[Aspire 7 A715-71G-56YF] Issue with Debian dualboots

Options
Gwynbleidd96
Gwynbleidd96 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello everybody, 

I have some issues to make a dualboot with Debian distributions (Kali, Ubuntu, ParrotOS, ...) on my laptop.
I can install the OS and use it partially but there are every time some big errors (like randoms freezes, missing functionnalities, driver errors, ...) 
Actually when i want to install or launch a Debian OS, i have a error message about the certificate X.509 and i think this is the main issue (because with a Arch Linux OS like Manjaro i don't have this type of warnings). 
Of course, the secure boot is disabled but in my BIOS i can not select a trusted file because the option is grayed out... (However i have set a supervisor password). 

Any idea to solve my issue ? Thank you in advance and sorry for bad english :)
In screenshots below don't notice the errors about the boot, my USB stick was sick !

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good afternoon Gwynbleidd96 !

Starting from the basics:

1- on Windows, the system's quick boot must be disabled
    2- bios, must be set to UEFi, with Secure Boot disabled, with Boot Menu F12 active and Sata Mode in AHCi
    3- ISO Linux must be exclusively x64 bits

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Gwynbleidd96

Tinkerer

Options
    MaClane said:
    Good afternoon Gwynbleidd96 !

Starting from the basics:

1- on Windows, the system's quick boot must be disabled
    2- bios, must be set to UEFi, with Secure Boot disabled, with Boot Menu F12 active and Sata Mode in AHCi
    3- ISO Linux must be exclusively x64 bits

Hi thank you for your answer, i have already tested these manipulations and nothing have changed... Always the same warnings with certificate X.509 !
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I had a problem similar to yours. Have you disabled the nvidia video card? Also, do you have an SSD and HDD installed? If so, try disabling hdd, if you are installing on ssd.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Gwynbleidd96

Tinkerer

Options
    I had a problem similar to yours. Have you disabled the nvidia video card? Also, do you have an SSD and HDD installed? If so, try disabling hdd, if you are installing on ssd.
    No i haven't disabled it because i need it (i have to use the power of cuda cores in a decipherment software). Windows is installed on a SSD and the other OS is installed on a HDD (So i need to boot on the HDD to display GRUB).
    So your Linux dualboots are also bugged ? Or you have just the same warnings but no others issues ? Thx.
  • Gwynbleidd96

Tinkerer

Options
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Yes, I have the model AN515-51 which shares the same motherboard as the model A715-71G. Version 1.21 is not the most recent. The most recent is version 1.22:
    https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.22_A_A.zip?acerid=636896848943847731&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=NITRO&Step3=NITRO AN5BCLC-&&ALLACER&SC=PA_3
    Now, about your problem, I think you have to disable the nvidia video card with the command nouveau.modeset=0
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ed4myra
    ed4myra Member Posts: 80 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hello everybody, 

Actually when i want to install or launch a Debian OS, i have a error message about the certificate X.509 and i think this is the main issue (because with a Arch Linux OS like Manjaro i don't have this type of warnings). 
    Of course, the secure boot is disabled but in my BIOS i can not select a trusted file because the option is grayed out... (However i have set a supervisor password). 

Sounds like your live USB is not made correctly in UEFI mode.

I never had issues with installing Ubuntu, so let us check how you created the USB; you can use Rufus or balena Etcher. Make sure that when you use Rufus, the target system is "UEFI-CSM".

Because your laptop has an Optimus nvidia gpu, you can try to install Ubuntu Budgie LTS 18.04, one of my favourites. During install procedure, choose "Install additional drivers", so both the intel as well as the native nvidia driver will be installed. The nice thing about Ubuntu Budgie is that it is provided with a nvidia switch app - nvidia x server settings, so you can choose to make one of the gpu's active - either intel or nvidia. So not necessary to change the grub kernel settings.

• Gwynbleidd96

Tinkerer

Options
    Yes, I have the model AN515-51 which shares the same motherboard as the model A715-71G. Version 1.21 is not the most recent. The most recent is version 1.22:
    https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.22_A_A.zip?acerid=636896848943847731&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=NITRO&Step3=NITRO AN5BCLC-&&ALLACER&SC=PA_3
    Now, about your problem, I think you have to disable the nvidia video card with the command nouveau.modeset=0
    Ok thank you for your answer i'm gonna try this ! (do you know why there isn't the lastest BIOS version on the download page of my laptop ? )
  • Gwynbleidd96

Tinkerer

Options
    ed4myra said:
    Hello everybody, 

Sounds like your live USB is not made correctly in UEFI mode.

I never had issues with installing Ubuntu, so let us check how you created the USB; you can use Rufus or balena Etcher. Make sure that when you use Rufus, the target system is "UEFI-CSM".

Because your laptop has an Optimus nvidia gpu, you can try to install Ubuntu Budgie LTS 18.04, one of my favourites. During install procedure, choose "Install additional drivers", so both the intel as well as the native nvidia driver will be installed. The nice thing about Ubuntu Budgie is that it is provided with a nvidia switch app - nvidia x server settings, so you can choose to make one of the gpu's active - either intel or nvidia. So not necessary to change the grub kernel settings.

At my first attempts, yes my USB flash drive was sick then i used a SanDisk USB stick and i was able to boot (but always with the same warning). 
    I used many methods to flash my drive, Win32DiskImager, Rufus, Etcher, Linux Live USB creator, ... And it was always the same issue ! 
    Maybe my 2 USB sticks are broken, i'm gonna buy a new one to test (because this is the same warning on my other PC with MSI BIOS...). 

I didn't know Ubuntu Budgie, that seems very interresting ! I'm going to test this distrib and give you a feedback in the few days thank you !
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Regarding version 1.22, I don't know the reason for not being on your model's link. However, it will work without problems in my opinion.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer