Acer Aspire VX15 (VX5-591G) screen problem

Mauritian
Mauritian Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi there!
Problem occurred in mid November 2019 and becoming worse with time. 
OS info: I am using Windows 10. I have all the recent updates of Windows 10 under fast track of updates, so ideally should receive all the updates as soon as they are appearing.
I am using two screens 80% of the time.
First sights of the problem: my main screen started blinking under some angle (when I was folding my screen). Second screen is pretty fine. Tried to detect some mechanical issue of laptop but nothing was detected.
Second sight: Time to time after going into hibernation or simply falling asleep main screen stopped reacting while second screen that was connected to the laptop was recognized. Can be both mechanical and program issue. Troubleshooting didnt help. But brute-force restart could manage to solve the problem.
Nowadays: Every time the laptop falls asleep it is down. Restart doesnt help. After turning it on I can see Acer logo and black screen after. The fact that I see the logo tells me that it is not a mechanical problem (otherwise I would see nothing). I can launch BIOS settings, I can launch Windows settings (well, at least that what I think it is. My laptop is in German and I dont speak the language of my laptop (that gets hilarious when you see death screen in German lol)). In the setings mode I need to delete all windows updates and then it can be launched.
The weird thing is that it still recognizes second screen. But why do I need laptop that works with external screen only?

I started searching for solutions of my problem. I already had tested battery reset and it didnt help. I reinstalled videocard drivers with same result. 
Now even if I wont manage to solve the problem which I think is simply Windows OS problem, I want to switch to Linux. But again all tutorials I found on web tell me that I need to split my HDD. Well I dont have it. I have 2 SSD. Should I follow the same procedure in this case? 

I need help for at least 1 one the problems. Either help me solve the screen issue, or help me install linux as second OS pleeeeaaaassseee

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The video ribbon cable for the laptop screen probably needs to be replaced due to conductor trace breaks usually found in the hinge due to wear and tear of opening/closing the lid too much. Google 'VX5-591G' & 'video cable' for vendors convenient to your location. Usually less than $20 USD for a new ribbon cable. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The video ribbon cable for the laptop screen probably needs to be replaced due to conductor trace breaks usually found in the hinge due to wear and tear of opening/closing the lid too much. Google 'VX5-591G' & 'video cable' for vendors convenient to your location. Usually less than $20 USD for a new ribbon cable. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mauritian
    Mauritian Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks, @JackE
    I will definitely take a look.