605 HDD to SSD upgrade issues

Thingummyjig
Thingummyjig Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
I'm trying to upgrade my Acer TC-605 desktop from the original Western Digital 1 TB HDD to a new Western Digital Blue 500 GB SSD, with the idea of adding the old drive back in (wiped) as data storage.  I cloned to the new drive using Acronis True Image (Western Digital Edition), using the recommended (according to the manual) approach of backing up to an external drive and then "recovering" to the SSD after swapping out the old disk for the new one.  I included the restore partitions etc.  Size was not an issue as the old drive had a "D" partition which was data alone occupying half of the drive, and which I did not clone but backed up elsewhere.  As per the manual, I also cloned the MBR and Track 0, but not the disk signature.

Partitions inluded were:
- Recovery (NTFS, 400 mb, basic GPT)
- ESP (FAT32, 300 mb, basic GPT)
- C (475 GB NTFS, basic GPT)
- Push Button Reset (NTFS 21 gb, basic GPT)

However, after initial apparent success and a blistering-fast startup, I cannot restart.  Restart mainly just gets stuck on the Bios screen (and pressing Del to enter setup says it is "entering setup", but just sticks there), and it won't even restart to the Acronis rescue USB (despite that being first in the boot order).  So far, so bad.

Oddly, though, when I swap the drives again, I can boot into Windows.  But then I can't restart without swapping the drives again!  This works in both directions (swap HDD swap to SSD or SSD swap to HDD), but is less reliable when going back to HDD (mainly it wants to re-add the keyboard layout, then do a repair first, then it sometimes boots).

It does not appear to be a connection issue, as it is independent on power connector, data connector or SATA port used.  I would try wiping the SSD (on an external enclosure) and doing a clean install of Win10 from recovery media, but given that I can't start one disk without previously doing a swap from the other, I don't want to risk bricking the whole thing if for some reason it goes wrong and the computer still won't recognise it correctly afterwards.

Any help greatly appreciated - but please, tuned for non-expert!

Specs:
Acer Aspire TC-605
Win10 Home version 1809, build 17763-1039
Core i5-4460 @ 3.2 GHz
16 GB Ram
Original HDD: WD10EZEX-21M2NA0
New SSD: WDS500G2B0A-00SM50  

Answers