ACER SWIFT 3 laptop keyboard A X C F N not working

Steph12345
Steph12345 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Does anyone have solutions to fix this error of AXCFN not working. Only works sometimes if I repeatedly press on each individual key several times. I’ve tried battery reset and uninstalling then reinstalling the keyboard it still didn’t fix the problem. Been happening for about a year now and laptop is about 1.5 years old only. 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    Do the keys work correctly with an external keyboard plugged in?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Steph12345
    Yes the keys work with an external keyboard billsey said:
    Do the keys work correctly with an external keyboard plugged in?

• billsey
    edited February 2020
    Then it's likely a hardware problem with the keyboard. The keyboard has multiple layers of film with contacts under the keys. When you press a key it pushes the contacts together and he matrix formed by that contact tells which key is pressed. If there is a crack in the traces that run between contacts you won't see any of the keys that use that trace. It typically show as several keys not working. If you are still in warranty contact Acer support for a repair. If out of warranty let us know (include your full model number) and we'll look up the part number for the keyboard. I the mean time, the external keyboard is a work around.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Steph12345
    Thank you its out of warranty - acer swift 314-54 
  • Steph12345
    billsey said:
    Then it's likely a hardware problem with the keyboard. The keyboard has multiple layers of film with contacts under the keys. When you press a key it pushes the contacts together and he matrix formed by that contact tells which key is pressed. If there is a crack in the traces that run between contacts you won't see any of the keys that use that trace. It typically show as several keys not working. If you are still in warranty contact Acer support for a repair. If out of warranty let us know (include your full model number) and we'll look up the part number for the keyboard. I the mean time, the external keyboard is a work around.
    Thank you it’s out of warranty - acer swift s3f14-54 series
  • Steph12345
    Was reading this article which had the same issue, should I attempt to fix it to this solution?  https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/572185/swift-3-sf314-54-keyboard-problem-potential-solution
  • Steph12345
    Also the same keys not working (a x c f n) do work if I repeatedly press down and at other random times 
  • billsey
    It certainly wouldn't hurt to try that solution. My next step was going to be trying to reseat the cable in case one contact was fighting a little corrosion.
  • Steph12345
    billsey said:
    It certainly wouldn't hurt to try that solution. My next step was going to be trying to reseat the cable in case one contact was fighting a little corrosion.
    Can you please provide some more explanation maybe step by step with visuals. I am completely new to this and would like some further guidance given I have no experience 
  • billsey
    Let me see if I can condense it a little:
    You might be able to skip the actual battery pack removal if you can access the keyboard connector after removing the adhesive tape. Reverse it all to put it back together...
  • Steph12345

billsey said:
    Let me see if I can condense it a little:
    You might be able to skip the actual battery pack removal if you can access the keyboard connector after removing the adhesive tape. Reverse it all to put it back together...
    Thank you for providing a detailed explanation, how should I go about removing the battery cable? 
  • billsey
    Once you have the tape holding it in place off you should be able to just pull it off. I usually use a couple of the picks used to disassemble phones and laptops to pull on each side of the connector, but fingernails would likely work as well.