USB Recovery stick for Acer Revo 70

Jim86301
Jim86301 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
I have an Acer Revo 70 (with Windows 8) that refuses to complete a "Reset"; it hangs after about 3 hours of trying; it ends with the "There is a problem resetting your PC" message. I can’t complete the Reset nor get back into Windows 8. There are no “restore points” or “system image” files on this computer.  Where can I obtain a USB Recovery stick so that I can reinstall Windows on this machine?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Sweet! I thought that might get you up and running again. Be aware that MS will be dropping support for W8.1 within the 2-4 years (IIRC), so you'll want to plan an upgrade for that time frame. W8.1 was a nice OS, but W10 is nicer and always getting better.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    If you are in the US or Canada you can purchase it in the Acer store. If outside those locales you have to contact Acer support.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jim86301
    Thanks for the reply. I looked on the Acer Store but could not find any USB Recovery sticks; do you have a part number?
  • billsey
    If you are in the US try here: https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery

• Jim86301
    Thanks for the link. Unfortunately when I enter my serial number I get "Recovery media is no longer available for the serial number you entered(age)." Maybe this machine is ready for the junk pile.
  • billsey
    It is possible, can you get in well enough to do a backup, then a fresh install of W8 or W8.1?
  • Jim86301
    I can't get back into Windows 8 nor does there appear to be any “restore points” or “system image” files on the computer. I think the only solution is to restore it from a bootable USB drive, if I could find one for such an old (2012) machine.

• billsey
    So, download the W8 install image from Microsoft (not from any third party sites) and burn a bootable image to a flash drive using Rufus. Boot from there, go into repair your computer then command prompt and see if you can still see the files on the C drive. If so you can copy the important data off to another flash drive then do a clean W8 install, followed by the free W8.1 upgrade. You might have to download some drivers from the Acer support site, especially the Wifi driver.
  • Jim86301
    Many thanks billsey: The idea of burning a bootable image to a flash drive worked great! All my other machines are Macs so the first problem was to be able to actually create the bootable flash drive; using Rufus was not an option. After I tried several approaches I finally was able to accomplish the objective using an altered version of Apple's Boot Camp Assistant. Once I completed the process I was able to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 on the Acer PC.

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Sweet! I thought that might get you up and running again. Be aware that MS will be dropping support for W8.1 within the 2-4 years (IIRC), so you'll want to plan an upgrade for that time frame. W8.1 was a nice OS, but W10 is nicer and always getting better.